How do you sell old gear?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by 1adam12, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1adam12

1adam12 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm in a situation where I'm thinking of selling my VPI turntable and Klaudio RCM. Please forgive my blasphemy! They just don't get a lot of use and I feel like the money could be put to better use upgrading other parts of my system.

I contacted a local hifi shop about the possibility of trading them in but it seems like they'd rather take it on consignment. This makes sense; they don't want the inventory risk and I don't fault them for that.

I'm not exactly excited about trying to put them on eBay or audiogon myself. Craigslist could be an option but I don't really see a lot of high dollar items in my area.

So, denizens of SHF, how do you sell old gear?

Gramps Tom likes this.
  2. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Great topic. I've had overwhelmingly positive experiences with sellers here in the SHF Classifieds. Mostly cd's & vinyl records, but I have purchased some equipment.

EBAY's current culture would keep me from listing equipment there....I plan on letting my heirs worry about those issues.

3. 1adam12

Exactly. eBay scares the crap out of me for big ticket items. My family just had to deal with a $9000 chargeback on a non-audio item. Was a major headache and they were extremely lucky to get the item back.

In an ideal world I'd keep the 'table for thirty years and not worry about it. It's just that I can't justify keeping it since I've probably used it less than 10 hours since I bought it almost two years ago.

Plus there's some McIntosh stuff calling my name...

Gramps Tom likes this.
  4. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

If I were in the selling mode, I wouldn't hesitate to list here in the SHF Classifieds.....

Dave likes this.
  5. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I'd list it here first!
    My personal track record on ebay has been very positive. I've been on the site as both a buyer and a seller for over 20 years, and 99.5% of the transactions have gone smoothly. I've bought speakers, headphones, and headphone amps. I've sold headphones, turntables, phono cartridges, several stereo amplifiers, and audio cables.

The hitch with ebay these days is that buyers expect a low-ball price for everything. If you are prepared to practically give your stuff away, someone will buy it, and then ebay takes 10% of the sale, and PayPal (which ebay owns) takes another 4%.

6. 1adam12

I'm going to have to look into the possibility of listing here on SHF.

But I just had a thought...

Maybe use eBay or Audiogon with local pickup as the only option. That would alleviate some of my anxiety about chargebacks and a fedex guy dropkicking my table from the truck to the front door.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've had decent luck with Facebook marketplace.

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

PayPal and eBay split in 2015, and after 2020 PayPal will no longer be the payments processor for eBay:

EBay is dumping PayPal for a Dutch rival

Craig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.