Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Today's song is All Dressed Up for School:

2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

All Dressed Up for School

Just love all those big basses. Lyrics a bit suspect, but I like to believe that, since Carl sings it and was still more or less school age, it wasn't as creepy as it sounds in the 21st century. I like the song more than "Help Me Rhonda" and I put it on my customized Today! Playlist in its place. Overall, though, the best Beach Boys song with this melody is certainly "Marcela", I suppose.
    Anyway, 4 out of 5. Probably more like 3.5 but I round up just because I really like the sound of the record.

3. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I give it 3/5. It would make a great B side, but I don't think it is quite up to the quality of most of their 1965-66 output.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

All Dressed Up - would have been great if they had this one on Today. I like the song even better in original mono mix, as those handclaps really add something. I love the chord transistion from verse to chorus, and Mike's low vocal part. Its an outtake, so I'm not supposed to give it top marks, but I honestly cant think of anything negative to say about the song. Will I look like an over enthusiastic fanboy if I give it a 5? I don't think I can go any lower. I really like this one. Honda fifty fiiiiive. 5/5

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Seems like All Dressed Up for School would have more appropriate somewhere on Shut Down Vol. 2 or All Summer Long, but I'm glad it didn't make the cut. It's actually a great sounding track, but after Gonna Hustle You/The New Girl In School, Pom Pom Playgirl and Dance Dance Dance another school themed tune seems like overkill to me. Still, the energetic vocal arrangement, the guitar break with Carl Wilson doing his fast strum like on Dance Dance Dance and the dit-dit-dit's and bop-bop-bop's cribbed out of Papa Oom Mow Mow make it a fun track. Note the line "she's not the little girl I've always known" -- a theme reworked into the classic The Little Girl I Once Knew a year or so later.
    3/5

I'd have given it a four if it were better fleshed out/produced and wasn't so retro in the lyric.

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

All Dressed Up for School
    Enjoyable, but very old-fashioned in both sound and lyrical content. By '65, I feel like they had moved on from and were better than material like this. It would have been a nice inclusion on one of the earlier albums, perhaps.

3/5

7. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Missed rating Today. Torn between 4 and 5. Here are some random thoughts that have me going back and forth:

I know some dock it a point for the inclusion of Bull Session but if that wasn't a listed track and just some audio verite to end the album, it might not be as criticized.

I ranked most of the songs as 4's or 5's, with the exception of Help Me, Ronda but that rating is coloured by the superior version to come.

The album cover is, actually, one of the Beach Boys' best, imo.

Of course, being a mid-60's album it is damn short but so is Wild Honey and Friends. On a related note, being most familiar with the Today/ Summer Days two-fer, it is tough for me to think of Today on its' own distinct terms.

Nonetheless, I am giving it a 5. A great balance of the best of early Beach Boys, with a hint of the sophistication and lyrical soul searching to come.

As for All Dressed Up, understandably an outtake. A 2 is too low, I'll concur with the 3's most are giving it.

8. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Carl was 17 in September '64. "All Dressed Up for School" was his best lead vocal up to this point. I can't stop myself from giving him a 5/5. Sure, he got so much better in '65 and '66, but his phrasing is near perfect, even if the song is not. Near perfect is good enough. I don't really think it sounds like an outtake any more than "Help Me, Ronda". This would have fit right in on side one before or after "When I Grow Up".

9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"All Dressed Up For School"

What's the big hubub about this song? "The Shift" was worse in the exciting lyrics department.

I can't go as high as a 5, as the lyrics don't really go anywhere as interesting as "Fun, Fun, Fun". I can do a 4, though. This song gets to be a corker at some point, when all of the instrumental and vocal parts start to coalesce around Carl's vocal.

Mike Love could have done some lyric work on this song to flesh out the story a little more. He's good at that.

4/5

10. Wata

Your ratings for All Dressed Up for School:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-4 votes
    4-2 votes
    5-2 votes

11. Wata

Today's song is Karen:

12. Lance LaSalle

A cute ditty with a pretty rocking backing track—Is that a Brian Wilson production? 2.5/5, call it a 2.

Will Harris likes this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Karen - well, I like it, but its just a short thing so not sure how to grade it. I guess a 2, just due to inconsequentialness.

