Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac Over Dismissal from Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I said in a different thread that I can totally see this happening (except for the "playing Tom Petty's hits") part - though I'm sure they'd play a few of his hits, it would still be primarily a Stevie solo show setlist.

Stevie was personal friends with the members and loved their music and has said on several occasions that she wanted to BE a Heartbreaker. She even said in that Heartbreakers documentary from about a decade ago that in 1978 she liked their music more than Fleetwood Mac's and if given the opportunity would have happily quit FM to join The Heartbreakers.

I'm sure she was the one who suggested (if not demanded) that Mike Campbell be hired, and if Christine hadn't returned/wasn't currently in the band, I'd imagine she would have pushed for Benmont Tench to be hired for this tour as well.

Another possibility for the Heartbreakers at this point would be to become Dylan's backing band - which they've already done for a couple of years in the 1980s.

edenofflowers and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Let's not forget that that 'collaboration' was originally intended to be the new FM album...

They recorded those songs while waiting for Stevie to show up.

She totally had that whole band held hostage from the moment they stopped touring in 2015 until they caved to her and fired Lindsey.

She held out to the point LB and CMcVie decided to put out their songs and tour without Stevie.

That's time taken away from both FM (and the earning potential there) and also time away from his artistically fulfilling solo career...

Then, with Stevie out on solo tour last year, LB finishes ANOTHER record. And wants to tour behind it. He's asked to wait until after the Mac tour.

He then approaches Mac with the idea of touring his solo album while Mac is on tour - the dude is ambitious, lives to play, and his entire solo band was comprised of the Mac auxiliary musicians + techs, so it's not like he was asking Mick, John, Chris, and especially Stevie Nicks to do ANYTHING more than accommodate the idea...and they refused.

And Stevie used that moment, that weekend at MusicCares, to pull her powerplay.

Sad.

3. Former Lee Warmer

They're probably getting about $5-7 million dollars each...

I would've learned those songs and rehearsed the **** out of them with a whiny goat diva twirling all around the stage.

I'll bet they don't have to spend a dollar on tour unless they want to, either, so that's take-home pay.....

jamiesjamies, PDK and painted8 like this.
  4. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Yeah, and that Buckingham/McVie album is a damned fine album. It's so good that they could have added three mediocre Stevie songs, had 'em all polished up nice and Mac-like, and it still would have been a great album. And could have been a fine legacy statement for everyone to ride into the sunset with. But that's a legacy we're all gonna have to do without. What we have instead is this.

5. Former Lee Warmer

Nah, he can't make them tour with him...but they still have to pay him his cut.

That's why Mick won't use the word "fired"; it's not accurate.

"Fired" means something entirely different...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Sure! ANYBODY can be a fantastic musician, come up with great songs, create a mystique, and be revered 40+ years! ANYBODY!
    We're ALL in the "wrong business" if it's THAT easy!

It's not.
    And the sacrifices made personally and professionally would probably be too much for most folks even in the starting phase, and they'd want to get back into their "old business" soon.

It's mostly a cut throat "right business" for people like Azoff.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Ozzy doesn't control the Sabbath name and only the bass player controls the Guess Who name. Reunion revenues were split evenly.

8. Former Lee Warmer

LB's niece's husband is Mick's drum tech.

9. Former Lee Warmer

What was Mick's role in 'The Fake Mac'?

10. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Could a SHF staff member intercede and get his name spelled correctly in the thread title?

THX in advance......

Irish-Matti likes this.
  11. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Geez, how old are these people??

They are still learning how to adult.

12. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Exactly, how long did they hang on waiting for Stevie to finish her tour?
    And now she says "It's my way or the highway!"???

Last year she was touring with Chrissie Hynde.
    "Two Frustrated, Bitter, Old Women Tour" [2017]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    PDK and MrGrumpy like this.
  13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Classy.

14. Former Lee Warmer

I don't think that they are, Lance.

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. Former Lee Warmer

Pretty much.

Instead of 'awesome new Fleetwood Mac album with a tour comprising all new material interspersed amongst the hits + some deep cuts/solo tunes'...we get...this...

Which, I love LB, solo and in the Mac...and, I can also admit, the setlist they've been playing LOOKS killer (shouldn't have dropped "All Over Again", which may be Christine's best song of the 90's...) it should not have been like...this.

16. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

The story was Buckingham didn't want to tour till November 2019 according to Nicks. Buckingham's story is he wanted to tour more than Fleetwood Mac and was willing to tour. (and supposedly on days off play solo gigs) Someone isn't being honest here.

17. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly

somnar likes this.
  18. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I think people misunderstood what Stevie said because her wording was confusing. Her exact words were “next November” which probably meant THIS November. That lines up with what Lindsey is admitting here. He says he requested a delay from August to November but was denied. And, according to him, he was ready and willing to go along as planned.

PDK likes this.
  19. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

But so fitting for this band.....

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. Irish-Matti

"All Over Again" is a fantastic song. I'm sure Lindsey would have approved it as their last encore. It doesn't seem that the other
    members had actually ever listened to the lyrics. AOA could have been a great "swan-song" for the entire band. And it should be.
    Perhaps they should make up to break up; correctly

After the tour Lindsey could have done his solo thing, Christine could re-retire, Stevie join the Heartbreakers. John and Mick, well, who knows.
    For those who have never heard this beautiful song, please give the lyrics a good listen. It's Chris' from 1995, but it's even more spot on today.

Thanks for the ride.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    theMess and Former Lee Warmer like this.
  21. Irish-Matti

Old enough to know better!

22. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

And it's Lindsey who was hands down the best songwriter, singer, and musician in the band. He's not some hired hand; he was and is just as essential to the post-1975 Fleetwood Mac's whole identity as any of the others if not more so. Regardless of the money, I can see why he's pissed about how this was handled.

But the thing that astounds me about the whole story is that Neil Finn -- NEIL EFFING FINN, one of our greatest living auteur songwriters, with a titanic reputation of his own -- actually took a freelance gig working for Fleetwood Mac. Is he, like, inexplicably broke or something? It's as if Prince had decided to work part-time as Bob Dylan's tour backup singer. Plus Fleetwood Mac playing Crowded House or Split Enz songs? That's just bizarre.

23. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Where would Fleetwood Mac be playing shows today if Lindsey hadn’t joined in the 70s? They certainly wouldn’t be selling out arenas and fighting over millions of dollars.

They wouldn’t be in the RRHOF, either.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That started during Tusk

Lost In The Flood, somnar and Mazzy like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I have no idea, maybe breach of fiduciary duty? I would be surprised if FM’s legal team doesn’t come up with some counterclaims from a strategic perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.