EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

American as very “meh” to me, especially considering the number of albums they put out. But Sister Golden Hair I quite like, though I agree with someone else that it doesn’t really strike me as number one material, as much as I enjoy it. A real nice, breezy flowing song and I never get tired of hearing it. To my comment on the number of albums they had, I just recalled that the greatest hits album I have seemed like a struggle to fill with material. I like all their hits, they just didn’t really have many.

2. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Philadelphia Freedom

Right around this time, I moved towns for the only time in my childhood. Up until Spring of 1975, we had lived in Detroit, but then we moved to New England, where I lived until college. This is one of the earliest songs that I exclusively associate with my new hometown. I was in third grade, so 8 years old.

My main early memory after the move was the Bicentennial. We spent a lot of time in school in 1975 and 1976 talking about it. Our teachers even built a colonial house near the school (think of the scene from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; a traditional house raising). The house was still standing when I visited the school in the early 2000s, albeit with a bit more carved graffiti than before.

I like Philly Freedom. Not hugely, but it shows just how well Elton could come up with catchy melodies and hooks. I watched a lot of tennis in the 70s, but it started maybe a year or two after this song came out, so I didn't know about the Billy Jean King connection. Cool to learn!

(Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song

OK, is this the song with the longest title that reached #1?

I can think of one song coming up that's a medley, and without looking it up, I think the title may have included ALL the songs in the medley. But other than something like that, I think this might win the prize, eh?

BJ Thomas is OK, but this is far from my favorite of his songs. We seem to be hitting a fallow period on the charts...

He Don't Love You (Like I Love You)

I had totally forgotten about this one, but hearing just a few notes caused it to rush back like a typhoid outbreak.

Not my favorite artistes, Dawn and Mr. Orlando. I do like the original of this number quite a bit more, and this was yet another song that was in my handy dandy book of simple-to-learn piano pieces.

Were Tony O and Co still on TV at this time? I do remember watching their show quite a bit with the parents back in the day.

snowman872 and sunspot42 like this.
  3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Sure were. Up to the end of '76.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think America was a pretty lousy band overall, but this one works for me - probably because it sounds like an outtake from a lost George Harrison album...

5. John54

John54 Senior Member

Sister Golden Hair: passable, very much so, one of their best I think (although not near my favourite I Need You), certainly one of the best no. 1 songs in the few years before and after.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They said it was inspired by him, so mission accomplished!

Cheevyjames likes this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

At the time, yes, I remember Casey Kasem telling all of us geeky AT40 fans that indeed Wrong Song was the longest number one title.

pablo fanques and Grant like this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, I assume you grew up in the Pacific northwest, so you live in a weird area of the country, anyway.:D

9. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Yes, correct. Still holds the record for longest title of a #1 song to this day.

Jrr and Grant like this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

We're a couple of weeks past it's chart peak (#35) but I feel remiss in not pointing out Supertramp's first chart single Bloody Well Right.

JeffreyB, Jrr, sunspot42 and 7 others like this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I remember hearing this on the radio a lot back then, and thinking that is was quite an unusual song compared to what I usually heard.

pablo fanques likes this.
  12. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

That's bloody well one of my favorite Supertramp songs. The long electric piano intro is terrific and the song itself is a real rocker.

Plus those exaggerated "quite right"s are hilarious.

I'm not in the "Supertramp were better before they got popular" crowd, but they were definitely on a high point in '75.

Jrr and Victor/Victrola like this.
  13. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

Catching up:

HATED Freddy Fender's song at the time. I mean, it was one I'd get out of my chair and walk across the room to find another station if it came on--that kind of hate (I don't get up for just anything!). I still don't like it.

John Denver's song was the subject of some ribald rewriting, and I won't demean myself by repeating it here. But I do remember it. I liked it at the time, and still like hearing it now and then, but I don't own it.

America was a group that was always "just there" for me in this time frame. The two songs they did that I liked most weren't big hits--"Only In Your Heart" and "Daisy Jane" both are on my playlist on my MP3 player. Of the rest of their hits, I'd put "Sister Golden Hair" way up the list, and when it comes on the radio now, I don't turn it off unless I've heard it in the previous month.

JcS

14. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Did " Sister Golden Hair " say " correspondent ' + letter writer - or " co- respondent ", this legal phrase I"d have to look up now?:confused:

15. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I remember Robert Christgau referring to this song as ' an impassioned plea for complacency '!:eek::D

Thumb, post: 19624783, member: 70080"]That's bloody well one of my favorite Supertramp songs. The long electric piano intro is terrific and the song itself is a real rocker.

Plus those exaggerated "quite right"s are hilarious.

I'm not in the "Supertramp were better before they got popular" crowd, but they were definitely on a high point in '75.[/QUOTE]

Black Thumb likes this.
  16. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Grant likes this.
  17. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

"I've been one poor correspondent."

WLL likes this.
  18. John54

John54 Senior Member

Never liked Bloody Well Right. It was one of the (very few) songs that I attempted to hear on the radio, without success. Eventually I heard If Everyone Was Listening, and decided that was enough to buy Crime of the Century. Had I heard Bloody Well Right, I would have just forgotten about the whole thing. Well, at least until I heard Hide in Your Shell ...

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  19. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now we have the biggest hit of 1975, "Love will Keep Us Together", by Captain and Tennille, #1 from June 15 - July 18, 1975.

20. alphanguy

And here was have the original version by Mac And Katie Kissoon:

lightbulb and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

As a teenager in the '80s, the Captain and Tennille were one of those acts we were all supposed to hate because they were so square and old-fashioned from our point of view, yet I knew quite a few people who liked or even loved this song. I remember my best friend buying a copy on the A&M "memories" label (the pink and white one). He had some pleasant memories of watching them on TV with his mother when he was little. As he and his mother hated each other with a passion by the time we were in high school, that was pretty bittersweet for him - but we did like the song and a few others. (For my part, I had an original copy of "The Way I Want to Touch You" in my collection, still the only C&T record I own.)

22. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

You couldn’t miss this song in 1975. It was the biggest single of the year.

A few months ago, I posted this about comment about Toni Tennille being an underrated vocalist: She had a fabulous voice with great vocal range, and she could sing all kinds of songs. Unfortunately, she wasted that voice on a lot of crap with shoddy production courtesy of her husband, Daryl Dragon. What she needed was a top flight producer.

I still stand by that assessment. “Love Will Keep Us Together” is nice Sedaka pop tune, with a fine vocal from Toni Tennille. But it’s almost ruined by “The Captain’s” vast array of keyboard/synthesizer sludge. The Wrecking Crew supposedly played on this song, but I sure can’t hear any trace of them. I do like the song - it’s catchy enough to overcome its problems. I think Toni Tennille was a real talent. She could sing sweet songs like “The Way I Want to Touch You” and soulful numbers like Billy Preston’s “Song of Joy” (a wonderful vocal). Her vocal range is on full display in their hit, “Lonlely Nights (Angel Face).” She may have developed into a fine AC songwriter - she wrote 2 Top 10 hits. If she only had a real producer...

23. alphanguy

She DID have a very impressive voice... no other better example than this:

24. alphanguy

This is another case of an act's biggest hit being some of their lesser work, IMO. "Lonely Night (Angel Face)" is a far superior song as far as I'm concerned, and my personal favorite was this one:

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

If we're forming the Toni Tennille Fanclub, I'll add the bouncey I'm On My Way and this torcher:

Hoover Factory likes this.