Better Call Saul - Season Four Discussion & Digestion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Did anyone else feel the hit was kinda risky letting the guy talk so much and get so close?

I also felt the man behind the travel counter seemed really gullible.

I guess it is a product of low pay. It is amazing how workers seem to share so much personal data.

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Probably right. And I think the only way that he really gets to stay close to her and her mother is by being able to provide for them, and also have a schedule that allows him the time/flexibility. If he was going to continue to work at the parking lot, making beans, he wouldn't have much to offer other then himself. I'm guessing that would not be enough for him.

mmars982 likes this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

There are still people out there that are trusting of people. That's kind of the premise for the whole series though, isn't. Try to do the right thing and you get burned. You only move forward by cheating what seems to be an already rigged system.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I was expecting Lalo to get offed in the last episode. This season was too short by five episodes, methinks.

5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The logic of getting rid of Werner - who was out of control and who they wouldn't even send home because he might 'talk'. By that logic, they will have to get rid of the whole German crew, because one of them might 'talk'.

Hightops likes this.
  6. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I guess I am a by the book guy. Personal information should be guarded.

As for the hit, I couldn't trust someone that put my life in danger and Gus would be wise to also be wary of Mike given what happened even if we know he is ok.

I think Mike's judgment as I used to see it has been chipped away.

None of others tried to runaway and blatantly disregarded the system.

Regardless it wouldn't suprise me if they were all killed in the end

7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i think Lalo will walking out to look at the stars pretty soon

8. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Reliable, nondescript, and easy to work on. :)

9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It must be what it's like to be involved with an actor or actress - you don't know when they're acting.

And now Kim doesn't know when Jimmy is being real or not or if it's all just a scam.

Hot Ptah and mpayan like this.
  10. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I’m not sure your analogy is apt. You suggest a crisis of confidence in Jimmy based on Kim's feeling she was part of something that she in fact wasn’t. But she always was and always had been. Jimmy merely finished exactly what the two had planned and executed. His deception was not aimed at her. Jimmy didn’t dupe her or fool her or mislead her. How could she possibly construe it as such? Simply because she loves him? This is the same Kim who didn’t bat an eyelash several days earlier when Jimmy put on a sympathy show at Chuck’s grave. Jimmy’s cold-heartedness was matched only by Kim’s at that point. I think it strains credulity that Kim all of a sudden after all that cold-blooded planning (e.g., the grave scene, the cocktail party and the plan to use Chuck’s letter before the board) felt betrayed by Jimmy’s acting performance in furtherance of the plan. I don’t think it is possible for someone to be so detached from reality to feel anything resembling deception because her cohort, at the scheme’s denouement, topped it all off with whip cream and a cherry.

That said, Kim's apparent happiness that their scheme worked suddenly goes sour when Jimmy refers to the board as "suckers" for almost tearing up. She must know Jimmy hates suckers (like the guys with the Hummel who fell for his spiel). She probably hates suckers just as much. I would consider it more of a reality check than an emotional injury or betrayal. "Hey, Kim. Get back in the game. Nap time's over."

EDIT - I would additionally make the argument that Kim also might suddenly feel abandoned because she figured (on the heels of their joint exploits) the two would practice again like the old days – perhaps something she mistakenly thought was an unspoken truth (cue Something Stupid) – and was hurt when Jimmy indicated he was going it alone as “Saul Goodman”.

Hot Ptah and EVOLVIST like this.
  11. EVOLVIST

It does. I also noted on Monday night that Lalo was left handed. By Tuesday I couldn't remember which character was a lefty, until I watched this video.

Yup. I believe Lalo is the only southpaw on the show.

Why does this matter? It doesn't, but since the Gorts won't let me answer @NettleBed I had to put my mind on something else. :D

12. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I think people have limits and Jimmy may have have overstepped what she was comortable with.

Like her, I never saw him be as vicious as he was there. She cares about him and explained why he lost out before. The change to Saul shows that he has now become a monster just a little too proud of his so called achievements.

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

She was one of the 'suckers' who was tearing up, though. She fell for the act, emotionally.

14. EVOLVIST

I like your argument. I really do. It contains great points. I simply think that this time was different because Jimmy basically called Kim stupid, a sucker, a rube, a mark, or what-have-you. Therefore, Kim got a taste of the other end of Jimmy's shtick. It was all great until Kim became the target. Unintentional, yes, but that glimpse into Jimmy gave her pause.

But let's look at it this way: Kim didn't like something that Jimmy said. If you've ever had a long term romantic partner of any sort, you'll know that you can say something, it could be anything, innocuous or otherwise, and your partner can get hurt by it. Right or wrong, that's just the way that humans cross our wires.

So, whatever it was, Kim didn't like it. As for the audience, we might be operating under the assumption that this scene means that Jimmy and Kim are over...or, at the very least that there will be a big argument, or perhaps their love is on the rocks.

The fact is, we don't know. Was the biggest revelation that Jimmy is taking the name Saul Goodman, or that Kim got bent? I'm sure they are equally important.

Whatever happened, maybe Kim will explain or perhaps she won't. For certain, though, we'll only find out next year. *shrug*

Hot Ptah, notesfrom, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  15. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

In this season, the wrapping up of Kim and Jimmy is a cliched story often used in 80s and even 90s teen flicks. In those films, the good guy goes wrong, the leading lady questions everything, and the good guy redeems himself but in this case, we know this is not going to happen. Ironically, this is why many are still watching and will watch next season.

The last line, however, would make for a great series finale but would also drive many people nuts. Lol.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  16. misterjones

We're probably closer on the point than it might have initially appeared. I just don't think Kim could possibly have thought Jimmy was intentionally being mean to her. But she clearly was hurt (even if she technically cannot blame him). Note the "distance shot" of Kim at the end.* There is emotional distance between them now, which perhaps she thought she had closed since their Something Stupid montage. It could be temporary, with Kim shaking it off (which she seems quite able to do), but it also could be the beginning of the end. Stay tuned!

17. misterjones

Her reaction, a flinch of sorts (as I recall), was akin to someone being mentally slapped in the face. It comes down to how you interpret the slap - i.e., emotional damage or . . .

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"'S all good, man!" :laugh:

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

He was early on. One episode showed him ringing up the sales and putting money in the register. That alone would have been enough to get an award.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  20. misterjones

As I noted before (above), I don't believe the DBA is very realistic.

21. EVOLVIST

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that and I wanted to return to it.

Up until now, in your professional opinion, the law gaffs have been pretty minor, if any at all, right? But this one, if it's a gaff, with no basis in reality at all, wouldn't this be the mother of all gaffs for BCS, since so much of the show hinges around Jimmy's "transformation" to Saul Goodman?

I mean, yeah, Jimmy is Saul and Saul is Jimmy, but to use Saul Goodman as a DBA? Would this be one toke over the line, as the saying goes? Sweet Jesus.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Oh, they will.

We've seen in Breaking Bad just how evil Gus Fring can be. Those guys are all toast.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  23. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

No surprise there, David St. Hubbins was also a great singer. And the Squigtones were no slouches either.

24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Who could forget Stonehenge! Great point.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

On the other hand I'm not sure who the worst singer is - Jimmy or Ernesto.

notesfrom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.