Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

lyrically the same problem as NYC: just too outdated at this point. I really don't like the carnival barker thing either. good arrangement as usual though
    2/5

O Don Piano, Hardy Melville and Mr. D like this.
  2. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

This and the Joni Mitchell threads finally pushed me to join the board after lurking for several years. (I may foul up the quoting feature, so please bear with me). I agree with Zodiac, Amusement Parks USA used to be a lesser number for me, but it's so energetically off-kilter and borderline creepy that it's a ride I look forward to. After 40 years of fandom, so many BB songs have faded for me through over-exposure, but this and Girl from NYC, which flat-out rocks, have come up in my book. Both 4's.

3. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

This is along my line of thinking. Too much of a throwback. Hal B kinda freaks me out on this!

Also, the song's place, second in the running order, highlights its' inferiority. Robert Forster of the great, underrated band the Go-Betweens wrote that the second last song on each album is usually the weakest. Maybe if Amusement Parks was placed second last it wouldn't stand out like sore thumb, as much. Of course, I am sure as we get further, there may be some that will say the weakest song on this album is in the second last spot. Can't wait to hear opinions on that ditty!

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Amusement Parks USA"

This has a great melody and great singing from Brian and Mike. Everything seems to fit into place nicely here with the organ, barker, etc. No complaints.

I guess that the "Should the Beach Boys record an amusement park themed album" thread is closed now. Oh well.

5/5

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  5. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I don't think the production on this song is outdated, it sounds like 1965-era Phil Spector, and it just has so much energy and humor - "barker: "she shimmys, she sways..." brian: "well she looks like a fig to me! lets go see her...". Really is one of my favorite songs on the album, a great 2nd track, 5 out of 5 for me on this one and "Girl from NYC" as well

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  6. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I thought it was ‘she looks like a fake to me’

7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

What kind of crazy person laughs *at* at laughing lady exhibit? I bet the laughing lady doesn’t make me laugh like mad, Mike.

8. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I've always thought 'Girl from New York City' had a Stones-y vibe about it, expecially some of their more 'Wall of sound' mid 60s productions, and we know that Brian was a big Stones fan.

There's some good uncovering of the backing track here;

9. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

'Amusement parks USA' is a strange song, the instrumental break with the organ reminds me of some of the later SMiLE era stuff and even the rhythm and the groove puts me in mind of some of the later 70s stuff circa 'Beach Boys Love you'. It's certainly a stepping stone on the journey into Brian's more strange work.

10. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Amusement Parks USA:
    1-0 vote
    2-1 vote
    3-3 votes
    4-4 votes
    5-1 vote

11. Wata

Today's song is Then I Kissed Her:

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Then I Kissed Her - Can it top the original? No. That's not possible. But it is a nice recording, Al sings earnestly, the backing tasteful and surprisingly straightforward (performed by The Beach Boys themselves). It fits in with the overall album. I listen to it, I like it, I never skip it. But I will only give it a 4.

Fun fact - issued as a single in 1967 to really make the band seem out of step with the times. Well done, Capitol!

Hardy Melville likes this.
  13. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Good point. Brian didn't change nearly as much over the years as is claimed. I grew up seeing only Brian's name on many of the songs Mike later claimed to help write. These lyrics seem more like Brian's humor.

14. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Then I Kissed Her
    A wonderful Barry/Greenwich composition (and I love what Spector and the Crystals did with it). The arrangement is lovely and I like Al being the one to sing it. I've always enjoyed how the gender-swap on the lyrics makes the narrator the one taking the initiative. He feels the beauty of the night, gathers his courage and lays one on her. They could have done it as "Then She Kissed Me," but maybe that wouldn't have worked in the '60s? It's such an innocent love song, totally emblematic of the times. The original is definitive, but this is swell too. :)

4/5

15. Will Harris

Wata, the way this poll is set up must make it difficult to figure out who is voting what. Can't you set it up with tick boxes or something? Some are choosing not to give a number. Giant Hogweed made a good positive comment, but no rating. MrD didn't give a rating, but agreed with another poster giving a 2. There was two 5 ratings, S.P.Honeybunch and classicrockguy. I was busy out of town yesterday, but I would be another 5. "California Girls" can wait til we get there for it's 5. Not trying to upset anybody. I make these points because this album means so much to me.

