Music Books you would love to read but...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dormouse, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

About fifteen years ago, I located a copy of Derek Taylor's Fifty Years Adrift on the used market and, with some subtle hints, was able to parlay it into an anniversary gift. I can best describe it as an alternative Anthology, told in his always perceptive and witty voice, without the censorship to which the official version of the Fabs' saga was obviously subjected. A pleasure to read. Hope it's reissued so others may enjoy it as much as I have.

2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I got to lay eyes on a copy a number of years back by having a local library put in an interlibrary loan request for it. I want to say it came from a college library.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I just picked up Mick Fleetwood's play on
    And I am Brian Wilson for 3 bucks each .
    Couldn't pass on that price

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The Grateful Dead Gear.
    Endless Trip.

Crazy used prices now and in dire need of a reprint.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    warewolf95 and Crimson Witch like this.
  5. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident Thread Starter

Came across another book today that I would love to read but for the silly prices it is going for today: Without You - The Story of Badfinger by Dan Matovina. Over £1000 for a new copy - ouch!

Strikes me there is a market out there for a music book reissue company to mine!

SRC and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I read a few posts where money is a problem... There are sites (archives.org for example) that have free e-books... Another search tool I use is to type out the title + pdf.

MarkTWIC likes this.
  7. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

Wow, I picked up a copy at a bargain book store for $5. Never got around to reading it.

8. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

I first read this book back in the 70's when I requested it from my local library. I've since picked up a paperback copy. I think what makes it such a good read is that he's not just traveling with the band, he's part of the show. That seems to give him a little bit more of an insiders view.

clhboa likes this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Bunny Wailer's bio Old Fire Sticks by Roger Steffens. Not published, looks like it won't ever be published any time soon due to various types of drama, hijinks and rumors.

10. martyweil

martyweil Forum Resident

Me And Big Joe by Michael Bloomfield

The tale of Micheal Bloomfield's early days in Chicago, where, in his quest to truly understand blues music, he befriends the great blues legend Joe Lee Williams.

I can't find this book anywhere but I'd like to read it.

11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'd love to read Mark Lewisohn's expanded 1800 page "Tune In" Beatles volume 1 giant.

It's sat on a shelf less than 2 feet away from me as I type.

It's just so big I feel like I don't know where to start with it! (Yes, I know, page 1 would be the answer....)

ConnieGuitar, dormouse and warewolf95 like this.
  12. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

When I have a spare second, I am going to read She's Like the Wind - My Recording Career and Complete Discography by Patrick Swayze.

:)

13. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

One thing I love about e-books is having the CONTROL-F feature... If you use this, what keywords do you search for? I love typing in words like "Favorite" (or favourite) "Movies" or names of substances and people. I also seem to type the word "sleep" or other conditions.

14. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Lucinda Williams by Anders Lindall

15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I finally got to read it last year. A guy at work had it since the 70's. He loaned it to me. Good read!

MortSahlFan likes this.
  16. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

The Pretty Things: Growing Old Disgracefully.

dormouse likes this.
  17. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

For those who've been holding out on this one I noticed it's been reprinted again, with a new intro by Johnny Depp no less, and is now available again at regular in-print prices and probably even cheaper soon.

elvismcdouglas and Runicen like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have it.... I'm thrilled to own this. : ) nice to have his and George's autos...beautiful book!

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I don't imagine Beep wrote anything in his book that could be any worse than some of the stories Stephen Davis, Richard Cole or Barney Hoskyns recounted in their Zeppelin books...

20. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

21. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident Thread Starter

22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I have a room full of LPs and CDs, and I don't enjoy reading books about music. I prefer novels and short stories.

23. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

Um, thanks for your input :wtf:

Jwroblewski likes this.
  24. Runicen likes this.
  25. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Roaring Lion's book listed here. https://www.amazon.com/Calypso-Fran...39273116&sr=1-1&keywords=roaring+lion+calypso

From a guy who was a veteran of the calypso scene for 50 years at the time of release: It was self-published in the 80s, but is revered by those who have it, and I have no idea why it hasn't been reissued. Trinidadians don't really do archive releases, hence the at times ridiculous prices for used calypso vinyl (of which, I'd estimate 80% is still unreleased on CD or Digital), and it's a shame.

I'd recommend you get Roger's book So Much Things To Say if you don't have it, it includes a fair few Bunny quotes taken from Roger's notes for Old Fire Sticks. I'd say it's the most comprehensive Wailers book released yet since everything is a direct quote from someone involved with them at the time.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.