Lance LaSalle and Mr. D like this.
  14. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yeah, that sums it up. Interesting that it exists. 2/5

15. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I don't know how to rate this one. I guess I'll give a 3/5, but that may be generous. P.S. You learn something every day. I never knew there was a TV show called "Karen".

16. Lance LaSalle

I don’t think it ever aired. Just a pilot.

pablo fanques likes this.
  17. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

No, it was a real show. According to Wikipedia:

90 Bristol Court is the umbrella title of a NBC series consisting of three situation comedies set in a Southern California apartment complex located at the title address. The 90-minute block aired Monday nights and consisted of Karen (7:30-8:00pm), Harris Against the World (8:00-8:30pm), and Tom, Dick, and Mary (8:30-9:00pm).
    While they were promoted as a single programming block, the three components were individual series with separate casts, writing and production staffs, with the core production companies, Kayro-Vue and Universal Television (who also produced The Munsters for CBS that season), being the only common component. Besides the umbrella title/address, the only on-air continuity from one series to the next was provided by Guy Raymond, who portrayed handyman Cliff Murdoch, often seen greeting the residents as they approached their apartments.
    Premiering October 5, 1964, 90 Bristol Court faced formidable competition opposite the venerable To Tell the Truth, I've Got a Secret, and Andy Griffith Show on CBS and a fledgling Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on ABC. NBC’s programming experiment came to an end on January 4, 1965, as Harris Against the World and Tom, Dick, and Mary, victims of low Nielsen ratings, aired their final episodes. Karen lasted the 1964-1965 television season but was not renewed for a sophomore year; its last episode was a rerun broadcast on August 30, 1965.

Karen, the first of the three sitcoms set at 90 Bristol Court, presented the exploits of 16-year-old Karen Scott (played by Debbie Watson) and her tomboyish little sister Mimi (Gina Gillespie). The two girls’ activities continually confounded and frustrated their parents (Steve and Barbara, portrayed by Richard Denning and Mary LaRoche).

The theme song was performed by the Beach Boys.

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Frankly, this is pretty much a zero for me. Well, maybe a one. Interesting, but that's all, like Jan & Dean doing the commercial theme tune for the The Game of Life board game and the Coke ad they did, or The Rolling Stones for Rice Krispies.

1/5

The Surfaris actually recorded Karen as a full out tune and apparently released it as a single in Japan:

[​IMG]

19. Will Harris

There is a whole 6 page thread that Steve Hoffman started, and just reopened on 1 September 2018 - by request he said. I've been reading it tonight, you're in it HarborRat! I was 12 in 1964, but only watched it a few times. My mama loved Andy Griffith, and me and my brothers liked Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea. Here's where: The Beach Boys performing TV show theme "Karen" (opening, closing credits), 1964

20. Will Harris

I probably only checked the show out because a friend told me the Beach Boys did the opening tune. It's okay. I'll give it a 3. I don't think the lyrics are that bad.

My favorite bit:

She sets her hair with great precision -
    It's her favorite indoor sport,
    and by the light of the television,
    she can even write a book report.

No, Mike and Brian didn't write those. Read the thread I linked to find out.

21. Lance LaSalle

Whoa
    Well I’ll be!

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. Wata

For your information, "Karen" is available on a comp called Television's Greatest Hits, Vol.4: Black & White Classics. It is also included on a semi-official comp Still I Dream of You: Rare Works of Brian Wilson as a hidden track, in low quality.

23. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Karen - Aw shucks, heck! 1/5.

24. Wata

Your ratings for Karen:
    1-2 vote
    2-3 votes
    3-2 vote
    4-0 vote
    5- 0 vote

25. Wata

*Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)(1965)
    1. The Girl from New York City
    2. Amusement Parks U.S.A.
    3. Then I Kissed Her
    4. Salt Lake City
    5. Girl Don't Tell Me
    6. Help Me, Rhonda [Single Ver.]
    7. California Girls
    8. Let Him Run Wild
    9. You're So Good to Me
    10. Summer Means New Love
    11. I'm Bugged at My Ol' Man
    12. And Your Dreams Come True