New Tom Petty/Heartbreakers Compilation: "The Best of Everything"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Wow, the cow is really being milked now, isn’t it...

2. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well the "Southern Accents" take (as you referred to it) is in actuality the version that was prepared for release on the soundtrack to the film "The King of Comedy", but with the second verse removed and some levels adjusted. It's important to remember that Robbie Robertson's involvement with "The Best of Everything" was not sired to the "Southern Accents" project at all and in fact pre-dated the sessions by around three years. Robertson was the musical director on the film "The King of Comedy" and approached Tom Petty for a contribution. By this point, Petty had realized that "The Best of Everything" was not going to make the cut for "Hard Promises" so he agreed to donate the song to Robertson for use in the film. However, Robertson had his own vision for the song which included a massive brass arrangement which I believe was the first time a Tom Petty/Heartbreakers song had been given such a treatment. As Petty would later explain to author Paul Zollo in "Conversations With Tom Petty", Robertson did his work independent of the band and wouldn't even allow Petty into the studio to supervise as he didn't want the songwriter to hear his song before he had finished his overdubs. When the song was eventually presented to Tom Petty, he liked what he heard and gave the okay for the song to be used on the soundtrack. The problem was as I've previously explained, Warners and MCA were having a clash of the titans going on at the time and MCA wasn't going to allow one of their blue-chip artists to appear on a Warners soundtrack. So the track just languished until the "Southern Accents" project came about and Petty realized that the forgotten song would make a good closer for the record which incidentally also lent itself to the project it terms of it's overall production given that the brass arrangement bore much in common with the rest of the "Southern Accents" album.

3. MWC

MWC Forum Resident

For Real is from the sessions for Surrender in 2000. From what I’ve been told, For Real was written during that recording session and not an Echo outtake. But who knows if that is correct.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

well this is the first ever career spanning hits release for tom petty

5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Handle With Care might be considered a George song, but they are really Wilbury songs...
    George, Bob, Tom, Jeff, and Roy all had a hand in them.

dennis1077 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I would buy the vinyl if it came with a hi-res download. If not, I will just buy the download.

7. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Am I the only one that finds it odd that two box sets from the same artist are being released at the same time?

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Wouldn't mind Waiting for Tonight on there...

9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I have no issue with "career spanning" collections....heck Toms had a few already.......but I am so done with this crap of sticking a couple of unreleased tracks on them to screw the hardcore fans once again.....especially when there was plenty room to squeeze them on the very recent 4 CD set.

Passing on this I'm afraid out of sheer principle.

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Actually, it's the third career spanning hits release for Tom Petty.

Unfortunately, it's the first since his ability to create new hits has been severely curtailed... :cry: :shake:

Galaga King and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Yes, the career spanning box set released only 1 week ago had plenty of room for those two songs.

ARK, dougb222, mrjinks and 5 others like this.
  12. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Ahh, what the heck. Just threw down for the clear vinyl. I'm sure it will be gangbusters.

500Homeruns likes this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I see both sides. I'll just download the two new tracks and stick them on An American Treasure.

14. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

But then they wouldn't be able to utilize the perfect title of Best of Everything for the collection. Unless they put everything together into one massive box set, but then they would eliminate a number of buyers who already have their preferred versions of the hits. From a marketing/sales perspective, this is the smart move.

Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  15. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

No it's not. All previously issued Tom Petty/Heartbreakers compilations were part of a deal that Tom Petty struck in the early nineties with MCA which allowed him to exit his contract with them without delivering the final record on that contract (which would've been "Wildflowers"). Petty was both upset with MCA at what he felt was a lack of a promotional push behind 1991's "Into The Great Wide Open" and becoming a "lame-duck" artist on their ledger as he was already contracted to make the jump to Warners after his contract with MCA wrapped up. So MCA and Petty struck a deal where in lieu of a final proper Tom Petty album being released on the MCA label, three compilations (each featuring new material exclusive to each release) would be issued within a given time frame. These three releases were 1993's "Greatest Hits", 1995's "Playback" and 2000's "Anthology: Through The Years" all of which featured material exclusive to the period of time Petty was under the MCA contract with the exception of the song "Surrender" which was a track specifically recorded for the "Anthology: Through The Years" compilation. Aside from that one exception, none of these compilations featured any material from 1994 onward making "The Best of Everything - The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016" the first career spanning hits collection for Tom Petty.

Edit: FWIW Tom Petty was planning a "Greatest Hits II" compilation in 2004 which would've covered his Warners releases up to that point, but that collection never reached shelves.

16. smiecz

smiecz Sentient Being

Do you know if this mix was used on the Japan remaster that came out that same year?

17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm not sure alienating the fan base is a smart move.

The average dude buying a greatest hits collection does not care that there are two tracks unavailable elsewhere....whereas the average fan wants these two tracks, but doesn't really need yet another version of I Won't Back Down regardless of how amazing it is...it's amazing on the 5 other discs I have already.

It's the same record company greed that fed pirating and it's the same record company greed that is driving hoards of people to £9.99 a month unlimited streaming services.....or folks like myself who have just started buying less and less for lack of quality releases.

Seems a shame after just releasing such an amazing 4 CD set merely a week ago.

BeatleJWOL, smoke, rd1 and 7 others like this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

So are the three(?) new '87 mixes just on the vinyl "Let me up" release and not on the high rez?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  19. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yeah, this smells pretty bad.

I don't understand the appeal of 'Greatest Hits' or 'Hits Collection' compilations. First of all, eyeballing the track list, most of the songs didn't come anywhere close to being a 'hit'. Second, if you want a good Tom Petty 'Best Of' collections, go on iTunes, download your 15 or 20 favorites, and put them in playlist.

Oh, that's right, you won't get an essay by Cameron Crow, though.

PDK, Instant Dharma, scotti and 4 others like this.
  20. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Well that's cool...a little revisionist history, but cool. Now I wanna hear the remix, though. Was the whole album remixed or just that one tune?

Planbee likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I wonder who is making these decisions now that Tom is gone. Were these things in the pipeline before his death? Or is his family being directed by the record company (or vice versa)?

ARK, rd1, supermd and 1 other person like this.
  22. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

They probably won't be available individually, unless you get them from the dark webs...

23. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

There's a song to be written about how an artist reaches a tipping point where businesswise they're better off dead than alive. Too bad Tom's not around to write it!

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Start worrying when his songs start appearing in TV commercials ...

25. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

That's all good but where is the vinyl reissuen of Wildflowers?

VictoryHighway likes this.