Stereolab - new vinyl press

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronica S2A, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I would say "Transient ...". Their ABC Music/BBC Radio Sessions compilation is a great start as well, double CD and covers a number of years

polchik and GordonM like this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

3. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Many claim Emperor Tomato Ketchup and Dots & Loops are the high marks, but for me, Mars Audiac Quintet is the masterpiece.

Travadinho and Summerisle like this.
  4. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Happy to have a new Peng! Mine is beat

John Bliss likes this.
  5. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

One of the owners of Stranded ran that crappy 1972 label that reissued a few Stereolab albums.

6. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I can’t access Bullmoose’s site from this side of the pond. Who do they have down as the label for ‘Peng!’ and ‘The Groop...’?

7. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

TooPure

hamicle likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... Too Pure already reissued "Peng!" in 2008, pressed by United. Even though it looked like a UK release. Is the new one "Pure LP 11" again? Not sure how much Gane is involved. Rather seems like a cash-in using a handy moment.

9. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I thought I read somewhere that Tim/the Groop had acquired the rights to the Elektra catalog and they would be part of a comprehensive reissue campaign? I was thinking this was the start of that.

10. Neonbeam

"Peng!" was never on Elektra. Beginning with "Transient Ambient Noise" the CD version was on Elektra while the band's very own Duophonic label handled the vinyl edition. The exception being "Emperor Tomato Ketchup" where Elektra did an additional vinyl version and managed to cram the complete album on a single disc.

From "Dots & Loops" onwards things got more complicated with a Drag City contract for the USA.

Bottom line: In theory new Gane approved Stereolab vinyl reissues should be on Duophonic.

John Bliss, hamicle and GordonM like this.
  11. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah, I was talking about the Switched On reissues, not the Peng/SABP reissues. I realize Switched On weren't on Elektra either...what I actually said was that the Elektra releases would be PART of a COMPREHENSIVE reissue campaign, that these Switched On reissues were the start of.

12. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

13. Neonbeam

Oooh, I guess I misunderstood you then. The "Switched On" reissues are definitely genuine. And hopefully the start of a comprehensive reissue campaign. :righton:

mishima's dog likes this.
  14. arem

arem Forum Resident

If it's on Duophonic, Tim Gane is probably involved. All of the Cavern Of Anti-Matter releases have been on Duophonic.

15. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Got switched on vol 1 and 2 yesterday and feel like a happy bunny. They look and sound great; excellent reissues indeed! For comparisons sake, I also own an original pressing of Switched On Vol 1... the new reissue seems to have more bottom end and is a tad bit quieter as my first press copy. Apart from slightly better bass and noise floor and the vinyl color it’s hard to distinguish original from remaster through my system (Grado GH2/RS2e headphones, Canton Ergo 902 DC speakers, NAD C352 amp). Refried Ectoplasm is a great pressing aswell, but I have nothing to compare it against except for a digital copy. It sounds crisp, warm, clear and full, much nicer soundstage than my original cd issue.
    Can’t wait for Aluminum Tunes to arrive! These reisssues/remasters are pure joy and ear candy, highly recommended, even for owners of originals.

16. arem

arem Forum Resident

I just got all three in the mail today and haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I wanted to warn people that the outside sleeves appear to be made of PVC which is notorious for reacting badly with vinyl records over time. Probably a good idea to ditch them for something more archival. Everything else looks great on initial inspection.

erowid likes this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Psyched to get these today. I have originals of vols 1 and 3. (Well my vol 1 is actually a Too Pure reissue). The original US Aluminum Tunes using Duophonic stampers sounds fab.

erowid likes this.
  18. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

In other news: assuming you Stereolab lovers like the Beta Band too, their reissue of The Three EPs on colored vinyl is just as awesome as those Stereolab records. This seems to be a good season for us fans of experimental 90s indie, a bad one for the wallet!

jason202, hamicle and Gavinyl like this.
  19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I'm happy to see any activity from Tim Gane and the Stereolab catalog.

I hope that he assembles a Switched On, Vol. 4. There's more than enough material. My own wrap-up of their later Tour Singles, promo-only single and oddities goes like this:
    [​IMG]
    ...but I'm sure there's a lot more stuff lurking in the shadows.

These are the source singles (and the Yeti disc) for the 17 tracks that I have:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Jarra Lad, jupiter8, 3Dman and 8 others like this.
  20. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Add Simple Headphone Mind?

I've just received the Switched On Vols 1-3 CD box set. So far, pleased with the packaging.

jupiter8 and vcpj like this.
  21. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Where is that from?

EDIT: I never got that Stereolab/Nurse with Wound disc, grrrr...

22. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Duophonic, 1997 - maybe a bit earlier that those other releases but left out of previous comps. Entry on discogs.

23. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Would be delighted to get a ‘Switched On Vol 4’, have been hoping for one for years.

team2, Guy E and GordonM like this.
  24. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I don't know why this eluded me, but I just downloaded it from Bandcamp. It sounds good and it's nice to hear something new [to me] by the groop. As you say, it does predate the earliest single on that comp that I assembled - The Stereolab Underground is Coming is from 1999. They might not like including collaborations on their albums... UiLab, etc. and Simple Headphone Mind was marketed as an album.

25. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

UILab - forgot about that one - but it was released under its own name UILab rather than being Stereolab / UI. On the other hand, Simple Headphone Mind was Stereolab / Nurse With Wound as per the two tracks by that collaboration on Switched On Vol 2. You could also argue Music for the Amorphous... (another collab) on Vol3 was also a mini-album. Pointless arguments - but maybe SHM could slip into the hypothetical Vol 4. compilation :)

I'm fortunate enough to own both 12" and CD. As I remember (may be mis-remembering) the 12" was available with no word of it being available on CD, then a short while after it had a limited release on CD. Both are in a nice foil sleeves which have (unfortunately) a sticky fold-over seal which kind of makes it difficult to open without inflicting some damage.

vcpj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.