Old pinch-clip speaker connection to new unbalanced RCA---how do i do this?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marc atkinson, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc atkinson

marc atkinson New Member Thread Starter

I have a 1977 Marantz 2252 with thos eold pinch-clips. I want to connect it to a pair of KRK v5 monitors that have a single RCA unbalanced port. I did a search and came up with nothing. Is there an available cable for this , or do I have to modify or make one?
    Thanks for any help and/or biting sarcasm.

2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Cut the cable in half, now you’ve got your 2 cables.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

KRK V5 monitors? Not a current model, because there isn’t any V5 listed on the KRK web site.

Anyway, KRK makes powered monitors. The RCA input is meant for the preamp output from an integrated amp or receiver or a standalone preamp. You can’t feed an amp’s (or integrated amp’s or receiver’s) speaker output into the KRK because you’ll basically kill the monitor quickly.

SandAndGlass and The FRiNgE like this.
  4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

What @Agitater said! Do not connect the KRK monitors to your Marantz speaker outputs. If the Marantz has a stereo pre-out RCA, connect the KRK monitors to these. You may try to connect to the Headphone jack on the Marantz, however not as "pure" as a pre-out. The headphone out will almost always be hotter vs pre-out, but should work. Some inputs however do not like the lower output impedance of headphone outs... and may alter the frequency response. The Marantz (if solid state) will be ok when operated without speakers connected.

Agitater likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

As I'm reading the title to the thread, I'm thinking, why would he want to do that?

Then he explains that his speakers have RCA connectors on them and then I'm thinking, why would anyone want to put RCA connectors on a speaker?

Till I read your post, it didn't occur to me that they were powered speakers. :laugh:

macster and Agitater like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.