Turntable Recommendations, Please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by funknik, Sep 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funknik

funknik He who feels it. Thread Starter

I was speaking with Mr Merrill today, and I believe I will be purchasing a PolyTable Super12. It will possibly be more turntable than I will ever need, but at least I will avoid upgrade-itis as you say.

Helom and McLover like this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

seems like an excellent table. I just cant get past an outboard speed controller that looks like clap trap

zombiemodernist likes this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

One of the big reasons why I am a Technics SL-1200 fanatic (and miss mine) is how well isolated this design is from floor vibrations and gimpy feet in homes with wood floors with wood over frame flooring. I also find that the Pioneer PL-518 provided the feet are in good condition or replaced to be one of the better options.

Aftermath, KT88 and zombiemodernist like this.
  4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Technics all the way. Was a previous Rega and Systemdek owner. Will never need another deck as long as I live, the SL1200 variants are perfect.

Aftermath likes this.
  5. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I'm not sure I would call it "clap trap" but if that's how people see it, so be it. What it is, in function, is an incredibly precise and accurate motor controller. I knew that before but got an even better feel for that today when I recalibrated my speed with a pretty cool app that doesn't just show a readout, it samples the RPM for about 15 seconds and returns an average speed. Turning the knob even a barely noticeable amount in either direction, like from 11 pm to 11:03 pm, literally 1/32" change in the knob produced .02, .04 RPM difference, whatever you were looking to fix, with repeatable results on the app. The motor controller is THE key to the Super12, IMO. Just because it's not in some fancy box only keeps it more affordable.

As to some other situations going on in here, I'm just going to say - there's two sides to each story. It's a shame that some things get characterized certain ways, but it is what it is.

Good luck with your decision, OP.

6. avanti1960

i truly do not believe people understand how good these decks are.

7. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident

I own an MMF 7.1 and just moved out of a 100+ year old “triple decker” (middle floor) and the wood floors were warped as hell. I don’t know how “springy” they were, but they weren’t in good shape. I must have gotten lucky because I had no issues with skips (but I didn’t have a kid running around, either).

8. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

1200s are truly rock solid decks, and my first thought for anyone looking for tank-like isolation. Even the suspended Technics like the 1700 I use are solid for sprung decks. The double suspension hangs from a stable, heavy plinth / feet vs being coupled to the feet and plinth like many other 70s designs. Isolation and stability were clearly top priorities for Matsushita.

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I agree that the GR on up are superb. But the older generations did not have the same kind of resolution, despite their excellent speed control.

punkmusick likes this.
  10. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

After having resolved some initial setup issues with mine, I totally agree, just so long as you only mean the current generation of machines. The older models were not up to the same exacting build standards. And these simply did not have the superb resolution and ambient recovery of the latest models.

punkmusick likes this.
  11. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

It looks like an excellent table, and 12 inch arm should make s difference soundwise )). But I am not sure it will help with vibration issues.

displayname likes this.
  12. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Nothing wrong with the stock SL1200. A lot of its failings are around hifi snobbery. Its an equal to anything Rega chuck out at £1,000 and under

13. toddrhodes

It actually could. The entire design ethos of the PolyTable (and taken a notch further with the Super12 model) is to eliminate and absorb resonance and vibration without impacting the tonearm. Will it work on a bouncy, springy floor? Not any better than anything else, but I've been battling some environmental resonance in my room and the PT outclassed, by no small margin, a VPI Classic 2 and a Music Hall MMF 7.1 in that regard. It does so in other ways as well, but it is more resistant to footfalls and vibration than any other table I've had (of which there are 5). The material of the deck, the damping of the motor, the excellent feet - they all add up to a very resilient table.

I have mine sitting on a rack loaded with 400 LPs. I can smack the side of the Kallax and the PT doesn't even notice. Not a great test, I know, but it does deliver in this regard.

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's funny, as my first real component turntable was a PL-518. I definitely agree about the SL-1200, that being its strongest suit IMO. The Rega tables seem to defy logic in this regard, but also perform very well there. It must have been down to more than just the mass control of the plinth to platter, but also trial and error with the feet design as they have been used for decades with excellent results.
    -Bill

15. avanti1960

I'm sure it's an amazing table Todd, stellar reviews by pros and users (like yourself). "All apologies" to you.

funknik likes this.
  16. funknik

I just purchased one of these tables and I’m sure it’s great, but it’s definitely ugly. No easier way to say it.

Aftermath and avanti1960 like this.
  17. avanti1960

congrats! i bet the looks will grow on you. i would have loved to hear this one before i bought my last table but no such luck.

18. toddrhodes

I said the same thing, about the looks. They do in fact grow on you but then again, making the type of sound that it does would endear just about anyone to it. And even if it ain't pretty, it sure is unique ;)

Congrats OP. Honestly if you need any help setting it up or have any questions about it, I'm more than willing to help, however I can.

19. funknik

thanks a lot, Todd — it was your enthusiasm for the table that finally sold me. I would like to know what app you’re using to monitor the RpM speed. I went with George’s recommendation for cartridge - I’m excited to hear it. Time to buy some new records, I guess.

20. Helom

Helom Forum member

Invest in a KAB Speedstrobe - A flimsy plastic disc and $1 strobe that sells for $110, however it's worth the price. Aside from the Sutherland Timeline, nothing is more accurate.

21. toddrhodes

I'm using RPM Speed and Wow. I like it. And George includes a strobe disc that inlays into the top platter. The motor controller has a strobe light built-in. I haven't used the ones Helom suggested though, I'm sure they are excellent suggestions.

funknik likes this.
  22. funknik

That’s great - I’ll check it out.

23. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Sounds like he’s trying to sell ya’ something.

24. Helom

Helom Forum member

Nope, at the time he told me that, he was well aware that I'm content with my current table. He mentioned it in passing as we walked past a table he was repairing for a customer.

25. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I concur!

englishbob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.