American Buffalo and Al Pacino

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by genesim, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident Thread Starter

With the recent discussion about Once Upon a Time in America, and James Hayden dying of heroin overdose while doing play of American Buffalo with Al Pacino I just had to see film since the bluray was so cheap with Twilight Time sale.

I liked movie just didn't love it. I couldn't get Al Pacino out of my head doing character better.

I never was quite clear if Bobby character was a heroin addict in film or what exactly he "came close" with that turned out to be a big lie, but the dialogue seemed to take front stage to plot anyway.

Dennis Franz and Sean Nelson (great in movie Fresh) were perfect to me.

Despite Hoffman flaw I still think it was a great watch and a movie that I can fill out my Al Pacino experience once removed.

Can anyone suggest something else? I know his plays like Salome and Richard the III (released as Looking for Richard) and Chinese Coffee an Local Stigmatic but what about plays he did that starred other people in his style?

2. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

If you want to see Pacino doing Mamet in his prime, try Glengarry Glen Ross. I think you'd be pleased.

unclefred, ohnothimagen, SRC and 2 others like this.
  3. genesim

That is a great one. I have everything Pacino. Now I want any glimmer of his theater even if played by other actors (Hoffman was a close kind of example that I swear wss doing his style).

Michael likes this.
  4. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Hoffman was a rather strange choice for American Buffalo, IMO. Sometimes the thing to do with Mamet is just read the lines, and let the words carry the message. I've always felt Hoffman's interpretation of Teach was just too emotional... almost hysterical, even. And it distracted from the deadpan power of Mamet's script. In case you can't tell, I'm more into Mamet than Pacino, so I'm sticking with what I know.

unclefred, ronbow and Myke like this.
  5. genesim

I can still hear Pacino doing it better and he was awarded for it. I can onky dream of ever seeing his stage performances.

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as usual over the top!

genesim likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

BIG fan of Mamet here. Tempting me to pull out the mostly DVD collection I have of his works !

David Mamet - IMDb

Khaki F likes this.
  8. genesim

Over the top? I felt he played this one subdued like a lot of his movies thoughout his career. One of the greatest actors ever.

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

dude, put me on your ignore list...PLEASE.

genesim likes this.
  10. genesim

I don't do that. Perhaps you should add to the purpose of the subject instead?

Seems kinda silly to come to a subject I started. Make a putdown of an actor that I obviously admire then tell me to put you on ignore? Aren't you the one that has the request?

All because I disagreed with you?:shh:

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

I admire and love Al...been a fan since he started...all of his performances are over the top IMO...he's passionate in all the roles he plays...put down? LOL...that's your opinion. : )

genesim likes this.
  12. genesim

Over the top implies that he did more than what was needed. I feel he did exactly what the role called for in most every case (yup liked Jack and Jill and Gigli too).

When one says "usual" this implies that is all he does. It is like saying Julia Childs overbakes her pies as usual. Normal people question such a proclamation to a great cook...even if you like eating them.

What this has to do with ignore requests I will never know.

You stated your opinion/characteristic I asked for clarification.

P.S. don't ignore me. I like your posts even if you turned Walking Dead hater.:p

Michael likes this.
  13. GMDuss

GMDuss I Get A Custom One?

American Buffalo was shot across town from where I live in Pawtucket, RI. The interiors were shot in what used to be Ray Mullins Music Store, where took guitar lessons from 1977 to 1992, and worked as a teenager. I spent more half my life there, hanging out and jamming with musicians who passed through, and spent loads of time in the recording studio that was just around the corner. It was literally my world. Every time I see the opening exterior shots it hurts my heart. Those buildings, including the historic and once magnificent Leroy Theater next door, are all gone, replaced by a Walgreens and a Wendy's...

lightbulb likes this.
  14. genesim

When I was watching it I couldn't help but be reminded of how it was just another world. It looked so unique and that made me enjoy the film all the more. Thank you for sharing. I appteciate that.

For me I get real sad about torn down movie theaters. Hate that being exchanged for showplace cookie cutter crap. No wonder people stop going out to see movies anymore.

GMDuss likes this.
  15. GMDuss

GMDuss I Get A Custom One?

The first half of this music video was shot right out in front of that same music store (while I was inside watching) a few years earlier. Check it out.
    (And check out the drum kit with the bell-bottom toms. That kit was there for ages.)

Sorry for the threadcrap diversion...

genesim likes this.
  16. Michael

OK, fine...we're cool. : )

genesim likes this.
  17. genesim

Not a problem. Awesome!

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Glengarry Glen Ross ?
    Alec Baldwin was a scene stealer.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  19. genesim

He had a heck of a scene commentary. Comparing the inspiration to the Patton speech and stories he heard about salesmen and even using talking to God to convince people to buy.

20. Michael

I've been a fan of Alec's (most of) his ACTING ROLES since he first started...

21. alexpop

Surprised Baldwin can really act, Looking For Richard.

22. alexpop

Al Pacino my two favourite performances of his in the eighties are Crusing & Scarface.

23. genesim

Tarantino once said that he should have been Batman....you know what....I like it.

He only did 5 movies in that decade.

Revolution director's cut so much better.
    Sea of Love classic
    Author Author very underrated.

24. Michael

that may have been interesting...

25. alexpop

Yeah. Charismatic actor, like them all in that decade. But ..Scarface & the underrated Crusing are my favourites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.