Blu-ray 3D - not dead yet?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevywevy, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevywevy

kevywevy Senior Member Thread Starter

About a year ago I grudgingly accepted that 3D blu-rays had gone extinct. Once the Marvel movies stopped I assumed that was it. So I was pleasantly stunned recently to discover Ready Player One on 3D Blu. I assumed Spielberg had the clout to resurrect a dead format for a one off. But then . . . the latest Jurrasic Park movie came out on 3D Blu a few weeks ago! And today I found Skyscraper also in 3D!
    I have also noticed that the new 3D movies are sold out in a few days. So there is still demand out there.
    Is this some weird last dying grasp of breath for 3D Blu-rays or has the movie industry actually changed it's mind?

2. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

3D was never adopted for 4k uhd use and tv manufacturers quit adding the 3D option. At this point it is a small niche for people with older tvs or certain projector models. Not quite dead but it's quietly fading as a mainstream product.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I try and get 3D steelbooks, other wise just BD 3D amarays.

4. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

definitely not dead yet. and there are some you can get from amazon.uk that aren't region locked.

Larry Mc, polchik and kevywevy like this.
  5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I love 3D but with no tv's being made that support it there is NO future :mad:!

Many big films have been getting 3d releases here in Australia. I went to the UK recently and was amazed at how few 3d films there were in HMV and even more surprised that not only was 4k very small but the DVD section was 3 or 4 times larger than the Blu ray, 4K and 3D sections combined.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. kevywevy

Yes and some from Asia as well. They aren't cheap though - I decided I really didn't want to pay almost 70 dollars for Guardians of the Universe in 3D.

7. kevywevy

That's what I thought which is why I am so surprised that all of a sudden Im seeing 3D Blu-rays in stores again.

8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

kevywevy likes this.
  9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Disney and Sony seem pretty much done with them in the US market, but you will still see titles from Warner Bros and Universal. I just picked up Skyscraper yesterday. (Could not resist the premise. It's like "Die Hard" in a building! ... Wait a second, I just realized something.;))

SRC, wayneklein and kevywevy like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have a bunch that I bought used...I do not have a 3D player or 3D TV. I buy them for the BD...

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, but this building is on fire! :D

wayneklein likes this.
  12. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Dead...hardly. 3D film been around since 1915. It is no argument that 3D has been more popular then it ever was.

3D projectors are still doing fine and 3D still is released overseas constantly.

Will it become less popular...sure. will it still be around, of course. It stil has merit for obvious reasons.

3D vs 4K. 3D almost every frickin' time. 3D marvel rocks!

alexpop likes this.
  13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Around here every Marvel movie comes out in 3D on BR. I just watched "Black Panther" and "Infinity War" in 3D at home a few weeks ago. Is it different in the US?

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

Been buying new blu rays (3D) for 1.00 like Lost River( 2014) think a lot of small budget films are shooting in 3D to help sell their films. Aside, blu rays..Managed to get Deadpool 2 BD Steelbook for 24.99.
    Want the Ralph Steadman art edition blu Ray complete Breaking Bad steelbook, but that's a wee bit more pricey. Think if you check YouTube there's a bigger demand for Steelbooks, than 3D per se.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  15. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

The US buyers are idiots with what they support. The UK rocks in the 3D capacity so I just import.

I am a big Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead fan and the UK also gets better releases with more extras lately as well.

wolfram likes this.
  16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The premise was 'Towering Inferno meets Die Hard'.

17. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Thor Ragnarok and Guardians of Galaxy 2 are best in 3D.

GOTGV2 has a key part where the 3D floats off the side of the letterbox. Just nutty.
    3D will never be dead for me.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Just FWIW I think you may have got a slightly distorted view of the split in the UK.

Supermarkets seem to have more DVD's than BDs, but in proper media stores, where your more hardcore cinema fans would be, then people rarely buy DVD, it's BD or 4K.

I have a local Fopp and a HMV - downstairs the films are probably 70% BD, 10% 4k and 20 DVD. The HMV is about 50/50.

No serious collector buys DVDs now. Why would you when you can buy a BD. You can't even give away DVD's now it seems - take them in to trade and you are lucky to get 10p each if they will take them at all.

As I say, Supermarkets do still stock them, I think because they are cheaper it maybe is an impulse buy type of thing if someone wants a film to watch. But the market seems to have split in that cinefiles are buying BD and 4K and casual fans have gone to streaming.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

DVD is the biggest selling physical media if all time. It will be tougher to die out, but it is getting there. Bluray continues to climb when it has competition from all sides. It doesn't help that declining DVD sales drag down it proper view.

20. alexpop

Germany usually gets 3D blu Ray steelbooks J- card, UK usually 3D Blu Ray amarays, 2D Blu Ray steelbooks J-card. I prefer when the steelbooks are embossed like Avengers : Infinity War.

wolfram likes this.
  21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

That is how Noah was released in Germany. While I didn't love the movie, the 3D helped.

22. alexpop

Great art design helps in Steelbook mode, some designs I pass on if their bad ( in disgust). I'm waiting for the next step when 4K-3D tv's are available. Some of the 4K amarays ( black borders) look stylish and you get a BD disc included, but I'll always get the 3D BD(steelbook prefered). Just wish my 3D panny plasma had a brighter image.

23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

What really sucks is the Dolby Atmos is exclusive to 4K in most cases.

I have played both discs at the same time to get the added effect of 7.1 (don't have Atmos yet but with some films that is the only way to get 7.1).

One day I will be cutting the holes in drop ceiling for 11.1 baby!

coffeetime and alexpop like this.
  24. alexpop

First 7.1 mode I had sound wise was with The Expendables Blu Ray (of all films think E2) but I don't have a 7.1 speaker set up just 5.1. Think I'll have to win the lottery for a future high end audio visual sound system puppy. :D

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I was making fun of the stereotypical action movie pitch of "It's Die Hard on/in a ...", but if you want to get super specific like that, it's "Die Hard" meets "Towering Inferno" with an Alfred Hitchcock "Innocent man wrongly accused" plot slathered on top.

...in 3D (added that to get back on topic) :laugh:

Jim B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.