Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Well, looks like their delivery estimation thing cost them my order! Good to hear though that you’ll be getting it tomorrow :)

Carl80 and Graham like this.
  2. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Same. I'd forgotten it was out this month until today, and was actually planning to cancel it and put it on my Christmas list when I got home, but looks like Amazon decided for me!

kenbefound, Graham and Mr. Explorer like this.
  3. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I purchased the big box and the blue ray films, very nice job. The biggest kick for me is having "Mrs. Lennon" and "Midsummer New York" on the BR in surround sound. A cool reminder of how much I loved that single! NOW - I am (still) hoping that someday SOON, Yoko will collect all of J&Y's films and release them on BR. I want "Bottoms" in Hi-Def!

4. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I've been listening to the box all morning and think they did a great job. You have to truly love this album to get through it, as there are so many different versions of the same song that you're going to find yourself hitting the skip button a lot even if there's one track you don't love. The sound quality is very good, something I worried about before I placed the order. The remix of the original Imagine is noticeably different from the 2002 (?) remix and better IMHO. My favorite mixes are the Raw Studio Mixes, which are the same takes as the original album but without reverb or any of the studio effects that muddied up the original mix. Some people will miss the delay on the vocals, but I love hearing John's voice unadorned. My only complaint about these mixes is that George's slide playing on Gimme Some Truth and How Do you Sleep isn't as prominent as I would like. I found the Elements mixes to be superfluous. Granted, on Jealous Guy for example, Nicky Hopkins' piano playing is beautiful, I don't want to hear it separated from the vocal, it just sounds too karaoke. There is a version of I Don't Want to be a Soldier that I absolutely love, this coming from someone who dislikes the version on the original album. It sounds like a Plastic Ono Band outtake, very raw and reminiscent in some ways of I Found Out. The Evolution mixes are interviews followed by false starts, studio chatter, no complete songs, but it's fascinating to hear John get pissed off during Jealous Guy and snap at someone. It gives the impression that one wouldn't want to get on his bad side. I haven't listened to the surround mixes, but I think they did a fantastic job here, and I only wish they would give John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band the same treatment.

winston32, qtrules, supermd and 20 others like this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Are you a Prime member? If so, complain. I did last month about not receiving the new Paul Weller on release day (Fri) when they'd told me I'd receive it the following Wed. On their website on the Friday, the item showed "in stock" and I could even get delivery the next day for an added fee, or "Tue" with prime 2-day shipping. The clerk understood my frustration and credited my account THIRTY US$! For an item that cost $12.50. And then I actually received the album Monday instead of Wednesday...

6. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

I think it's time to split the shipping sagas into their own thread or create a new one for discussion about the set's content.

Who says yea?

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

qtrules, Lewisboogie, jlf and 23 others like this.
  7. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I've tried complaining but the email I had back did not really address the issue and only mentioned one of the two items ordered. I'm really non the wiser as to when I'll get the items. I am a Prime member and I have to say am very disappointed. I don't usually have any problem with release day deliveries. And this is two of them on the same day.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks....yes, I love JL/POB more than Imagine.

9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Yea.

10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Bring on the 5.1 reviews.

LennonCobain likes this.
  11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

12. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

Until Mayo’s video, I had no idea the super deluxe is not an LP size, but smaller—more like a 10 inch size.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

14. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Ha, and I thought it was going to be rectangular and book shaped!

Shaddam IV and Embracetheday like this.
  15. Simon A and Mr. Explorer like this.
  16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well, just going by the delivery estimates, I won't have my set for another two weeks or so, so I'll stay in this thread for now.

Can't say I'm in a rush to get it, only because I'm still working through listening to ALL my Lennon material. I'm currently up to a Walls And Bridges playlist. With about 36 hours left in total, I don't expect to be finished when Imagine arrives, but I might keep going anyway and save Imagine for after.

Meanwhile, just a general observation on Lennon, gleamed particularly from his home demos, is what an inspired musician and composer he was. Sure, he wasn't the best player, and was smart to pick an all star cast of top tier talent, but his music was pretty inventive. I think it's easy to forget because the albums featured all these musicians. It is easy to think that they were shaping the music, but just listening to his demos shows that most of it was already there, and that the musicians were just bringing it to life.

Also, John knew how to pick lead guitarists. I mean, c'mon, first George and then Jesse Ed Davis? You can't do much better than that!

17. beatlesaint

beatlesaint Forum Resident

Oh well that gives me some hope, mine still says Tuesday so as a Prime member I’m hoping for a similar email sometime this evening then.....fingers crossed

Oyster Boy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  18. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Mine is still showing Tuesday and Wednesday (bluray). Fingers crossed.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Probably why they didn’t say “nothing in the rears”?

20. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I expect so as they created a new Atmos mix for the theatrical presentation. Mine arrives tomorrow.

adm62 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  21. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Thank you. Mine will be here soon too.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Same here.

Mr. Explorer and beatlesaint like this.
  23. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

How is it that some people have already gotten this in the mail when the release date isn't until tomorrow.

24. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Has it been confirmed that the bluray will play on uk or European machines? UK amazon had been posting a warning that it wasn't playable

25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I preordered early as well and if they stiff me over this like they did with the Soft Cell set I'll take the business away from them. Amazon Prime is fulfilling fewer and fewer of its delivery promises ... it feels like they're trying to migrate their Prime customers onto faster shipping options. :mad:

beatlesaint and Oyster Boy like this.