Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I did the same thing with the Americans, got bored and left it a few seasons back but watched the finale. Didn't feel lost or like I'd missed a thing!

alexpop and Encuentro like this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The OP is currently watching this and you’re going to comment about how it ends?

alexpop likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Oh no! A misstep on my part. Too late to do anything about it now. @alexpop, don't read my previous post. I messed up and dropped a spoiler.

Brenald79 likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

it was good Season 1/2, no inclination in spending $50. on box set this month though to see 3/4/5/6 seasons.

Encuentro likes this.
  5. alexpop

Watching Dexter season 1 ... Stylish show, like Florida location. Forensic police officer who catches killers, then kills them in suitable chop chop decaptation fashion. Different :D Season one should satisfy. 7/10

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Dexter is great. Or at least some seasons are.

The first three are spectacular. Big thumbs up for all 3.

The 4th has some good stuff but I didn't like it as much for a couple reasons I won't go into.

I liked season 5, felt it had some a really cool & interesting twist; big thumbs up on that one too.

I felt it started to go downhill a bit with S6 but it still held up OK and ended with a huge dramatic cliffhanger twist.

S7 was a rebound season for me, some really cool stuff happened. But everything fell apart with the last season. It turned into a stupid overcomplicated mess culminating in one of the worst finale/endings in TV show history. For me anyways..

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  7. alexpop

The Killing.(Forbydelsen 2007/2012).
    Danish language is s lot harder than Swedish to pronounce, thankfully subtitles.

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Trust on FX directed by Danny Boyle. Donald Sutherland stars. One of the best true crime series. Prefered it over the other 2 FX shows that cleaned up at the Emmy’s (The Americans, The Assasination Of Versace).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

That's a good tip. Finding American Horror Story season 1 all over the place, not finding it horroresqe or scary .,more oddball.

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I think AHS was the benefactor of a killa promotional campaign. The ads plus the music were very promising but....for me, the whole 'schtick' has faded. Worst thing a horror show can be is boring. I hoped this latest season was going to be a return to form but I watched the 1st episode and what can I say? The following 3 eps are all lined up in the dvr, we'll see if I ever get to them. From what I've read, it doesn't feel like I'm missing much.

alexpop likes this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

What's next? All of the unfunny comedies that are on, apparently.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

Sticking with Dexter, after season one, i was won over. I'll get complete DVD box next.

slipkid and Brenald79 like this.
  13. alexpop

Breaking Bad..I have.10/10.
    What's" Six Feet Under " like ?

14. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The Path was pretty good. Sad to see it didn't get picked back up.

15. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Dexter started out amazingly. But you might want to crash that Honda before you get to the finale.

PhantomStranger, slipkid and alexpop like this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Excellent choice :D.

alexpop likes this.
  17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Well the guy from Dexter is in it so that has it going for you. It was on HBO. It’s about a family running a funeral home. It’s a very dark comedy/drama and all the acting is impeccable in it. It also has one of the best series finales in television. You will be hooked on Episode 1. Give it a shot. Everyone else on this thread that hasn’t seen this show should as well.

thematinggame, IanL and alexpop like this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I've heard of it and was always curious but never checked it out for reasons I can't recall. Probably only so much time available....

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I don't remember what all box sets they came out with but I bought the "blood slide box" one when that came out. The idea for the design was great (giving us a box that looks like Dexter's victim slide collection except that the blood slides inside are holders for the DVDs) but the execution was cheap cheap cheap - instead of a wooden box we got some kind of crappy cardboardish thing with a fake wood printout wrapped around it. The ads for it looked so much cooler than it actually is.

Btw, that show has some great memorable/funny lines in it. The character of Masuka (a work friend of Dexter's) has the best ones, he is great comic relief. Two that I remember off top of my head:

"When it comes to matters of the heart, always follow your dick"

and

"All this waiting around......it's like being a born again Christian"

Dexter's sister Debra has some great lines too. She is what you would describe a "potty mouth" which works really well humor-wise.

Here's one you can use on any occasion when you want to express surprise or shock...let's see how I can say this and get past the forum's censorship filter...

"HOLY FILET OF *****!!!"

Then there is the over the top way of saying "uh no thanks, I'd rather not" ----
    "I'D RATHER PUT A CAMPFIRE OUT WITH MY FACE!"

alexpop likes this.
  20. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Check it out. You won't regret it.

alexpop likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I will add it to my list!

22. If I recall, the showrunner was changed after season four and the entire series goes down the tubes.

slipkid and Brenald79 like this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

24. alexpop

That's the problem when you mention
    a interest in a show, pesky spoilers.
    Don't mind " great series, 10/10" but not" too bad about the ending ...when"

25. alexpop

Saying that, thanks for all the suggestions folks . Think I've managed to watch a least 75%/80% of your suggestions!!!!