I never get tired of listening to "Amusement Parks U.S.A.". Though the album came out in the Summer, side one reminds me more of the Fall. That's when my hometown fair came to town, in late October. A fair more than an amusement park.

16. Will Harris

That was how they were playing catch-up in Europe. You could do a thread on how confusing this kind of marketing must be looked back on today. The Beach Boys were coming off "Good Vibrations" at the time. At least it worked in the UK/Europe, in America Capitol couldn't figure out what the next move should be. Ahh, why don't we put out a Best of collection, Pet Sounds isn't cutting it... In the UK: Pet Sounds ('66) > Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) ('66) >Best of (November '66) > Surfer Girl ('67)

17. Will Harris

"Then I Kissed Her" (1967) UK 45 was released with a picture sleeve from the photo shoot for the Shut Down Volume 2 album. Yes, very confusing to those going to see them live. Some must have expected Brian to still be performing with them. May 1967 was the 3rd European tour.

The single got to #4 in the UK, so that was all Capitol cared about.

18. Wata

Sorry, but unlike PSF, I'm not allowed to edit the tick boxes to one particular thread daily (to be exact, OP can only edit the post in an hour after creating a thread), so we have to go with this.

19. Wata

To everyone participated: You have choice whether to cast your own vote to the tally or not, but please clarify your rating for the song being discussed in your post when you cast a vote.

lightbulb likes this.
  20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Thanks Will.

I realized after the fact that I hadn’t explicitly stated my rating in my post but also understand why Watamushi may have been hesitant to assume my rating was a 2... which it was.

Will Harris likes this.
  21. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Perfectly reasonable request.

Thanks Watamushi for organizing this wonderful thread.

pablo fanques, lightbulb and Wata like this.
  22. Wata

Thanks from me too, for your understanding, and your love for this thread.

pablo fanques, Will Harris and Mr. D like this.
  23. Will Harris

Okay, I didn't know the ins and outs of how it is done here. And yes, thanks for all your hard work organizing the thread. I really blew it not getting my vote in on time. I really love this album, and want to see each song get a lot of praise.

Wata and Mr. D like this.
  24. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Then I Kissed Her. Solid cover song.

I find the title change/ chorus a bit awkward in execution. Kiss, of all groups, did a cover where they simply changed He to She.

Some BB scholars may have more insight into the sessions for the song. Brian, as producer, seems a bit torn as to whether to go “full Spector” or take a more minimalist approach, like we get on Girl Don’t Tell Me.

I like Al’s vocals.

Once again, the 5 point scale has me in a quandary. Out of 10, a solid 7. Out of 5, I am torn between 3 and 4.

Looking back I gave, another cover, Why Do Fools Fall In Love a 3, because 2 seemed too low. TIKH is a notch above that cover.

4/5

Lance LaSalle and Will Harris like this.
  25. Will Harris

Yes, I figured you for a 2 vote. "Amusement Parks U.S.A." could be considered a throwback to their old style, but I think it's also a great leap forward. The whole album was. I tend to rate the
    ballads a bit higher, but for a Rocker - a great job. You're going to see me use the word "favorite" often as we go through the tracks.

In all the rush, also noticed I didn't get my vote in on our current track in all my moaning. I've had too many cups of coffee this morning! "Then I Kissed Her" is not as good as the great Crystals'
    version which was arranged by one of my favorites, Jack Nitzsche. Phil used the Wrecking Crew, so that's probably why Brian decided to keep their version self-contained except for a tambourine
    and castanets. Al was on a roll getting two lead vocals on the album. And I must say as a kid in 1965 I didn't know how much Bruce did. Al missed the front cover photo shoot, Bruce wasn't even
    mentioned on the back cover credits! I grew up thinking that was Brian playing the piano on "The Girl From New York City".

I like Al's version, and give it a 4/5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.