Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

As a nineteen year old, this forum is a sanctuary for me. For some reason, my musical taste line up exactly with most of the folks here, and they are usually the only people I can talk to about it.

2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

This is my experience also. Whenever I start a thread on an an artist or genre that interests me, it dies a quick death. The exceptions would the long, unwieldy threads dedicated to a certain genre, e.g., jazz, Brasilian, film music, and I won't participate in those long threads, because conversations and ideas get buried too quickly.

This site is great for asking audio trouble-shooting questions, though.

fenderesq likes this.
  3. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Well stated.

The music world is so varied and so rich that everybody should be able to find something they are passionate about without wasting energy being upset that others are passionate about an artist. And it shouldn't matter one bit whether that passion is found in Mozart, The Beatles, Drake, or the California Raisins!

I don't want to know how much you hate Beatles threads, Kiss threads, or any other threads that bring others obvious enjoyment. They aren't the threads that are hurting anything. I want to know what you are passionate about.

Otherwise, why are we here? We could all just spend the day listing threads we personally dislike. What does that have to do with freely sharing opinions about music we actually love.

As has long been mentioned by many, if there are threads that are so tiring that you actually can't stand them, just be a semi-reasonable adult and ignore them. :)

Or additionally, create one you like!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Jarleboy, gja586, Endymion and 2 others like this.
  4. ShockControl

And then watch it die, because it is not about the Beatles.

rod, Vaughan and Jack o' the Shadows like this.
  5. If I Can Dream_23

No harm in that. I've done several that suffered such a fate. At least you are trying! :)

I understand how it is to love an artist and album and realize it may not be as alluring to others as it is to you. But, as stated, that's just the law of demand and interest acting in honest fashion. It isn't the fault of the Beatles threads, or the posters, that they are the most popular ones (at large).

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

As a teen I used to berate people for their bad taste. As I grow older (now 47) I just hope that people love their music with the same passion that I love mine. I'd rather you love something 'trivial' than be ambivalent about music in general.

7. If I Can Dream_23

Absolutely.

8. ShockControl

My point is that, like the OP, I believe that the musical tastes on this site are much more in the mainstream, in the aggregate, than other sites on which I post.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  9. Jack o' the Shadows

Jack o' the Shadows Live and Dubious

I'm tired of many of the bands that are being discussed here every day, and most others I never cared for in the first place. I'm not really an audiophile, and I've found that the extra material on deluxe editions normally gets played only once or twice. I don't take it personally if someone presents a negative opinion of a band I like, and I prefer critical discussion to rigid "appreciation." So no, the discussions on this board don't really interest me most of the time. But I keep coming back because once I actually find a discussion that interests me, it can be really informative. When I joined the forum, I was more interested in discussing rock of the sixties and seventies, and it was quite novel finding people who knew more about it than I did myself. At the moment, I'm mostly interested in discussion on books about music, musical culture, and Punk, New Wave, and Indie from the eighties onward, though.

Captain Keefheart likes this.
  10. If I Can Dream_23

That could be.

11. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

LOL. So true.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  12. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Not quite, but I don't care. It is expected that in a site where people of different ages and backgrounds come together. A lot of the music that I like is not very common in this forum but somehow I have discovered artists and good music here. It is true that there is a lot of emphasis here in discussions about classic rock, maybe too much about some bands like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin ... if I'm interested I pass by there and review something that seems "really interesting" or otherwise I ignore them completely.
    But I must say that there are people here very well informed and very interesting when talking about music and that is enough for me!

13. NettleBed

You think pop songs represent the greatest music ever created?

Case in point for the value in expanding one's horizons...

rod likes this.
  14. ShockControl

Apparently, lots of people here think that, and that's the issue. People spend $25,poo or more on their audio systems, and then want the best pressing of a ZZ Top album.

rod and Jack o' the Shadows like this.
  15. NettleBed

What is it that you're into that you feel is underrepresented? What actually is your musical aesthetic?

Possibly there are more like-minded people in here than you think?

fenderesq likes this.
  16. NettleBed

I get that, but loving something and proclaiming it the greatest music ever created are two different things.

Perspective is a good thing.

17. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

I understand what you're saying. But, what difference does it make to your enjoyment of music. This isn't high school. Is there some cool clique of people here that you want to interact with, but can't due to a difference in your musical taste?

Probably 95% of the active threads in this forum don't interest me. I am much more likely to search for an artist and read an old thread.

fenderesq and danielbravo like this.
  18. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

I always get that feeling. It makes me feel so great.

19. ShockControl

Agreed, but you don't get that kind of perspective here. I'm not knocking it; it is an observation. You can find multiple threads on any mainstream classic rock album, but if you are into other genres, e.g., jazz, Brasilian, film scores, space-age bachelor pad music, ambient, etc., you are stuck with very long, unwieldy threads that are not conducive to in-depth conversation. If you try to start a specific thread on something obscure, it goes nowhere. Believe me.

rod likes this.
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I think everyone here has their own 'barometer of hip' band/artist that they toss out to gauge the caliber of the room. I'd be willing to bet that no one on this forum has taste so obscure that no one else has heard of the artists in question. Yes the majority of the discussion is about Classic Rock (Hell, I found this forum when looking for info on Beatles pressings), but there are also lengthy threads for Jazz, Death Metal and Classical as well as smaller threads about individual obscure bands and/or genres.

