New Tom Petty/Heartbreakers Compilation: "The Best of Everything"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Oct 5, 2018.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Do you happen to know what the proposed tracklist was?

2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I stand corrected. This is his second career-spanning hits anthology. Greatest Hits was a career-spanning anthology at the time of its release because Wildflowers [or any other Warners material] had not yet been released.

How did I miss that there's no WB material on Anthology..? I guess I pretty much skimmed over it, but for the new songs... :shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

At the rate things are going, that might not be far off.

(Then again, if marijuana ever gets legalized in the US, I know an artist that might fit the bill for some TV ads.)

4. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

I own everything released on vinyl and digital. I’m not going for a greatest hits package with a couple of unreleased tracks.

Although......Give me a nice Wildflowers release with some bonus material on vinyl (already have the original) and I’m happily in......

I’m not gonna do the piecemeal releases milking every last nickel. Tom would hate this with a passion!

btltez, Szeppelin75, Jack and 3 others like this.
  5. Jarek_Venera

Jarek_Venera Forum Resident

The Definitive Career Spanning Hits Collection 1976-2016 on two discs? 40 years of incredible music career represented by only 38 tracks? Tom would deserve much better collection.

Carlox likes this.
  6. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I understand the marketing strategy behind it, but coming on the heels of the boxset released only one week ago? This smells like record company greed and a holiday cash-in. No offense to Petty, his family and anyone interested in this set, but I've gotta call it as I see it...and I'm not the only one who feels this way.

ARK, Audiowannabee, rd1 and 4 others like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its all good now. for some reason I thought the first greatest hits was released AFTER wildflowers but stopped in 1993 anyways. so this is his first hits release to cover the hits after 1993.

I think its a great idea that a proper career spanning compilation will be on the market now

8. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

eight U.S. charting A-sides from Billboard Top 100 excluded from this upcoming collection with chart positions:
    A Woman in Love (It's Not Me) 4:22 #79
    Change of Heart 3:18 #21
    I Will Run to You 3:25 #35 with Stevie Nicks
    Make It Better (Forget About Me) 4:24 #54
    Rebels 5:21 #74
    A Face in the Crowd 3:58 #46
    It's Good to Be King 5:10 #68
    Free Girl Now 3:30 #120

I am not arguing against including the songs below, just sharing the facts...

Some of the songs on the collection actually charted lower than some of the above in the U.S. Billboard Top 100:
    Breakdown 2:43 #40
    American Girl 3:34 #109
    I Need to Know 2:24 #41
    Listen to Her Heart 3:04 #59
    Don't Do Me Like That 2:44 #10
    Refugee 3:22 #15
    Here Comes My Girl 4:27 #59
    The Waiting 3:58 #19
    Stop Draggin' My Heart Around 4:03 #3 with Stevie Nicks
    You Got Lucky 3:37 #20
    Don't Come Around Here No More 5:07 #13
    Jammin' Me 4:09 #18
    I Won't Back Down 2:56 #12
    Runnin' Down a Dream 4:23 #23
    Free Fallin' 4:14 #7
    Learning to Fly 4:02 #28
    Into the Great Wide Open 3:43 #92
    Mary Jane's Last Dance 4:35 #14
    You Don't Know How It Feels 4:49 #13
    Walls (Circus) 4:25 #69
    Room at the Top 5:00 NC
    The Last D.J. 3:48 NC
    Saving Grace 3:48 #100
    Scare Easy 4:35 NC
    American Dream Plan B 3:00 NC
    Trailer 3:17 NC

The following ten songs were not commercially issued singles in the U.S.:
    Even the Losers 3:59
    Southern Accents 4:43
    You Wreck Me 3:22
    Wildflowers 3:11
    Angel Dream (No. 2) 2:27
    Dreamville 3:47
    Square One 3:26
    I Should Have Known It 3:36
    I Forgive It All 4:14
    Hungry No More 6:14

the two previously unissued cuts:
    *The Best of Everything [alternate]
    *For Real

corrections and revisions welcome, as always :wave:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    laf848, A6mzero, John Fell and 3 others like this.
  9. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Phew, lotta big, crooked numbers on that chart.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

I’m not normally one to complain about this sort of thing, and I’ll end up buying this, so the plan worked. But as someone who owns both Studio boxes and Live Anyhology on vinyl, with American Treasure vinyl on preorder, it is pretty irritating that they didn’t include the two unreleased tracks on American Treasure instead of this set. I probably would’ve bought it either way, as an OCD/completist thing, but making this essential for me was unnecessary and does feel a bit greedy.

