Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

The McCartney album this recalls the most?

Of the one's I know, Venus and Mars. Both seem like they are based on quasi-concepts (half-baked, for sure, but kind of fun), one a stage show, the other a train journey/radio station, and, on each, a real smorgasbord of genres.

2. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

I like Memory Almost Full, but I agree the mastering was atrocious.

Whoever it was that said MAF gives them headaches, I can definitely see where you are coming from.

Although I am a headphone listener... (they probably aren't, whoever they are) it doesn't give me a headache or bother me so much- but I can DEFINITELY imagine it giving a headache to others, even if through a different medium.

The production just feels so harsh to the ears on headphones *compared to his other recent records* and noisy as though Kahne intended it to be as bright and ear-stinging as possible.

The Band and PhoffiFozz like this.
  3. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Maybe it's in the thread somewhere, but has anyone done or heard of a comparison of the sounds of the 180 and 140g pressings?

4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Quick interjection:

I greatly value my copy of Broad Street. I play Ballroom and Silly Love Songs about as much as anything in the catalog. Freaking Jeff Porcaro and Louis Johnson.... I also love I'm Not Such a Bad Boy and No Values. That's a darn fine rock band there.

I just avoid the lounge version of TLAWR. (I like the funk version of No More Lonely Nights just fine.)

theMess, Paul H, Who Cares and 3 others like this.
  5. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

As a child of the 80s, I always liked the Broad Street Long And Winding Road. Yes it’s 80s but that’s rather stating the obvious! Love the sax and Paul’s voice throughout Broad Street.

theMess, Choba b CCCP, Paul H and 3 others like this.
  6. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Is there going to be a version 3.0 thread about Egypt Station that is more improved? Clearly, we've only scratched the surface on this soon to be classic album.

theMess, Thumper, angelees and 2 others like this.
  7. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

I thought of John too and Paul's insecurity about the "who wrote what" controversies.

The line about stepping on hallowed ground is interesting too. Talking about women after Linda maybe?

angelees and Paperback Writer like this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

This is what Frank said about Egypt Station a score of 4,5 /10 -at least this is Franks rewiew. Classic Frank givin songs like Happy with you 3/10 and Despite repeated warnings 1/10.
    Franks rewiew of Egypt Station
    Roughly graded as it compares to the rest of the solo McCartney oeuvre.

Opening Station - N/A
    I Don't Know - Nice enough. No melody to speak of, at least not as far as one being sung. Words are above average and not all awkwardly run together as he is wont to do when he tires to write "good" lyrics. Not really my kind of music since I'm not depressed at the moment, but fine for what it tries to do. 6/10
    Come On To Me
    - First spark of energy. He sounds more menacing than hopeful about the prospect of this relationship, but all in all a fun if inconsequential, trite ride. Hate "YesIWillYesIWill" but the rest is fine. Well produced. 6/10.
    Happy With You - Talk singing. Not my thing at all. Is he saying he wasn't really happy before when he used to do those things? Should I doubt all that came before? 3/10
    Who Cares
    - I like this better now than I did on SiriusXM. Not as much as some seem to, but I like it enough. Again, a lot of talk singing. 7/10
    Fuh You
    - This is going to come as a surprise to some I think, but I am not horrified by this as an album track. I don't like it at all. But absent the act of blatant and sad desperation of reaching for something that just isn't there for him and won't be again (a hit single) and placed among the other tracks, it's not offensively bad, just regular bad. 1/10
    Confidante
    - Boring, awkward and tuneless. 3/10
    People Want Peace
    - Terrible. Kurstin tries every trick in the book to try to make this epic (thundering drums? We have those! Hand Claps and McCartney made to sound like a chorus of people, shouting over himself to the end like Hey Jude? Pile it on!), but they all fall flat. Like someone told someone without talent to write a parody McCartney song. One bonus point to Kurstin for realizing he needed to try to do something to save it 2/10
    Hand In Hand
    - Not horrible, but not good. I don't like the voice he affects here. It's annoying. He sounds out of breath and it makes me slightly uncomfortable. Back off the mic bro. 5/10
    Dominoes
    - This is the Paul McCartney I know. Sounds like Traveling Paulburys. I like the rhythmic invention at "And like the dominoes who are falling." Nice bass part. Too much acoustic guitar for me but it stops shy of Young Boy deafening thunder. I like the lead guitar part. It all clicks. Tasteful and elegant. All the little Paulisms are there and used to great effect. 7.5/10
    Back In Brazil
    - Should have been left off for something better. Nothing redeeming. 1/10
    Do It Now
    - Interesting chord changes. Kind of like someone ripping off their misconception of what the Beatles sound like. It's charming and he sings it well. They realized they needed a big build up section to make it go somewhere and they provided it. I wish the end cello thing there was longer because that sounds really good. 7/10
    Caesar Rock
    - I want to love it but I don't. Another lap dance - no pay off. Acoustic guitars here really harm it. Could have been made better without that riff being hammered out on wishy washy acoustics. 5/10
    Despite Repeated Warnings
    - Now I don't even like that musical section that I liked the other night. Sounds like when Broadway composers who have no business writing "pop/rock" decide they're going to write a rock musical. Like a cheesy 70s rock opera by people who look down on rock music and think they can do it better than people who actually do rock music. Forget Fuh You, the real embarrassment of Egypt Station is that they tried to promote this as anything like Live and Let Die or Band on the Run. That's a worse misrepresentation than saying OTG was his best since the White Album. 1/10
    Station II
    - Should have just been part of the following suite. What's the point?
    Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link - A complete triumph. Rock McCartney, Pop McCartney, guitar God McCartney. Everything you need to know about what the man can do in a 6.5 minute package. It's not a career best, but it's a late career highlight for sure. 9/10

