Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7 Thread Starter

I think Bob may have said something like that... and McGuinn agreed.

Jarleboy and steviebee like this.
  2. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

My tastes isn’t represented here, all that much, but I’d be worried if it was.

I like the Beatles, but I don’t worship the ground they walk on and can think about them critically and not as lovers, there is very little in the way of classic rock that I would play voluntarily, and I don’t like modern pop, modern hip hop or modern indie. Most people here, to their credit, like a lot more music than I do.

I come here, mainly, because there are some very funny posters with some entertaining posts, and for a few who like some of the same music as me. Also, I enjoy an enthusiastic, well thought out post about music I don’t like.

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

If it's not, I make damned sure that it is.
    :D

4. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Great music does not have an expiration date.

5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

True, but I find that my tastes grow more refined as I age.

bigstar87 likes this.
  6. fenderesq

Bravo! I think I just got a shiver of ol' f***. Maybe there's a vaccine.

7. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Yes, but I still find my niche here. In doing so I've had to work at tuning out people whose only reference points are pre-1980 non-punk-incorporating classic rock, who don't and won't tolerate anything experimental, and who have appointed themselves the arbiters of what constitutes "music" or "art" (e.g., pop music fanboys who've determined that Yoko Ono, John Cage, electronica, and free jazz don't meet their enlightened criteria for consideration).

I still do get some welcome insight here into artists outside of my knowledge base, and posts here have, indeed, prompted me to reevaluate my take on some artists.

8. fenderesq

I agree but in addition; In addition: sometimes perspective changes due to any number of reasons: As The World Turns; Like Sands Through An Hourglass. Internal and external.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. I expect that others on the forum will like music of some type or another since this is a music forum. Other than that I don't expect the musical tastes of others to match mine. I've always been a weirdo.

Much of the music I like is well appreciated and discussed on the forum. Much of it isn't.

Jarleboy, forthlin and billnunan like this.
  10. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I guess some of us here like myself don't see the virtue of tossing over great music just because it has reached some arbitrary expiration date. Or are you really suggesting that there's some dynamic in which people should outgrow music?

11. fenderesq

I as well. Traditionally I've always thought of this forum as a place to learn and to share. Historically.

Jarleboy, JannL, Grant and 2 others like this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

With as many 'Underrated/Why" threads I see here many seem to share this feeling.
    I share some of my favorites/commonality with a few other members on the board that I've gotten to know over the years. It's enough for me :)
    I do love it when threads get repeated, I get to post my non forum favorites over and over... :laugh:
    As far as education, I've learned a ton about different manufacturer's/mastering's etc.. I think that's what I originally came here for.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Jarleboy, carlwm and fenderesq like this.
  13. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I'm suggesting that what is "great" to me changes as my tastes change. I think what is "great" is subjective. I no longer think that taking old blues songs and cranking them up to 11 is "awesome."

14. fenderesq

Personally; I of course; maybe not of course; but personally I dismiss any 'arbitrary expiration' but sometimes as a natural process of change; internal and external; tastes do change.

troggy and danasgoodstuff like this.
  15. Hardy Melville

Using this forum for me is a matter of keeping track of certain threads, and also seeing what is currently under discussion from which I may look at subjects that interest me. Meaning by definition there are any number at any given time of threads that do not interest me. Given the approach I use, which btw I would think is the one most do, it simply does not come up to feel alienated from the experience. Sure people disagree. I suppose if those one disagrees with reach a tipping point, that would be alienating. that would have to be pretty extreme for me, though.

fenderesq likes this.
  16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Tell ME about it !!!

[​IMG]

17. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I think our perception of what qualifies as great music changes as we get older. It has for me.

18. fenderesq

Is this a live feed from the floor of the US Senate?

19. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I get that to an extent. I still listen to Zeppelin occasionally, but not nearly as much as when I was in college. Ditto The Doors, Janis Joplin, CCR, Jefferson Airplane, etc. Much of it sounds almost impossibly naive in 2018, if that makes any sense. I do still listen to the Beatles, the Stones, and the Who. For some reason, they sound a bit less dated to me. Maybe someone with better insight could explain why, but for some reason, those bands just hold up better for me.

20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Doubt the Conservatives are into black metal but hey ! , point taken !!

21. Hardy Melville

It is a dynamic that as a subject one way or the other comes up often here. I am not sure it is what you intended to focus on with your OP. But of course tastes change. In different ways for different people. Like you I reject the notion of arbitrary expiration dates, and still am fond of music I loved at a young age. Others I tend to listen to less and less. For myself though I can't think of any performer I really loved in the past that I no longer do. My changes have been more in listening to different genres over the years, and then the usual cycling for some that go up and down over time. For example I listen to less Led Zeppelin now than in the past, at times in the past certainly, while listening more to Pink Floyd. For genres much less jazz fusion, much more fifties and sixties jazz. that sort of thing.

Tastes do change. but they change in different ways for different people.

22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Heh! It floors me that people think music is something that one grows out of. I move from Frank Sinatra to the Lemon Pipers to The Trammps and enjoy them unironically for the greatness they all are.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Well, yea. I'm a mutant.

Jimmy B. and wrappedinsky like this.
  24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I listen to Led Zep ironically quite often; find that there are always at least five or six active threads on reissues or new releases or historical discussion that are incredibly rewarding; regularly delve into the archives to find super cool stuff; try with mixed success to ignore aspects of the forum that seem trollish or depressingly negative; and have learned that my seemingly perfect taste can always benefit from a blast of knowledge or enthusiasm from people who challenge my smug predispositions and blind spots.

You have to put in some effort to dodge the dreck and find solidarity and freshness and the best of what the forum offers, but for me the payoff is gold.

25. fenderesq

Absolutely and obviously and your position was well said and I totally agree. And... you are correct regarding the disposition of; my initial premise; but veering and tangents like change; are inevitable, natural and welcome... welcome in most circumstances anyway.

Hardy Melville likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.