The Petty estate will get my money as long they keep putting stuff out, just like the Zappa and Prince estates. But I hope they don’t keep releasing multi disc sets that consist of 80-90% previously released material.

11. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

It's a best-case scenario of sounding like mid-80s radio ready synthiness but also being amazingly great.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  12. Jarek_Venera

I miss there Yer So Bad or Flirting With Time.

Rockinrob likes this.
  13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Sometimes it's about balance.

You don't want to weigh in too heavily with some albums [even if they are the most hit-laden] to the exclusion of others. Especially when touting it as career-spanning collection... :cool:

Mooserfan, Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I, on the other hand, will probably end up buying this...

but holding off on An American Treasure... :cry:

[I've only got so much spending money this fall and there are a lot of big music sets to buy!]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Weird track list choice to me (at least how it flows... non-chronological... so what is it?). Also some strange omissions/additions imo.

Galaga King, ARK, ralphk and 3 others like this.
  16. WellDressedWolf1

WellDressedWolf1 Well-Known Member

Hello all! Longtime lurker, this board is where I get most of my music news, but I finally signed up as I feel I have to chime in here a bit. I feel like it may be a little unfair to start crying foul regarding a new "best of" collection it doesn't seem like we know all of the particulars.

We do not know if a compilation like this was something that was already previously planned, perhaps even when Tom was still alive, or if the powers that be (not necessarily the estate or the band, but the label execs/management or what have you) would only agree to release An American Treasure if they could also release something for more casual listeners that may not want to delve into an immersive 4-disc set with alternate takes/versions, unreleased stuff, etc.

IF...and it could be a big IF...that second scenario is the case, then I am more than happy this comp is being released. In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure it wouldn't really matter if this comp was released only 1 month he passed, 1 month after An American Treasure, or 6 or 12 months after a Wildflowers box (which the thought of has me totally drooling)... It would probably still be viewed as a cash grab, as that is the kind of attention that most best-of comps tend to attract.

Yes, there are two songs that do not appear on An American Treasure. It doesn't necessarily have to be a big issue. Do I already have pretty much everything here like most others on this board? Of course! I've been a fan for years and have been collecting everything I can get my hands on for years. But I think it is great to finally have a collection of both MCA and Warner/Reprise material in one place, to have the omitted verse from The Best of Everything, and another totally unreleased song. Another perk for me personally will be what I am assuming will be a clean ending for I Should Have Known It (no US-41 fade in).

Anyway, sorry I rambled a bit there. I'm not looking to change anyone's mind about this comp necessarily, but maybe it doesn't have to be written off completely. I'm going to go back to listening to An American Treasure now!

laf848, A6mzero, richierichie and 5 others like this.
  17. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

As long as people keep buying them, they will keep cranking them out.

One thing you can bet on...on Christmas morning a lot of middle aged men will open a gift from their spouse, realize they got the "wrong" Tom Petty box, and try to pretend like they're happy.

18. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Grateful Dead fans of the past decade or so will recognize what may be the start of a 2-track archive release program: one track for newbies/casual fans, and one track for the longtimers/diehards.

An American Treasure was largely tailored to go alongside Playback and Live Anthology on diehards' shelves. I'd say there was little to no effort to position that as any sort of "hits" set, and it wasn't.

