Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

1968 is already so well represented. Still think a '76 or '79 will be next. We shall find out this Friday!

Taylor16, SteveFff and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. beatboy1975

beatboy1975 Amateur Appreciator

How about one of these?

June 24, 1970 - Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY

June 14, 1976 - Beacon Theatre, New York, NY

Just sayin' (and really hopin')!

3. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

6/24/70 please

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

June ‘76 would be great. I would be all for a ‘79 Fall show but we just had a Brent show so another one in a row seems unlikely.

John Bonham and beatboy1975 like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Not in the Vault.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

A huge part of '70 is not in the vault, unfortunately.

ianuaditis, US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Brent era lasted more than ten years, so it wouldn't be so crazy to have two in a row. Something it's sure: the new one ain't gonna be from the 80's.

bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. mysticmisfit

mysticmisfit Forum Resident

9/28/72
    9/28/72
    9/28/72

That is All.
    Ok, I'll elaborate.
    Why?... with that week in particular already so well represented (The Stanley run of shows)? Well, because of that absolutely transcendent Playing in the Band and that monstrous Other One. That whole sequence with Bobby McGee, reminiscent of 5/10 during the Europe '72 tour, is like a fully-evolved beast. Truly Magnificent. I'd be happy if that was the last show I ever acquired. A dream pick for me. I have faith. If not this time - maybe the next

9. mysticmisfit

mysticmisfit Forum Resident

Forgot to mention the Greatest Stephen Ever Told :D

Crispy Rob, Archtop, dgwint and 5 others like this.
  10. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

See, I was thinking 10/23/70, but unless a soundboard suddenly appeared, it isn't happening.

US Blues likes this.
  11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Unless, of course, they are going to start turning out great audience recordings of these VITAL shows. Wolfson's aud is really fantastic. The fidelity of the recording is so unimportant to what is happening on stage. Just one of the best tapers of all time, given the circumstances. A very important person to the scene! :tiphat:

This comment on the archive sums it up well:

Reviewer: Evan S. Hunt - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - October 24, 2009
    Subject: Great.
    Ignore the recording sound quality. Let it play. It's great. Every note is great, even the rare wrong note is great.

Thank you all involved

And Cary's comment is absolutely gospel lol:

Reviewer: Da Red Rooster - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 13, 2007
    Subject: From someone who knows this recording intimately
    There hasn't been a comment here in a nearly a year, so I'm probably just pissing in the wind, but for the small handful who thought the recording sucked there is now a remastered version by the MOTB crew. It fixes some balance issues, nicely smooths over some of the more egregious breaks, etc. Search around and you should be able to find it. It's likely still alive at losslesslegs.com.

The whiners here obviously were not around in the early '70s when most of what we were able to trade for were multi-generational copies of dog**** originals. Digital access has really spoiled us, some clearly more than others. I wouldn't call this an A+ recording by any means, but it is certainly in the upper percentile range of audience recordings from this era. And I would raher hear this, with all its flaws, than 90% of the more polished recordings from the '80s.

I've listened to this show well over 100 times and hear musical things in it that I don't find in any other GD shows. Of course I'm biased, since I made the original recording. In spite of stifling heat, the energy in the room was just crackling and I think that comes across in the recording.

Someone said that this was an acoustic Dead-NRPS-electric Dead show. Not so, unless I was WAY more wasted than I thought. It started with the NRPS + Jerry set.

Cary​

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  12. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

One of the great tragedies. I would love to hear that opening NFA>Easy Wind in it's full glory. I am hopeful for some 1970 soon, if not 28 than maybe 30 could be 1/2/70 with the bonus disc 1/3/70 from the Fillmore East. Soon please.

13. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

06/12/76
    Boston Music Hall - Boston, MA
    Set 1:

Samson And Delilah
    Row Jimmy
    The Music Never Stopped
    Brown-Eyed Women
    Big River
    Mission In The Rain
    Looks Like Rain
    Friend Of The Devil
    Lazy Lightnin'
    Supplication
    High Time
    Promised Land
    Set 2:
    The Wheel
    Cassidy
    Tennessee Jed
    Let It Grow
    Drums
    Wharf Rat
    Comes A Time
    Dancin' In The Streets
    Around And Around
    Encore:
    Sugar Magnolia
    U.S. Blues
    Sunshine Daydream

Full show in FULL NORMAN remastered glory would make me Have a Nice Day Summer '76 SMILE! I actually kinda like the spun-up "Let it Grow" here.
    Normally, it's a bathroom breaker. Based only on the incomplete radio broadcast bootleg, this show is a corker. Would make a wonderful Dave's Pick this year or next year or next year or next....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Spadeygrove and wlove2372 like this.
  14. Most impressive. Yeah, I’ll take all those you marked with a star, for starters. :cool:

AlienRendel and ianuaditis like this.
  15. US Blues

This show is worth noting, and if y'all have not heard the supreme audience recording you are missing something special. Occasionally an AUD captures the MAGICK, this one does.

Quincy and budwhite like this.
  16. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Agreed. And it seems like it wasn’t even recorded at the SBD by anyone so no chance of it turning up. The guys at The Capital Theatre have asked all the old timers and know was running any decks except the AUD recordings.

17. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I'll throw my hat in the ring and guess 1/2/70.

[​IMG]

RockRoom likes this.
  18. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Hmmm - sounds like we may have to fall back to 10/18/72 Fox Theatre

...jes sayin’

19. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I'm surprised we haven't been told what it is yet with only 2 days till sales start to non-subscribers. I am hoping for 76 personally.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. US Blues

Can't, it's part of the Fox Box. :winkgrin:

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Wishful thinking again :laugh:
    I hope your auguring is accurate.

22. US Blues

Me too!

23. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

If there's a ring to throw hats in, I'll toss mine in for 12-1-79 ... a stupendous show, for sure.

24. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

:love::love::love::love::love:

KCWhistle likes this.
  25. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

That could be a lot of fun. Maybe the next series after DaP could be based on auds. "Dave's Trades." :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.