Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2019 nominees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

As far as J Geils Band, What argument is there for them besides being a fan? What ground did they break? Who did they influence? What outstanding success did they even have? They had a moment (or two), that’s it, and I like the J Geils Band.

2. zen

zen Senior Member

All I know of J Geils Band is... my angel is a centerfold. I know there must be more from this band, but that's a sour tasting start, for those not up to snuff.

3. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I would be happy to see STEPPENWOLF , URIAH HEEP & JETHRO TULL . Steppenwolf almost got in and now seem to have been forgotten .
    I have a little more hope now, since The Moody Blues finally got in last year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

my question now is, will pete willis and Vivian campbell get in or will it be the Pyro/Hysteria lineup?

chad

5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Was just about to click 'Like' until it ended with Smash Mouth.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

how about New Order?

7. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Any discussion of Stray Cats for Rock Hall of Fame needs to revert to

Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio

Who should be in the HOF.

The real McCoy

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The original article links to different songs to support his argument, and that one linked to Bang the Drum All Day. Given that I despise that song, I thought "fair enough."

Searching "Pitchfork" and "Todd Rundgren" leads to a lot of really interesting examples of writers arguing for Todd's place in the pantheon of greats.

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I agree on Steppenwolf and Tull. I'm a big Heep fan (the first six albums are quite a run) but don't think they'll ever be considered.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

They’re on the ballot. Why Vivian I have no idea, but they are.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

Stevie Nicks
    The Cure
    Radiohead
    Rage Against The Machine
    Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
    Devo
    Kraftwerk
    Todd Rundgren
    John Prine
    LL Cool J
    The Zombies
    Janet Jackson
    Def Leppard
    MC5
    Roxy Music

Still no T. Rex, which is disappointing. Roxy and Def Leppard probably wouldn't exist in the same form if it wasn't for Marc Bolan throwing on some glitter under his eyes for Top of the Pops.

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Everytime I look at this list of nominees I wonder "how the hell is this going to work in the context of a big concert at the Barclay Center?" I just have a hard time seeing any three of those bands jamming together, but honestly that may just be a failure of my own imagination.

13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Most everyone only knows "Centerfold"/"Freeze Frame"/"Love Stinks"....(which I don't really like either).........but well before the hits, they were a great high energy rock n roll party band. This is from one of the great live albums out there.

Peter Wolf is (still) one of the best front men out there.

I'd be fine if they go in, but I know they're not a top contender.

14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The Cure
    Radiohead

Not that care about The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

15. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Essential live album

Matthew Tate and LandHorses like this.
  16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I should add that at this point, they might as well put Janet Jackson in - she's certainly more deserving than a good portion of it.

But back when it was much more selective, I wouldn't have put her on the pantheon. I like her stuff, it's typically good and fairly consistent, but she's never been a great innovator like Prince or her brother - even her best stuff owes a lot to the great music that had already been released in the year or two before.

17. Zoot Marimba

Neil Young: yes, why? More substantial success than the other three, Godfather Of Grunge, and to pull up a list of those influenced by Neil and/or have covered Neil:
    Eagles, Jackson Browne, Pretenders, America, R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Meat Puppets, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Blasters, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Mercury Rev, Screaming Trees, Elliott Smith, The Lemonheads, Wilco, Pixies, TheMinutemen, Juliana Hatfield, Eels, The Black Crowes, Opal, SoulAsylum, Red House Painters, The Jayhawks, Young the Giant, Beat Farmers, Ryan Adams, Dave Matthews Band, Teenage Fanclub, Cowboy Junkies, Buffalo Tom, The Flaming Lips, Patti Smith, The Meters, Type O Negative, Gov'tMule, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Willie Nelson, Phish

NeilYoungFan, Oatsdad and Zeki like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you might want to check out david crosby's last 4 albums and compare them to neil young's last four albums.

than, once your amazement subsides, check out the 2 rides albums and the stills / judy collins album.

then nash's 'this path tonight'

neil is a distant 4th over the last 15 years, a very distant 4th.

and young's 'a letter home' is the single worst album ever released by a major artist on a major label in history. he should give everyone who bought it their money back. infact he should also give everyone who bought a pono their money back too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

Also for success of the Sex Pistols:
    Certifications:
    US- Platinum
    UK- Platinum
    Netherlands- Gold

NMTB, HTSP has been ranked #41 out of the 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time by Rolling Stone, #276 In the Rock Hard Book’s 500 Greatest Rock and Metal Books Of All Time, NWE’s #4 Greatest British Albums Of All Time, one of Time’s 100 Greatest Albums Of All Time.

Influenced by The Sex Pistols:
    The Jam, Subhumans, U.K. Subs, The Police, Motörhead, Misfits, U2, Adam & The Ants, The Damned, Minutemen, X, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Adolescents, Magazine, Slayer, The Hives, Venom, MDC, Depeche Mode, Melvins, The Raincoats, Megadeth, Jim Carroll, Hanoi Rocks, The Undertones, The Vibrators, Faith No More, Redd Kross, Guns N Roses, Gang Of Four, Big Black, Nirvana, Rancid, TheStranglers, Anti-Nowhere League, Penetration, Social Distortion, New Model Army, The Vandals, G.G. Allin, White Zombie, TheDickies,The Wierdos, DeadKennedys, Iron Maiden, Sham 69, Skid Row, Cockney Rejects, Anthrax, Ash, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Pogues, Television Personalities, Manic Street Preachers, Bad Brains, The Cure, The Adverts, Hüsker Dü, Generation X, Crass, Circle Jerks, The Stone Roses, Towers Of London, The Offspring, Buzzcocks, Bow Wow Wow, X-Ray Spex, Mötley Crüe, Green Day, D.O.A., The Soft Boys, Meat Puppets, Flipper, TheeHeadcoats, The Mekons, Stiff Little Fingers, The Birthday Party, Anti-Flag, The Exploited, Nihilistics, The Only Ones, Alice In Chains, Sleater-Kinney, The Libertines, Wire, Joy Division, G.B.H., The Slits, Overkill, INXS, Billy Idol

Oatsdad likes this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

What does recent output have to do with it? And I may not like it. Even if I did, it does not change the fact that Crosby’s solo career is little more than a footnote in music history. Something can be good without being HOF worthy.

NeilYoungFan and Oatsdad like this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nope. there are in the hall because jann wenner wanted to be cool. no other reason whatsoever, none, nada, zilch.

22. Zoot Marimba

You can not be a fan, but that doesn’t change anything.

Oatsdad likes this.
  23. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

what a joke that Roxy Music had to wait this long

24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

So many that shouldn't be in.......and many more that should.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. Zoot Marimba

Who would you go with? Twenty five or less

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.