New Tom Petty/Heartbreakers Compilation: "The Best of Everything"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Oct 5, 2018.

1. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

As previously mentioned in the Tom Petty/Heartbreakers 2018 Thread, there was some "early-birding" occurring a few weeks back regarding this collection, but courtesy of Pitchfork I am pleased to announce the imminent release of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: The Best of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016. The compilation is the first Tom Petty/Heartbreakers career spanning greatest hits compilation and will be inclusive of Petty's solo career and his work with Mudcrutch. The collection will bring together thirty-six of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers greatest hits alongside two archival cuts, the previously unreleased "For Real" and an alternate version of "The Best of Everything" that will restore a long-lost second verse to the track. (hi windfall!)

The press release can be found here
    : Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Career-spanning Hits Collection 'The Best Of Everything' To Be Released November 16 On Geffen Records/UMe

Pitchfork article: New Tom Petty Compilation The Best of Everything Announced | Pitchfork

The collection will be issued as a 2-compact disc set on November 16, 2018 with a 4-LP vinyl edition to follow on December 7, 2018. The track listing is as follows:

Disc One

1. Free Fallin’
    2. Mary Jane’s Last Dance
    3. You Wreck Me
    4. I Won’t Back Down
    5. Saving Grace
    6. You Don’t Know How It Feels
    7. Don’t Do Me Like That
    8. Listen To Her Heart
    9. Breakdown
    10. Walls (Circus)
    11. The Waiting
    12. Don’t Come Around Here No More
    13. Southern Accents
    14. Angel Dream (No. 2)
    15. Dreamville
    16. I Should Have Known It
    17. Refugee
    18. American Girl
    19. The Best Of Everything (Alt. Version)

Disc Two

1. Wildflowers
    2. Learning To Fly
    3. Here Comes My Girl
    4. The Last DJ
    5. I Need To Know
    6. Scare Easy
    7. You Got Lucky
    8. Runnin’ Down A Dream
    9. American Dream Plan B
    10. Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around (feat. Stevie Nicks)
    11. Trailer
    12. Into The Great Wide Open
    13. Room At The Top
    14. Square One
    15. Jammin’ Me
    16. Even The Losers
    17. Hungry No More
    18. I Forgive It All
    19. For Real

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    laf848, The MEZ, Tim 2 and 12 others like this.
  2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Larsen, Dog Ear and tinnox like this.
  3. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Looks ideal for me as someone who appreciates the greatest hits disc and would like a little more but isn't really interested enough for a full dive. I already have it elsewhere but I think this would be a one-stop shop for Petty beginners if it had "Handle with Care" (and maybe "End of the Line").

Dyland, GMfan87', The MEZ and 5 others like this.
  4. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Maybe someone already knows this, but why does it say the following at this link: The Best of Everything 2CD

11. The Waiting – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (dropout @ 2:17)

5. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Nice collection but I just purchased the American Treasure set to get the unreleased songs and now this includes For Real and the alternate version of Best of Everything? If this is how the hand is going to be played I have to fold.

The Cat 3, agentalbert, ARK and 12 others like this.
  6. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

done. Early Christmas present to myself.

This last purchase blows my budget for new records well into 2019

Fullbug likes this.
  7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Wow. Listening on Spotify now. Just blown away by this.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I wasn't going to buy this either way, but it amuses me that "Runaway Trains" isn't on here--just like it wasn't on Playback (where God knows there was tons of room). Maybe I'm just imagining that "Runaway Trains" was a decent-sized hit all over the radio in '87. And, '80s sound and all, to me still one of the best things they ever did.

ARK, A6mzero, Christopher B and 9 others like this.
  9. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I'm in for hi-res only if there is an option for it. If no hi-res, then no dice.

Jarleboy and Lonevej like this.
  10. McCool

Here is a link to the first single (and title track!) from the forthcoming collection: Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: The Best of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016, an alternate version of "The Best of Everything" complete with it's original second verse intact:

The MEZ, PDK, windfall and 5 others like this.
  11. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

I was a bit shocked when this press released popped up in my inbox this morning. I get that they're trying to capitalize on momentum, but I don't know if Tom would approve of this so close to the release of American Treasure. Holding back an unreleased tune for a separate "greatest hits" set -- which, I'm guessing no hardcore Petty fan would buy without this track -- reeks of record label wrenching.

12. KinkySmallFace1991

I wonder what's the story on "For Real"? Where it comes from? Why do I think it's a Hypnotic Eye leftover? Benmont's said that it could've been a double-album there was so much material for it.

EDIT: Apparently it comes from 2000. Originally recorded for Anthology Through The Years, perhaps?

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. McCool

I think it was originally written for "Echo" but don't quote me on that because my memory is all fogged. I do remember being told around the time that "Anthology: Through The Years" was released, that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers recorded a number of songs for that compilation that ultimately went unused including some Echo outtakes. Anyhow needless to say, it's certainly a worthy addition to the canon.

14. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Will be interesting to find out if the set will be brickwalled or nice sounding...

I'm in if it sounds good.

Dyland and Carlox like this.
  15. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I love that song. Loved it then, love it now. Guessing Petty didn't!

16. KinkySmallFace1991

I've often referred to the version of "Surrender" on that compilation as "Surrender (2000)" in a similar vein to George Harrison's rerecording of "My Sweet Lord" as "My Sweet Lord (2000)"

adamski59 and Hep Alien like this.
  17. McCool

He liked the song, didn't particularly care for the mix. In 2016, he mentioned that he approved a new mix of the track that dispersed with a lot of the heavy-handed eighties production techniques and that mix was the one that was ultimately issued on the vinyl remaster of "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)" when it was released as part of "The Complete Studio Albums Collection Volume 1" towards the end of 2016.

18. KinkySmallFace1991

Knowing the trend: CD/mp3/iTunes will be bricked, vinyl/hi-res (if it exists) will sound nice and smooth.

Former Lee Warmer and supermd like this.
  19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I'd like a 3rd disk as I think his catalog warrants it

20. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I may be completely off here but this sounds to me like they have taken the released Southern Accents take and spliced in the second verse from an earlier (Hard Promises era) recording... that's what it sounds like to me after 2-3 listens, and focussing on the vocal and Mike's guitar. It would be interesting to know this version's history.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Are those two tracks on American Treasure?

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

No.

spaulding likes this.
  23. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Not a big fan of hearing about this to be honest. I thought American Treasure was going to serve as both a "greatest hits" and a rarities collection which I had no problem with.
    But to release this 2 months later with 2 more unreleased tracks feels a bit like a cash-grab to me.

ARK, The MEZ, dougb222 and 10 others like this.
  24. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Nope, that's what I find frustrating. These were obviously held back specifically for this set to move more units and for us to purchase material we already own, something I no longer do.

25. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

Those are George songs.

Lewisboogie, ARK and rcb30 like this.