Venom (October 5, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Umbari likes this.
  2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I had a total brain lapse. I forgot all about the Marvel character and thought it might be a remake of the Klaus Kinski/Oliver Reed film.
    “The snake is loose!”

Hardy should be great as always.

KeninDC likes this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Love Hardy, hate Venom! Marvel took one of the few 'alternate' outfits of a main character that worked, Spiderman's, and made it into this Hulk-lite character with this ridiculous 2 ft. long tongue. I notice in the trailer there was no sign of the outfit OR the tongue!;) All that said, The character has always been a hit for Marvel which means the kids like him, so what do I know!?

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just saw the trailer......hated it!!! What a waste of a fine actor, but God willing, it'll be a big hit for him and he'll reap the financial benefits. The worst part is when the fukakta suit makes its appearance, which means bye bye Tom Hardy, hello total CGI videogame character. But, I never understood the popularity of Venom from the very beginning, so what do I know? Maybe it'll out-gross the Panther!;)

5. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Just wondering, if the film's marketing and publicity campaign explicitly refers to the main character as an "anti-hero", can that character still be considered an anti-hero?
    :hide:

Venom Movie on Twitter

6. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I'm still in disbelief Sony/Marvel put the carriage in front of the horse and made a movie devoid of Spider-Man and the symbiotes' first connection to him, not Eddie.

Strat-Mangler and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good catch! Here is the poster from that link:

[​IMG]

And here is a new trailer:

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Anyone else thinks this movie looks like ****? All of the trailers I've seen so far are provoking a very negative reaction out of me for some reason, maybe it's because I hate the look of Venom.

AceFrehleyJr likes this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I actually thought Spider-Man 3 did Venom right, but I'm a fan of those Raimi movies which makes me an outsider. The suit corrupts the host, any good deeds are arbitrary and come only in the wake of the suit seeking its own benefit. No idea how you'd frame a movie around that, but maybe in more recent times the Venom character has modified in ways to make it an anti-hero. The look of the trailer isn't good to me either, but maybe it'll be a decent action movie who knows.

genesim, eric777 and Encuentro like this.
  10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm on the outside with you, so you're not alone. I enjoyed the Raimi movies, including Spider-Man 3. Yes, I even enjoyed the dancing scene. I'm not a fan of the Andrew Garfield movies, and I thought Homecoming was okay but nothing special.

genesim and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The movie's ONLY saving grace is Tom Hardy. He's been very smart choosing his projects. That's why this one is such a head-scratcher 'cause it looks really, really bad. Can it be that he knows something we don't? Nah, maybe the kids'll dig it and its the start of a franchise. I think one of the primary reasons a-list actors choose to do superhero flicks is 'cause it like winning the lottery for them, over and over!

Ghostworld likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

WE ARE VENOM.

Second trailer was better.

13. alexpop

S-M3 was my favourite.

Encuentro likes this.
  14. alexpop

The tongue?

Captain Beefheart homage album title. :D

15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think Venom looks great.

I am probably the target audience for this film, since I seem to have a "forever rage" behind my eyes (which always gives me away :)).

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New promo :p

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Randy Moss is a national treasure!

18. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Gonna catch this tonight ……….. but keeping my expectations low.

19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Enjoyed it ……….. I don't care what Rotten Potatoes say.
    I thought Hardy played the goofier side of the character really well.
    I've only ever seen his serious hard man roles.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Well Rotten Tomatoes didn't say anything about Venom, out of 103 critic reviews counted so far 72 are Rotten.

At some future gala event where Tom Hardy is being feted for his incredible acting career, the clip from Venom will be the one that gets the audience laughing.
    October 4, 2018 | Rating: 2/4 |Peter Howell - Toronto Star

A picture in the running for the dubious distinction of being perhaps the worst Marvel-derived origin story ever. And that includes the odious 2015 "Fantastic Four."
    Soren Andersen - Seattle Times

21. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It was a relief to see a [associated] Marvel film that had just 4 characters and not 67 to focus on.
    Short and to the point.
    Not too much throwing each other through buildings with no ill affects.

I hope at the future event they are laughing at the clips ……….. there were some funny moments in his descent to the bottom of his life ......…. and from the Venom inhabiting him.
    It just shows he's got more than one dimension to him.

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're missing the spirit in which these comments were written. It's unintentionally funny. And I have to agree that everything about the trailer looks terrible. The look, the licking, the voice, etc. Just terrible.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No idea what Tom Hardy is like in real life so I'm wondering whether he's saying these comments tongue-in-cheek or if it's biting criticism of the final product.

Tom Hardy: 'My favourite 40 minutes of Venom were cut from the film'

Highlights include ;

- When asked "What was your favourite scene to film?" he said: "Things that aren’t in this movie."
    - "There are, like, 30 to 40 minutes' worth of scenes that aren’t in this movie... all of them. Mad puppeteering scenes, dark comedy scenes. You know what I mean? They just never made it in."

24. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Surely it's not as bad as that Fantastic Four Movie. That's worse even than Affleck's Daredevil and X3 combined. If nothing else, Tom Hardy is usually pretty fun to watch in just about anything.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think fans can expect a second "R" rated version of the film for the Blu-Ray-4K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.