Overall: 4.54/10

Last edite

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Wow. It's hard to imagine that Paul could top Mr. Children's cover of an Elton John song, or anything by Bump Of Chicken.... :magoo:

Ringo Hendrix and Dr. Pepper like this.
  10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That's an interesting analysis.

I think your theory is also interesting, but I hope it will be proven wrong when he releases his next album. [Which I hope is in less than 5 years... maybe 3? Or less if there is a soundtrack to the hopefully-released-someday-soon High In The Clouds..?]

OobuJoobu likes this.
  11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Speaking of "just thoughts"...

There has been much discussion around these parts about the state of Paul's voice. But on the other end of the spectrum, how is Paul's hearing? I hope there are no issues with it, but like Sir George Martin, I expect if he were having any diminished capacity in that area, I bet he would try and cover it up as best he can... :ignore:

I hope there are no such issues, but ... he is in his 70's and had to endure several tours with fans screaming at jet-level [or greater] volumes.... :cry:

12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

How dare you speak for Frank! Only Frank would know what he thinks! I know Frank, Frank is a fellow forum member, and you sir are no Frank!

theMess, Ringo Hendrix and Frank like this.
  13. Dr. Pepper

:laughup::biglaugh::laughup:

jmxw likes this.
  14. snowman872

That's not what the Mr. Children song is. It has millions of views and doesn't sound like Elton to me.

15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah, I figured it probably wasn't really a cover song of this,
    Your Song - Elton John
    but I was just going by the title.

PS. Did you know that Bump Of Chicken performed a cover of "The Beatles' version of Twist And Shout" during their ninth grade cultural festival for their first performance [in 1994]?

16. snowman872

No, I didn't know that. But when searching for it (unsuccessfully) I found Sweet Bump It's cover of "Twist and Shout!"

17. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

‘I Don’t Know’ / ‘Come On To Me’ - RSD Exclusive 7"

"To celebrate the success of Egypt Station charting straight in at #1 Paul will release an exclusive version of ‘I Don’t Know’ / ‘Come On To Me’ on 7” as part of Record Store Day. The hand-numbered vinyl is limited to 5,000 copies and available at independent record stores around the world from Friday 23rd November."

[​IMG]

18. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Looks like I'll have to line up outside of a record store for RSD.

Who Cares likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Or tunnel into one the night before.... ;)

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  20. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Wouldn't that be Thanksgiving? If so, I'll have to sneak away from my one hour lunch break when I'm at work.

21. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

I prefer to quantum tunnel, me personally. But thanks.;)

22. Dr. Pepper

Great name for a band!

23. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

A very wise analysis. This leaves the door “open “ just in case, although I always want more. If Paul still feels the creative muse, that’s great. If he decides not, we have more than enough work to enjoy and analyze for years to come. Any new work doesn’t “damage the legacy “, it enhances it.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

I disagree with this. Paul could do lots of things that would “damage the legacy “, see Driving Rain, Pipes of Peace, Broadstreet... He is obviously working very hard at self editing, with the help of his producers, to not let many of his lesser songs/ideas onto his recent works.

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  25. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Well, I think I’m referring more to those who automatically argue that it “damages the legacy “ because it’s not (Insert favorite here.....).

I agree with your driving rain and pipes assessments( I. have a soft spot for Broadstreet though).

Even if I don’t like an album I find something to enjoy. It’s all part of the nearly 50 year solo continuum.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.