Burning SACD iso's to DVD-R's - how is that even possible?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by C6H12O6, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If you ask one of the Gorts directly, they will unlock that thread for you.

2. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

It’s probably been mentioned already, but the Oppo 103/105 series had this capability but it was removed early on by firmware upgrade.

Lots of modern players have USB inputs capable of taking a USB hard drive / memory stick, and many can play DSF files (DSD files). If you have plenty of SACD ISOs they can be converted to playable files easily enough.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah and I have already extracted the dsf files from the ISOs, and filed them onto my music server drives for JRiver playback.

But I like to spin discs once in a while. I'm still playing DVD-A and SACDs directly from original discs. And I have sold off or traded quite a few of my discs off. But I kept the ISOs all filed away in strict order, as if they are worth their HDD weight in platinum.

I just bought another SACD player, this time a 5-Disc changer. Sony model for $29.99, and had to buy remote on eBay separately.

I like players and gadgets to mess around with when the prices are hitting rock bottom.

I have an Oppo 105D, 2 Denon, and a Sony, may as well get a Pioneer to round out the collection and fill up the rack in bedroom with more toys.

4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I have my original Oppo BDP-83 still (first Blu-Ray player I bought) and it will play SACD-Rs/.isos as well.

5. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

One might with a CFW MOD. I think I might have picked one up last week.

I have been getting them on Kajiji. Try there. They go for 20-50

There is one that's not on the list that is. Think there is a few. I'll locate and send you the info

6. Captain Rogers

Sorry, I don't know how to do that. How can I start that process. I'm eager to know.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Can you explain something. Many of the units on the list, or at least a good handful are not SACD players but BluRay and DVD players. No SACD playback that I could see in their specs. So if no SACD, then how could they play SACD-R?

I'm going down the list looking for one with RCA 5.1 outs. That is another deal breaker for me until I buy a new AVR.

8. Captain Rogers

The Denons, OPPO and pioneers do everything including DVD A, them and the Sonys have the Sacd Logo.

The Sony's are Blu ray and 3D blu rays and SACD players. I have several from the List. There are some off the list that only play and Rip SACD but recently a few from the list and one not on the list that have been updated with curent Firmware can now be downgraded and can play SACD-R. I got that one last week. I'll confirm that later. Sorry been meaning to.

They specs do list SACD playback but sometimes only in the spec sheet that's a pdf on the main sony site along side the manuals.

9. Captain Rogers

The OPPOS have that. Mine does. That's your best bet. A used one from kijiji. Been getting all my Sony from there and one Oppo. I was going to get another but want an OPPO, Denon or Pioneer with Blu ray and DVD Audio playback as well.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I saw no Sony models with RCA 5.1, so Denon looks most likely - but Denons are expensive compared to many.

I think I need to wait a couple months or more for prices to come way down. I'm ok with no BR playback but I would like both SACD and DVD-A with my RCA jacks.

11. Captain Rogers

You got to go OPPO DVD or maybe Denon Pioneer DVD. Maybe a DUNE.

Haven't seen too many with rca plugs. You can get a used HDMI AVR for 50-6o off Kijiji. And turn off DSD on your player.

12. PM one of the people on this list of forum moderators with your request:

Notable Members | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

13. Captain Rogers

PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. Captain Rogers

The bdp-s390 490 and 590 are not on the list. They plays SACD and it can be downgraded to play SCADR. That's the one I was reffering to.
    The 380 480 and the 580 are on the list and can be downgraded if needed as well.

15. Rui Moutinho

Rui Moutinho New Member

Has anyone ever tried sacd-r on one of these blu-ray player players - SONY S780 or SONY S790?

I know the S780 can read sacd-r but I assume that after some firmware updates, it loses that capacity.

The S790 is formidable and is already 4K, but I have not heard anyone confirm it reads sacd-r.

The last SACD-r player I have had is the formidable DENON 2910. But it does not make it possible to read SACD through HDMI which is my priority at this time because I acquired a SONY DN1080 (wonderful sound)

16. ady_lister

ady_lister Well-Known Member

My Denon DBT-1713UD playsback SACD-R and isn't on the list if anyone cares. I've updated the Firmware whenever possible as well.

Do you specificly have to burn the ISO to DVD-R for it to work?

Or can you drag and drop the individual .dsf track files into something like Nero?

When I ripped my collection - I only did a full ISO rip if it was a multi-channel disc which I'm now coming to regret.

17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think it depends on the unit. Does the manual say it supports .DSF? My Oppo won't play .isos but will pay .dsf files, two channel or mulitrack, burned to disc.

18. Likely depends on the player but burning it as an ISO on DVD-R fools the player into thinking it's a SACD. A full ISO rip should work fine.

19. I used to play SACD-R's on my Oppo BDP-93 but the release of ISO2DSD to extract the individual DSD files was a God send, I much prefer playing music from an SSD than spinning discs.
    The only discs I spin these days are LP records and I do it daily several times a day.

jhm likes this.
  20. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Some of the sony models, I think 380/480 or 390/490 never had FW to take away sacd-r play and rip. They stopped any kind of support early on. The 790 I believe they took it away.

I would have to look at which models I have, but I always checked and looked for new FW and they never had an update after the initial one or one after.

21. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

So I just load the .ISO to the USB stick and I'm ready to go ?

22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I think that the .iso files must be split into .DSF files, which then may be played from a USB stick. Oppos lost all ability to play ISOs several years ago.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, one needs to look up other players that will play the DVD-R burned SACD ISO. Some are around - a list of these players is out there.

The raw SACD ISO is not playable afaik.

24. The Pinhead

Mine has never been connected to the internet, so no firmware upgrades to wipe out that capability. Should give it a try. I'll DWL a ripped SACD .

25. The Pinhead

That' s exactly the capability that was reported MIA after firmware upgrades on Oppos. From a stick, though, not so sure. Mine does play SACD-Rs, only if I burn them onto DVD. Never updated the original firmware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.