This Best Of Everything would be first in the newbie/casual track. Newbies don't go just download their 20 favorite because they don't know what their 20 favorites are yet. It's also framed as a "best of" and not a "greatest hits" which implies a more subjective approach that should theoretically (ha!) spare us/them all the nitpicking about chart position. Casual fans have been created all along and will continue to arrive for years. This seems like a due if not overdue update for that purpose. (The sequencing is kinda funky at first glance, though; I'd like to hear more about that.)

The only criticism I'd share is, yes, the previously unreleased track or two on the best-of. There were obviously other popular songs to include instead. In the context of this two-track idea, that's crossing the streams. And to the Dead org's credit, they have resisted the temptation to cross the streams. Maybe they just remember Ghostbusters better.

If I'm right about their plan, then yes, these tracks will go about their business and won't necessarily steer all that clear of each other on the release schedule. Two different audience segments, but they all have a holiday buying season, etc.

19. Jarek_Venera

Yeh, but Last Night is Petty's and could be included on the selection.

anth67 likes this.
  20. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Then again, I'm not sure how many things they could do on the casual/newbie track. A lot more ways to be creative for the diehards. Maybe this is just a standard comp update to go with a more extensive release. The box took a while to get together, and the comp timing might have waited past the one-year mark in part out of respect.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

me too. kinda crappy of them to do to us. I've bought both vinyl box sets, the american treasure cd box and vinyl set. So now if I wanted two songs they could have put on AT I would have to buy ANOTHER 4 vinyl set. Really bums me out they would do that.

Kiss73, Exile On My Street and Jack like this.
  22. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

American Treasure is a beautiful gift to fans. It was done in a classy, loving and generous manner.

Nobody can make an argument about Petty deserving a career spanning best of but the placement of the two unreleased tracks on this set exactly one week after the AT box set makes this the complete opposite of everything that box represents.

I mean, people laid out good money for that box, haven't even received it yet and then this is announced which couldn't be more obvious in its intent.

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

hope this helps

1. Disc One

1. Free Fallin’ (full moon fever)

2. Mary Jane’s Last Dance (greatest hits)

3. You Wreck Me (wildflowers)

4. I Won’t Back Down (full moon fever)

5. Saving Grace (highway companion)

6. You Don’t Know How It Feels (wildflowers)

7. Don’t Do Me Like That (damn the torpedoes)

8. Listen To Her Heart (you’re gonna get it)

9. Breakdown (self titled)

10. Walls (Circus) (shes the one)

11. The Waiting (hard promises)

12. Don’t Come Around Here No More (southern accents)

13. Southern Accents (southern accents)

14. Angel Dream (No. 2) (shes the one)

15. Dreamville (the last DJ)

16. I Should Have Known It (mojo)

17. Refugee (damn the torpedoes)

18. American Girl (self titled)

19. The Best Of Everything (Alt. Version) (new)

Disc Two

20. Wildflowers (wildflowers)

21. Learning To Fly (into the great wide open)

22. Here Comes My Girl (damn the torpedoes)

23. The Last DJ (the last DJ)

24. I Need To Know (you’re gonna get it)

25. Scare Easy (mudcrutch)

26. You Got Lucky (long after dark)

27. Runnin’ Down A Dream (full moon fever)

28. American Dream Plan B (hypnotic eye)

29. Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around (feat. Stevie Nicks)

30. Trailer (mudcrutch 2)

31. Into The Great Wide Open (into the great wide open)

32. Room At The Top (echo)

33. Square One (highway companion)

34. Jammin’ Me (let me up)

35. Even The Losers (damn the torpedoes)

36. Hungry No More (mudcrutch 2)

37. I Forgive It All (mudcrutch 2)

38. For Real (new)

shocked its not on here

-a woman in love

-change of heart

-rebels

-yer so bad

-a face in the crowd

-love in a long road

-out in the cold

-it’s good to be king

-free girl now

-swingin

-good enough

laf848, Galaga King, A6mzero and 12 others like this.
  24. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Hey Hey Hey hey i was born a rebel...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

What are the two studio boxes? Playback and something else? Thanks.

Matthew Tate likes this.