Blu-ray 3D - not dead yet?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevywevy, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

You and me both. Used close outs are my only bet. Atmos is expensive, but getting the discs now is key

Even if Marvel quits 3D they have released enough to keep busy with for a long time. Same for the rest of the 3D on bluray.

Friday the 13th part 3 needs a proper release! I love Amityville 3D and there is no reason it shouldn't look that good.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Best Buy seems to get a lot of 3D Steelbook exclusives in limited editions. I know they had an exclusive Steelbook for Kong: Skull Island that included a 3D BD that wasn't available anywhere else that quickly sold out.

I don't have a 3D TV, but I wish I did. Some of the 3D movies are very cool. I especially enjoyed 3D Dr. Strange and 3D The Martian in the theater.

carrick doone and kevywevy like this.
  3. kevywevy

kevywevy Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes! I saw that at the theater and had a blast. I saw it on the shelf recently and was most disappointed to find out it's the old blue/red type of 3D.

4. kevywevy

kevywevy Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm Canadian but it's the same as the States. No more Marvel 3D.

5. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I have a glasses free 3D phone (from China) and the same people just put a glasses free 3D TV on the market. I watch my 3D films on it (don't want to put glasses on ever anymore too bothering). I have Avatar and T2 on it and anyone watching excerpts go crazy.

It's like watching a 3D movie in the theater, only you don't need the glasses.

When Avatar sequels come out, the whole world will go buggo and buy glasses free 3D TV. Apple crap iPhones will have to be either glasses free 3D or go bust. This is going to take the whole world by storm.

I suspect Avatar 2 & 3 glasses free 3D at very expensive prices showings, and playing sold out for months.

genesim likes this.
  6. Indeed when I was at Tower in Dublin they had a pretty fair selection of Blu 3D

7. I’m sorry but on a phone it won’t work for me. Seems to diminish the impact of a movie to me.

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Well, that sucks.

kevywevy likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not surprised they've stopped making 3D Blu Ray in North America, no love for the format. Europe -Asia different story. Even here a few members have no love for the medium.

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

There are a couple of films that, imho, lack without 3D, eg Scorsese's Hugo. Too bad the industry pulled the plug when there could be a market for 3D home video.

I think that a lot of recent movies had 3d added just to boost the ticket prices, but I feel sorry for 3d enthusiast that won't be able to enjoy the format at home.

Thankfully, 3D projectors are still manufactured and sold. Not terribly expensive, too

Top 10 3D Projectors

11. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

It starts with phones because the tech is easier on a smaller scale... The TVs are just coming out, next will be the cinema screens!

In the meantime, the phone is like a sampling of the future tech.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How much tech does it take make a regular tv 3D capable? They kept saying 4K sets were perfect for 3D because of the higher pixel count. Thanks for dropping the ball when the best quality was finally available.

alexpop and Pinknik like this.
  13. alexpop

Projectors?
    I want a 4K( 8K) 3D 75" TV damn it. :)

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

15. alexpop

:agree:

16. alexpop

17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

How much does adding 3d processing cost to the manufacturer? I would think in the competitive tv marketplace that somebody will be willing to add it to stand out from the pack.

Mr. E. Tramp, Ghostworld and alexpop like this.
  18. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I enjoy watching 3D blurays with my PSVR. I usually buy cheap ones at the local used stores.

19. alexpop

Sold out? Yeah ..true. I bought Kick -Ass 2, blu ray Steelbook new( dissapointing follow up), but cool art design. But I've yet to see that title turn up used in a B&M store. Folk hold on to them collectors.

Ghostworld and kevywevy like this.
  20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Prople are sheep. 3D is not going anywhere near extinction...just slight hibernation only to rise again one day when glasses free is full on.

The tech will be the same and hose 3D blurays will still be coveted as they are with collectors.

seventeen and Ghostworld like this.
  21. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Exactly. For now you can sample the technology on the new phones for cheap. Here is the link to the 3D glasses free phone I have:

Jiashun Digitech (Shanghai) Co., Ltd

And there is the first glimpse of their glasses free 3D TV

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

3D media is still being made.But for how long ?3D TVs arent going to function forever.

23. alexpop

What happened to TVs?
    One of the places when I was looking to buy a tv is now a supermarket. Another used to have big tv screens as you walked in the shop now there hidden in the back. Boom period seemed to be around 2012/2013. Anybody got statistics on TVs sales in the past few years ?

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.