Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wow, "Double Negative" is really good. The production techniques may be contemporary but conceptually this is not light years removed from the Kranky label's aesthetic. In fact some elements here remind me of early Labradford. I also love how the songs float into each other. How is this live?

Maybe I should check out more Low albums because the only one I had since release is "Secret Name". "Songs For A Dead Pilot", "Things We Lost In The Fire" and "Curtain Hits The Cast" have all left my collection at various stages. The latter because it was a reissue. On... urgh.. Plain. :hurl:

2. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I didn't like it on first listen - couldn't even make it half way through. It's been touted as a stunning artistic statement, and it is indeed quite a challenging work, but I've yet to decipher its beauty.

I will give it another try some time, for sure.

mschrist likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not sure about the "artistic statement", I just like the sound of the album. And I hate how all Low records I've missed, have quite decent ratings/ reviews. And for the life of me, I have no idea why (and when) I sold "Things We Lost In The Fire". Must have seemed like a good idea at the time. :crazy:

mschrist likes this.
  4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

As long as you didn't sell the first one. I saw it for over $100 in a store :oops:

Neonbeam likes this.
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I mean, I always step carefully when I recommend records that are abrasive and noisy. I've done time in the trenches and absolutely love stuff from artists like Wolf Eyes, Merzbow, Les Rallizes denudes, Sunn O))), Full of Hell, Sunburned Hand of the Man and Prurient - so a little abrasive noise and glitchery doesn't bother me in the least. But as you can see from posts in here, others have a real visceral reaction to it. I think it's really cool. And I've actually grown to love it more with additional spins, it is fully deserving of the hype.

6. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Might not be the best choice for getting reacquainted with them (although I really like it)!
    Try C’mon or The Invisible Way first - their most accessible albums and the high water mark for me.

oots, mschrist, ralphb and 2 others like this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Visceral is the right word

mschrist and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  8. Freedom Rider

Thanks for the heads up. Been meaning to delve deeper into their discography as I'm basically new to them, so these two will be a good place to start, methinks.

Neonbeam, oots and lonelysea like this.
  9. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Soccer Mommy - Clean

Still a great album

10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

You gotta start w the first and best album! "I could live in hope" :thumbsup:

11. slosaint

slosaint Forum Resident

Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour
    Amanda Shires To The Sunset
    Cowboy Junkies All That Reckoning
    Natalie Prass The Future and the Past
    Aaron Lee Tasjan Karma For Cheap
    Paul McCartney Egypt Station

.....to name a few

oots, mschrist and Cherrycherry like this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The new Bob Moses ( a band...not a person) has a nice downtempo with vocals vibe:

Maurice and NorthNY Mark like this.
  13. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

What a great thread.

Since I’m new here, lots of what I’d would have posted is already (Mainly Virginia Wing and Lake Ruth, I’m looking at you Davey)

Besides those two being my 2nd and 3rd favorites this year, I’ve not seen my number one listed.

Lowtide - Southern Mind

[​IMG]

This is the second lp from this Aussie 3 piece and much stronger than the debut. This band is part of what I’d called the shoegaze rival. Good Songwriting, guy/girl vocals, and wall of sound guitars. True to what made it great in the UK in ‘91. I really think their sound is like The Chameleons mixed with elements of Slowdive.

Southern Mind LP, by Lowtide

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I love both of these albums... I forgot about the Alaskan Tapes one actually. Will listen to that again tonight. Definitely recommended.

15. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

A great archival 2018 release. It is performed on the rudra (a bassy sitar-like instrument) and was recorded in Seattle in 1986.

oots and scompton like this.
  16. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Another archival at the Roxy album (besides Neil Young’s excellent ‘18 release), the Zappa Roxy album.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    scompton likes this.
  17. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

The Jonny Greenwood composed OST for “Phantom Thread” is indubitably gorgeous. I’m not familiar with many soundtracks, but this is top notch.

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Ideological Organ put out two archival recordings by Ustad Zia Mohuddin Dagar that day. The other is good too. I bought them both. It’s a lot more ambient than most Indian music you hear.

zphage and Ironclaw like this.
  19. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

“After,” a live album of mostly songs from “A Crow Looked at Me,” gives another view on those difficult songs about grief. Phil is one of the artists that I collect nearly everything he does because it’s almost always illuminating.

Terrapin Station and JL6161 like this.
  20. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Just found something exceptional. It’s like a cross between Idlewild and Solstafir. Very well played and produced. Singing is otherworldly and emotive. The musician is known for his work in avante metal bands - though this project is much more subdued.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  21. Freedom Rider

Duly noted, thanx!:):thumbsup:

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Carla Bozulich, Francesco Guerri & Marc Ribot - Quieter

mschrist and scompton like this.
  23. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yea, that is nice, I'm a pretty big sucker for that vintage shoegaze and dreampop sound, especially with some post punk and female voices mixed in, as you say, quite a revival in recent times, just an unimaginable number of bands and albums out there now, I easily find a few really nice ones every year. Tried to get a thread going on the overabundance a couple years ago, but you probably know how far that usually goes here :)

Best Shoegaze and Dream Pop of 2016

Speaking of sheogaze revival, listening to the new one from Magic Shoppe this morning called In Parallel, pretty nice ...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Cherrycherry, Dolemite and noname74 like this.
  24. noname74

Checked them out on BC...liked it a lot so will order the CD. Thanks!

Dolemite and Davey like this.
  25. noname74

I enjoyed that...will go to BC and check them out. Big fan of Virginia Wing based on your recommendation a couple of years ago....tried to get into Lake Ruth but it's not sticking. Nothing wrong with it but didn't grab me...may give them another shot later today if I have time.