In addition to musical style diversity, there are also differing views on formats, sound quality and the music business. We're a pretty well rounded group.

danielbravo likes this.
  21. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I just realise that there are certain bands I really like, where I have to avoid threads related to them - it's unfortunate but it's the way it is. Bands like The Beatles (for example) are widely enough represented that there is a good mix of opinion. However every Genesis thread ends up with people saying how poor they were in the 80s (irrelevant of the topic) while every Who and Queen thread ends in a similar way - i.e. weren't the last 35 years a waste of time. Personally I love the later work of all of these bands, it's a shame it's not possible to discuss them without the same people stomping all over it with the same opinions. I'd love a proper nuanced discussion about It's Hard and Townshend's solo career of the early 80s for example, but good luck getting that over the line. See also loving 80s Genesis without some prize idiot bringing up American Psycho and thinking it's funny. This is a great forum - so much good info, but some topics have become borderline off limits. I'd love to properly discuss Phil Collins solo career - I give it five minutes before someone brings the thread down...

danielbravo likes this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Have you ever tried to take the discussion offline with someone who shares your views and is able to discuss the topic in a positive way? I'm sure there's someone here who would do it.

Rigsby likes this.
  23. NettleBed

I have to say, I don't understand why the posts of a few people have to cancel out those others that you are interested in. If there is a thread about '80s Genesis and some people show up to express how terrible they think it is, isn't it possible to just not reply to them? How do these particular posts disrupting whatever back-and-forth you have between others that don't share that opinion? Unless the point is that there aren't any people in here at all that like '80s Who and Genesis? (I'm not sure that's the case - I haven't been here all that long, but have participated in threads where this particular music was discussed positively).

IMO this could actually be viewed as another facet of what the OP complained about: why should threads be insular and segregate people only towards points on which they agree? It's possible for 40 posts on a topic to only contain a handful that you agree with or want to reply to. but the presence of the others shouldn't make it impossible to carry on with the ones that interest you.

As for the type of music discussed in here the most - while it would be nice to get more diversity from classic rock, I think it's normal for music that was the most popular to have the most people on a message board representing it. In other words, I would expect that there are more people interested in Pink Floyd than Dinosaur Jr., for example.

danielbravo and Mister President like this.
  24. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Most of the threads on here are about classic rock and I like some of it, usually more British band oriented than solo acts. However, as I got into my mid 30's I just grew out of it and wanted to hear different styles...usually jazz and funk, I rarely listen to a rock album from start to finish these days. I like the Beatles and the Stones but, for me anyway, it all fizzled out by the mid 70's and there was much better music around. I think Abby Road and the White album are fantastic albums but I ain't that bothered by Wings or the Who after 1973. I just find it a bit flat and hard to engage with but my British pride still comes out that these bands came from the U.K.

There are very popular bands such as REM, U2 and Coldplay that I will never understand and I've really, really tried to like that music but I just don't. I've always wanted my music to be a little challenging on some level which I guess is where the jazz appreciation came from. I gave Bruce Springsteen another listen this week after a year and I still find it dull, but it's ok, plenty more to choose from. If people like REM then good for them, I'm sure they'd hate some of the stuff I listen to.

I would consider myself with a wide musical taste...so far today I've listened to Ike Quebec, Peter Tosh, The Rutles, Talking Heads, Bjork, Blur, Helen Reddy (yep!) and some album compiling music from 80's video games. :laugh: There are many people here who have wide tastes and I'm always interested in what people think of music generally, I don't have to like that said music.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

SO right. It takes some forbearance to keep from snapping back at some pretty nasty posts but, but we live and learn to ignore them.

There are views for every taste and viewpoint here. That is what makes it so popular. It's not all Beatles. Really! And it's not all classic 60's rock. Sure (I'm a prejudiced old guy) that is the best era...:p The classical and Jazz threads may be the largest here.

Sure there are a few Beatles related threads, and Dead, and Stones and Zep. But there are many many, like tons more of every perspective and taste; from Americana, to Jazz, to Classical, to outlaw country, to folk rock, to rockabilly, to bluegrass, to cosmic country to psych (new & old)...and a ton of obscure indie artists. And many style and regional favorites: Irish, Welsh, Latino, German, Scandinavian, classic British folk, your favorite guitarists, drummers, bassists...is that broad enough? No? If you can't find it you're not looking.

I have posted in most every imaginable subject and started a ton of threads on every one from John Prine to Bill Evans to David Ackles to Gene Clark to Neil Young, to Wilco, to Glen Glover (new great Irish/Americana), to Gillian Welch to Abalone Dots to Bill Fay to Phil Ochs to Matt Andersen, to Tess Of The Circle, to Beth Orton to Badly Drawn Boy to Amada Sires & Jason Isbell to Josh Ritter to Tom Rush's newest LP to Bill Callahan to Brian Crane to Ludivico Ainudi to Miles Davis to Birdy to Luluc to Lynn Hanson to Sun Kil Moon to Sufjan Stevens to Mandolin Orange to Mark Pavey to Martha Tilston...whew...if you want to talk about it, new or classic 90's :)righton:), I really do believe it's here.

You really can choose or avoid the topics you wish to join in on, or not. Just because there are a lot of members interested in Beatles or Macca, and that they are sometime at the top of the most posted threads...so what. You don't have to go there.

Anyway...I do go on sometimes ...

...but really, if you can't find a subject or two that speak to you, then I wonder if there are any forums or friends who actually share your perspectives? I would guess there are, and that you have good taste, if unique and eclectic. Just like the Steve Hoffman Forum. (and NO, I am not a forum gort!)

Type in your interest or perspective as a subject. I bet you'll find it. If you can't, there may not be a person or forum that has it...:tiphat:

For me..this one is on pre-order and can't what for my autographed limited edition gray vinyl treasure (the preorder is sold out, but my is at Bull Moose today!)! So my tastes run from Ritchie Valens (my 1959 vinyl is a treasure) to Gregory Alan Isakov 2018. Surely that is expansive enough. Oh and I have a few Robert Johnson LPs and some Enrico Caruso too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.