Bob Dylan US Tour 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lamus, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Heading over to the theater in a few hours to see Bob for the first time. He’s opening this leg of the tour here in Phoenix. I’ll post my impressions but since it’s my first time seeing him, I figure I’m going to be happy no matter what.

2. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Enjoy! Hard to believe it is over 40 years since my first Dylan show - Earl’s Court, London.

3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Going to the Beacon on 11/23, 24, and 29

warewolf95, RockRoom, oxegen and 4 others like this.
  4. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I saw him at kings dominion at least the roller coaster was fun.

warewolf95 and majorlance like this.
  5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have tickets for what will be my sixth time seeing him on Oct 12 in Tulsa, OK. If the setlist stays the same from what he has been doing lately I will be happy. First time I saw him was in 2001.

6. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

I look forward to your report. We saw him the first time on “Tour ‘74” with The Band (“Before the Flood”). We have tickets for the Chattanooga stop on this tour. It will be our seventh time to see Dylan in concert.

notesfrom and Maranatha5585 like this.
  7. Antivenom9808

Antivenom9808 Forum Resident

Lucky you. Enjoy the concert!

8. Lamus

Just got back from the show in PHX. Since it was my first show, I have no reference, but he seemed in good spirits and his voice was just fine. I enjoyed his band. I don't think anyone who has seen him in the past few years and who is willing to see him again would be disappointed. He played one or two songs I wasn't familiar with but otherwise the setlist tracked the shows he did last month (I'm sure someone will post it below when it shows up on Setlist).

Yes, Liam, there was ZERO banter from the stage. Not a single word. Glad you warned me or I might have taken it personally. I was surprised he took a bow at the end. Still, the vibe was good. There was a 14-year-old in the second row who was going crazy and Bob seemed to really enjoy that kid.

The big surprise for me was the rearrangements. I enjoyed many of the changes (Like a Rolling Stone was fascinating) but I would have liked him to include a bit more of the standard melody. Some of the songs were a quarter over before I figured out what they were. Of course, he can do what he wants. I'd be sick of the same melodies, too, if I played the same songs for 50 years.

I'm glad I went and I'm looking forward to hearing how the rest of the tour goes.

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Glad you got to see him.

Sure, his performance has changed. He’s older, no banter, etc etc...

First time I saw him was w Petty in the 80’s

But man...you saw “arguably” the greatest American rock artist of all time at least once in your life. What a memory ya get to take with you. Awesome!

10. h.egbert

h.egbert Forum Resident

Over on ER they are talking that Stu wasn’t onstage (obviously no replacement either). Any clues?

11. Lamus

12. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I saw him for the first time last month here in Melbourne. It was a great show with a pretty much identical set list. He did not utter one single word to the crowd during the entire 2 hours! Not even a ‘thank you’ or a ‘hello’! :D Just a nod and a smile and small bow at the end. It didn’t actually bother me, I thought it was funny but it sure upset some people sitting around me.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. LandHorses

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yeah the absence of Frank songs is the best thing about that setlist, IMO.

15. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

* Chattanooga, TN .. VIP
    * Huntsville, AL .. VIP

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Glad he's at least acting like he cares. Last time I saw him had a bad case of the mumbles. The music was ok considering we often didn't know what song it was. Or he did that thing we're he'd not sing for 3 beats andruneverythingtogetheronthelastbeat.

warewolf95, Sunflower and Lamus like this.
  17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My feelings exactly, given how much I love and revere Bob, but for me one and done was sufficient for this era's somewhat flattened-out live show.

Clanceman likes this.
  18. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

I'm amazed how many people are upset by the lack of interaction. I read complaints all the time on the FB Dylan page. I don't understand the mentality: you're seeing arguably the greatest songwriter in history but you need him to say "hello" for your evening to be worthwhile? People have such weird expectations and demands.

19. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Agreed. I didn’t go to hear him banter or talk to the audience and kind of liked his style! In fact, I have seen some artists where there was just too much talking and banter...it can get old very quickly.

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  20. bodine

bodine Senior Member

No more Ring-a-Ding-Dung!

21. bodine

bodine Senior Member

When I saw him at the Fox Theater in Detroit in 1991 he came out wearing a top hat, grinned at the audience and said: “So this is Detroit huh? They told me not to come here!”

And later in his set he played “Dust My Broom!”

DTK, fenderesq, ash1 and 1 other person like this.
  22. LandHorses

Same here. I'm actually more used to it seeing hundreds of 80s/90s Grateful Dead shows where the only audience interaction was Bob Weir announcing the set break. I prefer going to concerts just for music.

BDC and DesertHermit like this.
  23. Lamus

I don’t think anybody really gets that worked up about it. It’s just something that is outside of expectation so people comment on it. If Bob Dylan came over to your house to play you some songs and walked in and walked out without acknowledging you existed, you would think it was quite odd behavior. Part of the experience of seeing a performer live is some sort of human interaction. It’s what makes it different from watching the same performance on a giant TV screen piped in from miles away.

It’s a human thing. Not really that weird at all.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Seeing the Bobster on the 9th :cool:

First time in a long while!

Lamus likes this.
  25. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I saw Bob for the first time in Melbourne a month or two ago. It was an experience that still stays with me. Such a great show, I loved every moment of it. The rearrangements were fascinating (there was some interesting melodic choices in Tangled Up in Blue for example). He seemed to be in high spirits despite not saying anything to the crowd, he did a little jig at one point, gave a few laughs and smiles, and a big bow at the end. One of the most memorable shows I've ever seen, and I'm jealous of everyone in the States who gets to see him over the next few months!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.