Better Call Saul - Season Four Discussion & Digestion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Seems to me like Mike would be thinking about it, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is running through his mind next season. There is a divergence in their thinking as to killing, and Mike feels pressure to do it Gus's way. Killing Gus is the only way out for him. Gus wouldn't let him leave and live, with what he knows. Mike is smart enough to explore options. On the other hand, now that he's done it once for Gus, maybe his feelings about killing are shifting as he gets more and more in the cartel stuff and realizes it's a practical necessity.

Shawn likes this.
  2. As a wise man once said - "Sincerity is the key; if you can fake that, you've got it made".

3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

You may be correct that that is the precise intent of the show’s writers/creators, but I find that premise bordering on silly. Now if the idea is that Kim all of a sudden realizes that she is an awful person for participating in the scam (and maybe some or all of the others) then I might buy that. Perhaps her tragedy is she realized this too late. Giselle ultimately will commit career suicide with her Mesa Verde scam. Did I say Giselle?

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Mikes only link to purpose is his grandaughter. To kill Gus could bring retribution from Gus' clan or even the cartel.

5. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Where’d the ‘anonymous donor’ get the money for the reading room? I’m assuming I’ve missed something but I can’t think what.

Shawn likes this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

He sold lots of cell phones. Part of the something-or-other circle for multiple months.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Kim sat through the faked sincerity by Jimmy and was shaken at how good he was at it. At the graveside she knew he was faking and didnt witness it. I dont think she did, did she?

Which also brings up another flaw in Kim: Shes ok with some things but not others.

I think both our points are valid. People are complicated. Especially messed up ones like this bunch on BCS.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  8. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I guess it must’ve been that, he just never struck me as doing that well from the business. Thanks

Hot Ptah and RayS like this.
  9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Reminded me a certain boat scene w Fredo.

10. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

George Burns? That would make sense, as every married man should know this. If not...he's doomed with women! :)

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Exit the light and into the darkness we go, no turning back now.

hbbfam and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  12. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I just realized after this episode that Jimmy was collecting commission selling the phones to himself and then making profit reselling them. He's making money on both ends.

Hot Ptah, mmars982, Mylene and 4 others like this.
  13. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Gus was always a man of his word to Mike, Werner crossed the line at least twice.

Hot Ptah and BEAThoven like this.
  14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Breaking Bad was not nearly as good as BCS.

15. My thought on Kim's reaction to the reinstatement hearing was that she was taken in on the con too, and that when she found out Jimmy was faking it, it was a big let-down to her as she thought he might actually have a bit of a heart.

16. Mike is clever enough to pull it off without anyone knowing who did it. Likewise, Gus' crew would probably be happy as one of them would get promoted and take over things (sometimes it's best to let an outsider take care of the dirty work so as to obtain career advancement). All moot points as it obviously didn't happen, but interesting to think about.

17. EVOLVIST

Why silly? I'm in no way being confrontational; I'm asking because, at some time in our lives we've felt the pain when we thought we were a part of something we really wanted, only to find out that we never were. I'm reminded of the time in junior high I was invited into the clique of "cool kids," only to overhear a couple of the boys talking about what a weirdo I was, but they were glad I was around because my dad always had a cooler of beer we could sneak from. Or, this chick who only went out with me because he best friend was dating my best friend.

It's a sucky feeling for a kid, yet it must suck even more when you're an adult in love, the stakes are higher, and the person you love basically called you an ass hole for believing in him.

On another note, that was pretty funny when after the hearing Jimmy told Kim that, "I saw the matrix," describing how much he was in the zone.

18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Sopranos had a lot to like, even when evaluated apart from its profound influence on TV. Undoubtedly, the female characters were vastly superior to BB. Heck, pretty much all of the secondary characters were better. In the case of BB, Jesse went from mildly interesting to being an awful character. Walt's wife an kid were lousy characters. Mike, Saul and Gus were the most interesting people on the show other than Walt, and between Saul and Gus there was still a tendency to lapse into caricature occasionally. Where Sopranos falls short of BB (well, until Gilligan screwed up BB in the final episodes and started taking people out of character) was the protagonists. This is a subject worthy of a detailed analysis, but it can pretty much be summed up this way: Walter White (again, until the final few episodes) was a true anti-hero, whereas Tony Soprano was never anything more than a disgusting, murderous uni-dimensional thug whose (simplistic) humanizing (he loves his wife and kids! He sees a shrink!) and admittedly brilliant performance by James Gandolfini nevertheless endeared him to an audience without the moral compass or the intelligence to understand the implications of their empathy. I watched Sopranos every week, but I rooted for the FBI. Tony Soprano was a thoroughly repugnant character and I was hoping each week that he'd be killed or caught.

Walter White was a far more complex character (also brilliantly portrayed) who earned the allegiance of the audience as a true anti-hero. In a morally ambiguous world where traditional institutions were failed, Walter White more or less became the embodiment of the "gig economy" that was just developing around the time of the show. Walter White was a guy you really rooted for, and could do so with actual philosophical principle, rather than just identifying with the family pasta Sunday dinners and reveling in colorful regional lingo of the world of Tony Soprano.

Lonson likes this.
  19. EVOLVIST

I've been meaning to comment on this part. Getting access to another part of a building through the ceiling is obviously not a new thing. Still, Lalo would really have to hope that the support (usually flimsy in a suspended ceiling) could bear his weight, but also, the way he dropped down, Lalo would have had to be standing straight up in the ceiling, because that's how he dropped, straight down. I've never seen a suspended ceiling with that much headroom where a person could stand fully erect in there. Also, Lalo knew exactly which tile to make his egress?

Not buying it. Haha! It was cool, though. :)

Hot Ptah, stereoptic and Shawn like this.
  20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

pretty cool:

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Not just that. Working for Gus brings Mike a hell of a lot of money. Way more then he'd ever make doing anything else. And that money is for his granddaughter. He wants to leave enough for her to go to college and have a good life. He can only do that by working for Gus.

Hot Ptah, notesfrom, mpayan and 2 others like this.
  22. Well, that definitively answers the question of whether Lalo kills the kid in the Travel Wire store.

RayS likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yep, it was so obviously over the top that I really think it was meant as a Gus' face half blown off moment.

I thought it was funny as hell myself and gave an evil laugh :evil:

24. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I assumed Kim fronted him the money

25. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I lived through a situation like that with a patient at a psych hospital going up into one of those 'suspended ceilings' so I totally bought it... along with a small side of PTSD

Hot Ptah and EVOLVIST like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.