Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

These could be something like the fantastic "Fire" that was on WCSB: "The original four track recording of each instrument (before the four-track to four-track mix reductions)". An earlier stage of what was later released. PJ optimism there.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

They could be just about anything. But I wouldn’t hold my breath on it being something “fantastic” unless you don’t have the mono mix of Burning Lamp and it would be fantastic to now be able to get it. I think the real silver lining might be if it improves upon the not-so-great sounding UK Track 45. But I suspect the mix itself is the rate limiting factor.

Think horses, not zebras.

Mr. Explorer and Purple Jim like this.
  3. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Somehow when it comes to EH, I think of donkeys....

mikew, Chris M, Alexlotl and 3 others like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Why can't these mono mixes also be on the deluxe 50th set?

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Why was "Peace In Mississippi" relegated to a CD single b-side and then quietly inserted into a reissue of the Purple Box years later?

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Does anyone know if the 2 LPs of just the original album will be released separate from the blu rays and extras?

bluejimbop likes this.
  7. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

No info on that at the moment.

Mr. Explorer and Leonthepro like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I put on Hendrix and my 22-year old daughter and her boyfriend start screaming to take off that "weird" music. Unless it has a programed beat and chanting in rhyme, they'll have nothing to do with it. That's what they were saturated with by the music companies, and that's what they like. Is rock dead? Absolutely.

Experiencereunited likes this.
  9. Leonthepro

Damn, I dont even want to describe how triggering this post is because it will start a discussion on music evolution in general.

mando_dan and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  10. John Harchar

So as not to lose all hope, I have a ten year old who loves Purple Haze and Little Wing...and Ed Sheeran.

11. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The Mono Mix of Midnight Lamp should have been but if the other two are just fold-downs then don't care.

mikew likes this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My kids liked the classic stuff when they were little, but then high school took over. And I didn't want to turn them into some kind of nerd/freaks by insisting they only listen to 50 year old music. Luckily my father didn't insist I should spend my time listening to Cab Calloway and the Dukes of Dixieland. I'm sure once it's ingrained in the brain, they'll return to it someday.

Mr. Explorer, Tuck1977 and alchemy like this.
  13. John Harchar

Well mine is also probably the only person under age 60 who can sing all the words to The Ballad of Davy Crockett, so he's got a wide range of tastes. :D

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I don't know, but it only cost me $1.99 for the single instead of re-buying a box set I already had. I had all of those extras save the "live" BOTML, which I don't need.

Mr. Explorer and Gordon Johnson like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Oh man.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Right. It should've had prime position on Valleys, PH&A or BSOTS!

17. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

In my high school daughters case, she is the one exposing her friends to rock. Just yesterday she was telling me she got one of her friends into Iron Maiden. Just depends on how it's presented I guess. I probably wouldn't start a teenager on Hendrix though. They need to work their way up to that.

Mr. Explorer, davers and Leonthepro like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The single was issued prior to the song's placement on the Purple Box. I do not recall if the single went out of print (or if it is still available, it was a Walmart exclusive at one point) prior to the box set being issued. And you are correct, if one was able to acquire the single, at least they did not need to repurchase the entire Purple Box set for one song. Nevertheless, the song in question is one of the best outtakes from the Hendrix catalogue and should have received prime placement on a mainstream compilation rather than as an obscure b-side.

19. Leonthepro

Agreed.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I also thought the b-side "12 Bar Original" from Olympic in February 1969 was stronger than a lot of the stuff they put on West Coast Seattle Boy, case in point the plodding jam on Hound Dog.

21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

No argument from me on that point :righton:! I was thrilled to finally have the track (almost?) unedited as well! I believe the CD single was a Wal-Mart exclusive and while I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart, I was able to get the disc quite easily upon release. That being said, the vinyl 45 had Mitch's vocal version of "Cat Talking To Me", which I believe is still exclusive to that vinyl. I know not many are fans of that version, but it's the first one I ever heard and I'd like to have it issued digitally for completist's sake (I do have a needle drop).

Edit: I'm wrong, it's on the "Fire" CD single and I forgot!

Mr. Explorer and Larry Geller like this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You forgot autotune. It only sounds right if it sounds unnatural.

bluejimbop likes this.
  23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

FWIW, the RSD site doesn't state they're previously unreleased mono mixes. It says "...collects rare mono mixes of 'Crosstown Traffic,' 'Burning Of The Midnight Lamp' and 'Gypsy Eyes'..."

In fact, that would imply they have been previously released elsewhere. Which leads me to believe it's the true-mono mix of "Burning..." and fold-downs of the other two.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. John Harchar

They must have fixed it because it didn't say that yesterday (or this morning for that matter), the word rare wasn't in the original posting and now the words previously unreleased are nowhere to be found. In which case then it's likely the UK single and the fold downs.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

They must be following this thread methinks o_O

Mr. Explorer and JoeEXP like this.