You're invited, Yarlung recording session with Lifeline Quartet (Spirituals from the Civil War era)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Attiyeh, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Attiyeh

Bob Attiyeh Yarlung Records Thread Starter

Video and audio is in the RSVP link. Join us if you can! RSVP required.

Hope to see you in Costa Mesa.

Bob

Jimijam, Muddy, Mr. H and 1 other person like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

People, you want to attend a unique recording session, well here you go.

3. Bob Attiyeh

Thanks Steve! We'll do our best to make sure the recording is as close to the concert as we can manage. Not everyone in your forum of over a million hits a day will be able to squeeze into Segerstrom Center for the Arts, so we want the album to be the "next best thing."

This was our first rehearsal. I'm jazzed.

Bob

Mr. H, Zeki, Ham Sandwich and 2 others like this.
  4. "...as people fled slavery for freedom in the northern states."

It's not really a California thing, is it? Well, no matter. The concept is fantastically cool! :)

5. Bob Attiyeh

Yes, this is an album I have wanted to make for ten years. We auditioned myriad groups and singers and never found the right mix until we met Michelle. I auditioned her on July 3rd. She gave me one of her CDs (she leads a number of veterans groups and performs with them at the Rose Parade and in various churches on tour) and I played a track for my parents on July 4th. My mom burst into tears it was so good. If we can capture half as much in our recording and concert I am going to be very happy.

McLover and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Wow.

Bob Attiyeh likes this.
  7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I love this.

Bob Attiyeh likes this.
  8. Bob Attiyeh

I wish Lexington Massachusetts were a little closer to Costa Mesa! Please join us for one of these upcoming projects if you can. You are most warmly invited.

action pact likes this.
  9. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

sounds great!

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I wish I were closer to Costa Mesa too! Thank you for the gracious response.

Bob Attiyeh likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Your invitation is gracious, much appreciated, and makes me wish I was close enough to be a part of this recording session giving birth to good music, well reproduced.

Bob Attiyeh likes this.
  12. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'd love to. But unfortunately I took my vacation a month too early this year

Bob Attiyeh likes this.
  13. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

I sneeze sometimes, I don't think it would be right of me to go to this.

Bob Attiyeh and Ham Sandwich like this.
  14. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

That sounds amazing... :love:

Bob Attiyeh likes this.
  15. marka

marka Forum Resident

And it was phenomenal!

The entire quartet had such great voices.

When Michelle started singing, I got chills.

Bob, thanks so much for the invite, and it was great meeting you.

16. marka

marka Forum Resident

Post-recording picture with Michelle:

[​IMG]

17. Bob Attiyeh

Working with Michelle and her Lifeline Quartet has already been a highlight of my life. I slept 10 hours last night and am beginning to come out of my post concert reverie. That said, I did listen to the recording this morning and I'm thrilled.

Mark, we were honored you were able to join us. Thanks for posting the photo of you and Michelle and the nice comments. This might become one of Yarlung's best albums. I would not be surprised. We'll try to make everyone on the Steve Hoffman forum proud of Lifeline. They deserve nothing less.

Join our newsletter list to be invited to the next live concert recording session. there is a bright blue box visible if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of our home page at YarlungRecords.com.

18. marka

marka Forum Resident

Done!

Thanks again for such a memorable experience. I can’t wait for the album!

I was pretty happy when you had the quartet do a few songs again. We got to enjoy them again!

In particular, on Deep River (?), which I thought was great, I had noticed a glitch the first time. But not only was that additional take perfect, it was absolutely stunning, better and more moving in every way! In fact, that may be my favorite of all.

You never did say which song brought your mother to tears.

19. Bob Attiyeh

The spiritual we repeated from Michelle's first homemade album was "Talk about A Child." My mother obliged by tearing up all over again at the concert last night. Michelle, who had never met her in person before, saw this from the stage, went up to my mother after the concert, gave her a big hug and said, "I Know Who You Are!" They had fun talking about all sorts of things outside my earshot. I have yet to get the full report.

"Talk About A Child" is one of the few outliers in this album, as it was not directly related to the Underground Railroad, and became part of the repertoire more recently as well.

Yes, that final "Deep River" will stay with me for the rest of my life. Michelle is a vocal and communicative master.

20. marka

marka Forum Resident

Thank you!

(And I think I saw that hug)

21. Bob Attiyeh

Hehehehe. Michelle is as good at hugging as she is at singing.

22. marka

marka Forum Resident

I put my hand out, and I got a hug.

23. marka

marka Forum Resident

It’s time to revisit this thread, and this performance by Michelle Mayne-Graves and the Trio that accompanied her.

In two days, it will be one year since the the album “Lifeline: Music of the Underground Railroad” was recorded before a live audience. As I discuss earlier in this thread, I got the chills listening as the album was recorded.

This evening, I sit at home listening to the CD of this performance - now in its second run through. Once again - chills. It sounds wonderful! And of course the performance and music are wonderful.

This time, my wife joined me, and commented on how wonderful and clear Michelle’s voice is on this recording. I hope to hear it on a more capable system, but Yarlung Records has really done a great job in capturing the magic of that night a year ago.

Buy it!

Edit: I was just about to press POST REPLY, and then remembered where this would be posted, so dutifully checked to see who mastered it. Hehe - none other than @Steve Hoffman and @Bob Attiyeh ! Fabulous job, guys! Bob also was one of the two recording engineers.

24. Bob Attiyeh

Mark, what a wonderful post! Thank you so much. Michelle is indeed a treasure, and we're planning future recording projects together.

The free streaming versions as well as high res in PCM and DSD of the Lifeline: Music of the Underground Railroad recording are all on the album page. Analog tape is ready, but I don't have the booklet finished yet. All things in good time. Lifeline Quartet — Yarlung Records

My "partner in crime recording engineer" is Arian Jansen, who not only designed and built our analog tape recorder for us (the SonoruS ATR12) but several other crucial components in our recording chain. In Arian's life outside of music, he designed your cellphone charger and myriad power supplies for hospital equipment. Cell phone chargers used to pull 2 watts at idle (ie no phone plugged into them) and thanks to Arian's design, which is now used by all the companies, the idle electricity usage is about 0.2 watts. Another small step in defense of our planet. Unfortunately the vacuum tube equipment Arian built for us is not so "green."

Thanks for your post and please join us for Michelle's next recording sessions. ...possibly in February.

Best wishes,

Bob.

marka likes this.
  25. marka

marka Forum Resident

Analog tape? Wow!

I’m sure that @Warren Jarrett will want a copy for the Audio Home.

I will take my CD over there, and he will be drooling in no time.

I can’t wait to hear it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.