Actors who played different characters on a TV show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes! :righton:

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another Seinfeld woman: Christine Dunford, who played Leslie in “The Baby Shower,” later was the saleswoman who sold George a suit in “The Pie.”

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Nope. Just missed your post. Sorry if I stepped on your toes a bit.

4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Vito Scotti also appeared three times on Gilligan's Island. Once as a Japanese soldier who thought WWII was still going on, and twice as Dr. Boris Balinkoff.

5. HGN2001

Actor Patrick Cargill had two prominent roles in THE PRISONER. In "Hammer Into Anvil" he was Number Two, and in "Many Happy Returns" he played a character named Thorpe back in London.

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Majel Barrett:

Original Star Trek: Was Nurse Chapel and the Computer Interface Voice

TNG & DS9: Was Lwaxana Troi and the Computer Interface Voice

7. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Talia Balsam appeared twice on "Murder She Wrote", playing different characters

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'm wearing steel toed Doc Marten boots, man, didn't hurt a bit:cheers:

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Family Matters.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't watch the show, but based on IMDB, it appears all of White's non-Steve characters were related to Urkel, so he wouldn't count.

He apparently never played a role unconnected to Urkel...

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  11. HGN2001

Susan Hampshire played two different roles on the DANGER MAN/SECRET AGENT series. She played Lena in "You're Not In Any Trouble, Are You?" and then played Lesley Arden in "Are You Going To Be More Permanent?"

[​IMG]

12. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Koloth brought shame to the Klingon empire! Kor would have eaten him alive.

In Roger Moore's The Saint series, Honor Blackman appeared as different characters in a couple of episodes.

13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

She was also Number One in the original pilot. I remember reading somewhere that one fan theory had it that was her actual name, rather than a position, and that she was a clone and Nurse Chapel was another clone in the same series (explaining their similar appearance).

neo123 likes this.
  14. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

John Orchard was Ugly John for the first season of MASH, he later appeared as Officer Muldoon on a much later season episode.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  15. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Where to start? James Gregory, who was in 3.2 million westerns before settling in with"Barney Miller". John Astin of "The Adams Family" also directing and starring in various episodes of "Night Gallery". Jill Banner, the go-to hippie for "Dragnet" and "Adam 12".
    I could type in a drunken nostalgic haze all night...
    [​IMG]

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  16. Jason Pumphrey

He was also on several Dragnet episodes.

17. Jason Pumphrey

And I'll bet your mother had a loud bark...

Ignatius likes this.
  18. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Jack Dodson, who played Howard Sprague in the The Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry R.F.D., first played insurance agent Ed Jenkins in an earlier episode.

19. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

In the classic series of Doctor Who, there are MANY actors who appeared in two or more stories playing different roles. Generally, each director had their stable of actors they liked to work with, so eventually the same actors would end up getting re-cast multiple times. I wouldn't be surprised if the number was close to 100, if not more.

Here's some I came up with after scanning the episode listings:

Nicolas Courtney
    Ian Marter
    Phil Madoc
    Jean Marsh
    Michael Wisher
    Julian Glover
    Bernard Kay
    Jeremy Bulloch
    Martin Jarvis
    Michael Gough
    Prentis Hancock
    Wanda Ventham
    Milton Johns
    David Troughton
    Peter Craze
    Kevin Stoney
    Peter Halliday
    Bernard Horsfall
    John Woodnutt
    Geoffrey Palmer
    Paul Darrow
    Peter Miles
    Michael Sheard
    Stephen Thorne
    Kevin Lindsay
    David Collings
    Angus Lennie
    Frederick Jaeger
    Bernard Holley
    Tim Pigott-Smith
    Glyn Houston
    Angus MacKay
    Colin Douglas
    John Leeson
    Lalla Ward
    Tom Chadbon
    Jacqueline Hill
    Denis Carey
    Alan Rowe
    Ingrid Pitt
    Denis Lill
    Lesley Dunlop
    Terry Malloy
    Eleanor Bron
    Donald Pickering

And then there is Pat Gorman, who appeared in various minor roles is 83 episodes of the classic series. He takes the cake!

This doesn't include various actors who voiced monsters or wore monster costumes, or stunt men like Stewart Fell or Terry Walsh who had numerous bit parts... usually of characters who have to get in fights, fall from heights, or get killed off.

20. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This guy.

vinnie likes this.
  21. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

David Lipman played Judge Morris Torledsky in over 2 dozen episodes of "Law & Order" and a few in the short-lived "L&O : Trial By Jury"; He appeared as a different Judge, Arthur Cohen in several episodes of "L&O : SVU".
    Shawn Elliot played Judge Joseph Rivera in several "L&O" episodes and another
    Judge, Dominic Santos in exactly one episode; He also appeared in at least one other episode as a different (non Judge) character.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

There's been a few on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

23. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Gordon Jump appeared seven times on The Partridge Family, playing a different character each time.

Cult actress Jill Banner appeared five times on Dragnet, again, playing a different character every time (Dragnet and its Mark VII stablemate, Adam-12, were both famous for their revolving ensembles of bit players).

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  24. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Dick van Dyke Show:
    Frank Adamo is credited with 51 (!) roles. He was DvD's personal assistant, and many of the parts were non-speaking.
    Carl Reiner played several roles before he finally emerged full-face as Alan Brady.
    Whenever they're in a restaurant, the waiter is Johnny Silver, who also played many other roles.
    Isobel Randolph settled into the role of Rob's mother, but also played Richie's teacher and one other role.
    Lennie Weinrib played *Danny* Brewster and *Jackie* Brewster and one other role.
    Kathleen Freeman has played a hotel maid twice.

I thought it was cool that there was a psychologist named Dr Phil who appeared twice by the same actor, but looking at imdb, I see they have two different last names.

I haven't checked this thoroughly, but looking at imdb, it seems every juror in 'One Angry Man' appeared multiple times.

Not a complete list.

25. HGN2001

Jim Labriola played a few different characters on HOME IMPROVEMENT before settling in to the role of Bennie Baroni.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.