Kate Bush Album Poll: The Dreaming (1982)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Tracklisting:

1. Sat In Your Lap
    2. There Goes A Tenner
    3. Pull Out The Pin
    4. Suspended In Gaffa
    5. Leave It Open
    6. The Dreaming
    7. Night Of The Swallow
    8. All The Love
    9. Houdini
    10. Get Out Of My House

Additional information:

Dreaming (the) [album]

2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner Thread Starter

I went ahead and gave it a masterpiece vote, because it is, without a doubt in my mind, an astonishing piece of art.

3. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

The first album Kate had complete creative control over in her own studio. This freedom changed the way she wrote and recorded music, as she said: "the demos became the masters." As far as I am aware only Boston's Tom Scholz had ever actually done this before Kate.

Beyond all this it is a brilliant album from start to finish. I place it second just behind Hounds Of Love.

sunspot42, linclink and Mirror Image like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Probably her best album!

5. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

A masterpiece.

sunspot42, Scope J and linclink like this.
  6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

A joy of creative outpouring. Delightful. Her masterpiece.

sunspot42 and linclink like this.
  7. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Masterpiece. As I remarked elsewhere recently, it's the perfect midway point between the very self-consciously "theatrical" elements of the first three albums and the work of the more private, guarded Kate that followed.
    Also, while she always had creative control, I think The Dreaming is the first time where she stubbornly held onto the reins - regardless of how uncommercial and downright odd the direction may have been - and where her autonomy and outright ambition really paid off.

8. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

The best Kate Bush album in my opinion. Very artsy yet very approachable.

sunspot42 and Beamish13 like this.
  9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Probably wouldn’t even get released today: too brave, too bizarre, like Bowie’s Low which RCA didn’t even want in 1977.

Bush, like Eno, is the answer to the deeply naive people who say... music is free now? Well, the artist needs to tour more, and sell lots of T shirts. Yeah, right. All those non-existent Bush or Eno tours in the 1970s and 80s...hmmm. And yet they were two of the very best, but would be doomed these days, before they’d barely started!

The Dreaming...is fabulous.

10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’m ashamed to say I’ve never heard this album. Love the Sat In Your Lap single though.

Jimmy B., dezz and Northwind like this.
  11. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Her best album. A masterpiece.

sunspot42 and ConnieGuitar like this.
  12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Masterpiece. It's not just Kate Bush fans who should own it.

sunspot42, ConnieGuitar and linclink like this.
  13. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

The second vote for the fourth option. But most accept I neither understand it nor appreciate it.

14. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Loved "Sat In Your Lap" (along with the bonkers video) when it came out, but then heard the title track and thought "uh-oh, Kate's doing funny voices again.." which put me off a little. I do love Kate but at times across earlier albums, the conscious theatricality and silly accents would get a bit "much" at times. Give me a simple piano ballad any day (Moments Of Pleasure, etc.) I probably played it half a dozen times, and nothing took. Couldn't tell you the last time I listened to any of it.
    Yet when Hounds Of Love came out I fell headlong into it on first listen, and since then it's become one of maybe a handful of albums that I could listen to on an almost daily basis, and never get tired of.
    I'm not saying any of this to be contentious though - this isn't one of those "it's really not as good as you fools think it is" posts. What's obvious to me now is that I need to dig it out and listen to it again. There's a strong likelihood that 50-something me will "get" everything about this work that 20-something me didn't. Looking forward to it, silly accents and all.

Merrick and Parachute Woman like this.
  15. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

The title track is my least favourite on the album tbh...The rest of the 2nd side is brilliant though. :)

ippudo and dezz like this.
  16. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

I prefer Hounds of Love, but both albums are masterpieces, yes. Those last two songs, 'Houdini' and 'Get out of my House' are the highlights for me.

And I love how the album cover refers to 'Houdini'.

ConnieGuitar and Mirror Image like this.
  17. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Kate was on a roll by the time The Dreaming got released - according to Thompson's biography of her, she was inspired by having found new 'toys' to play with (Fairlight) and created multi-levelled soundscapes to the desparation of everyone involved in the production.

The final product is an absolute masterpiece, one that transcends genres and time and one that can only grow through close and repeated listening. Along with her two subsequent 80s albums - Hounds of Love and The Sensual World - this is essential Kate Bush and an album everybody should have heard at one point in their lives.

18. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

I'm currently reading this. I think it's brilliant.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Wonderful album. Unique, even.

Kate's last hurrah for me but what a way to go out!

no.nine and Hermes like this.
  20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I think it's a masterpiece. It's definitely my favourite of hers. Daring stuff.

carlwm likes this.
  21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Great read, really gets you fixed as a fan :agree:

blackstar likes this.
  22. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

Her best album, I always felt that Kate held back a bit on the weirdness for Hounds Of Love because of the negativity towards this album. This is the one album where we get pure unadulterated Kateness.

23. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

First time I heard it was on a holliday with the family in the mid 80's, going through Switzerland. On a café we had a coffee and I had a big dark Toblerone and suddenly I recognized Kate's voice with this strange irish sounding music. Night of the Swallows. I knew I had to get it some day, and a couple of years later I could afford albums and soon had every KB album.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  24. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'll probably be crucified for this but I've never been able to get into The Dreaming much. I suppose it's her most musically adventurous album, but that doesn't always translate to great music, IMO. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of "Never Forever" as well as the previous two albums than The Dreaming. For me, it's my least favorite Kate Bush album until The Red Shoes in 1993. But I acknowledge that I'm firmly in the minority on this.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm going to say a solid effort. It easily recommendable, but it is quite experimental and may be hard for some to get into.
    Certainly not a bad album, and if you already like Kate then I have no doubt that you will like this, but it is rather out there in some aspects.

SteveS1 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.