Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Studio tracks will be in chronological order.

2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Hey what can I say, I want my money's worth. If I'm a subscriber, there's always Audacity :D

JoeRockhead likes this.
  3. John Harchar

But will they fill up the disc? Like I said, will we get Homegrown as a complete stand alone 40-42 minute album on Disc 3, then more Homegrown outtakes on Disc 4? Maybe he'll take a page from Peel Slowly and See.

4. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

Look on the bright side - the savings account I started with $20 a month for archives 2 after archives 1 came out is up to nearly $5,000 after how well the markets have done. Thanks Neil!

Sigma6, citizensmurf, qtrules and 2 others like this.
  5. John Harchar

The majesty of compound interest!

Sigma6 and James Bennett like this.
  6. Heart of Gold

If Neil won't hold back the unreleased songs, Archives Vol.2 is going to be the major archival release for 2019.

Efus likes this.
  7. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Exactly. Putting aside the endless cycle of gripes and moans around Neil... the body of work that Archives 2 covers is staggering good.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Neil should hire you for his Archives team. Really.

9. Heart of Gold

For the 1972-1982 Decade there're at least one hundred of unreleased songs and alternate versions from choosing plus the the concerts.

unclefred, JoeRockhead and Wild Frank like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I believe in unicorns

JoeRockhead likes this.
  11. Heart of Gold

Hitchikker was released as promised in the Neil' s Memoirs.

12. Heart of Gold

Blue Note Cafe recordings, Cellar Door Recordings, already mentioned in his Memoirs, were released as well.

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

and Roxy, and free live streams of concerts, and ticket access ,,, and still he's somehow Satan to them.

14. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Bluenote Cafe was the live album "holy grail" for me; I also loved the way it was released, announced out of nowhere a month or two before release.

I prefer that to the "announcement of announcement" approach, presumably designed to build momentum but actually just annoying when it drags on too long.

15. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I believe it will happen. I also believe that it will be available exclusively to stream on the Archives site (for subscribers) in advance of the physical release.

JoeRockhead and Efus like this.
  16. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

In reality, Neil is delivering the goods in most ways, but sadly he's lost the majority of his once dedicated fanbase.

He's been releasing outstanding quality archival releases for years now, and he's still releasing new music (which I think has been good).
    He's launched the archives web-site and given us live streams of great shows, not to mention great shows themselves from acoustic to electric
    and with POTR and with Crazy Horse.

He's engaged with us on the site through his responses in the "Letters to the Editor" section, and it appears he has "taken our advice" by offering/working on
    a mobile app.

I'm more inclined now to believe his "promises" and I think Archives Vol2 is pending release, if not in May, sometime soon around that time.

Yes, he's hung up on "sound quality" and I haven't heard anything that "sounds" materially different or better, but every release has been great thanks to the music. Music matters, not sound, but with Neil, both have always been great to my ears.

Neil is delivering, but it seems as if our addresses have changed or we just aren't home anymore...
    NYF

Heart of Gold likes this.
  17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

wish I had your optimism!

18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Neil really needs to pick it up and take lessons from all the other major artists that have opened up their audio and video archives on-line in high rez for free.

19. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Hanlon's Notebook section of the NYA times is interesting. John mentions mastering a new record called Song's For Judy. Will be solo 1976 tunes. Presumably for NY VOL2. Hope these are still dropped onto the website soon. There is so much to look forward to.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  20. andyediewatt

Agree with the announcements of the annoucements annoyance. The Bluenotes live album is amazing along with Hitchhiker and Roxy Live. It's been more of a fertile period than we give Neil credit for. Not sure what the go with Alchemy is.

unclefred, qtrules and RoyalPineapple like this.
  21. John Harchar

That sounds like the album Neil was talking about that will be available when subscriptions start.

22. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I think Alchemy will be one of the first things out when it goes to subscription.

Not quite sure what's happening with Crazy Horse; the reunion earlier this year was very promising, the best Neil's sounded live in some time, seemed to be building up to something. But it's come to a grinding halt. Not sure why Poncho couldn't make it last time, hopefully no health concerns. Meanwhile Ralph has been openly dismissive of POTR on his Facebook, I get the feeling there is no love lost between the two bands.

Bluenote Cafe is a cracking record - a little heavy on the "cheap and cheerful" numbers towards the middle of disc one, but great fun all the same. The Bluenotes were a fantastic band.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    laf848, James Bennett, RomanZ and 2 others like this.
  23. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I love the Archives and my big box. It was a treat to begin with, played it often navigating the file cabinet and all the memorabilia. Now it collects dust on the shelf. Shame really as it's a work of art.

JoeRockhead and Alan57 like this.
  24. andyediewatt

What has Ralph said about the real on facebook out of interest?

Thise NYCH shows sounded crisp, loud and on point. Thought they may tour more extensively but POTR are the flavour of the month for good or for bad. Poncho not playing must have been health reasons as surely he wouldn't knock back the chance to play with CH. Alchemy is much needed. Think Neil is an over thinker lol just put it out there.

25. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Ralph is within his rights to dismiss somebody who is taking work away from Crazy Horse.