EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Around this time, Little brother Andy was recording what would be his first Australian single, a song that would be re-recorded after he hit, but this original Australian single version sounds very much like the orchestral pop style his brothers had just left behind.

2. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

And so it begins...

I actually like “Jive Talkin” quite a bit. I also like their next few singles. But, when it becomes all Barry, all falsetto, all of the time - that’s a different story...

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Jive Talkin' was a good comeback for the brothers and showed the balladeers could boogie, too. Gimmicky fluff done well is a good thing. Still, not my favorite from the album nor second, third or fourth.

4. alphanguy

I think Jive Talkin is a decent song, and I can see how the earworm of a rhythm track propelled this to the top. However, I think the third single from Main Course, which stalled at #12 is by far the best song on the album.

5. alphanguy

Unfortunately, "Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)" would also be the last time we hear Robin sing a lead part on a single for several years. I don't dislike the Bee Gees disco music, but all falsetto, and them beginning to dress alike bugged the hell out of me. They are not the flippin Supremes.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I really like Jive

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  7. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Jive is my fave but a close second is "Edge of The Universe". I was very happy it got a second life as the single from the 'Live...At Last' lp a few years later. Despite their obvious overplayed status in the subsequent years, I can't imagine the 70's without 'em. Shame we only have one BG left

Witchy Woman and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Sweet Jeebus, finally!

Since their prior licorice pizza - the R&B-leaning Mr. Natural - had vanished without a trace, and "To Love Somebody" was far in the past, I'm sure people who paid attention to these things must have been gobsmacked when the Bee Gees of all people not only returned to the charts with a straight up disco track, but climbed all the way to #1 with it.

And what a track it is. Clearly hailing from the same Miami school of disco that K.C. & The Sunshine Band would come from - we'd already heard from "them" on George McCrae's number one from the prior summer, "Rock Your Baby", which was written by K.C. and Richard Finch and cut with several members of the band - the Bee Gees and their stellar band were nevertheless talented enough to put their own distinct spin on the sound. While the Bee Gees have somehow garnered a reputation as disco bandwagon jumpers, the reality is they were around here in the first phase of it, and disco really just represented another stop on the R&B side of the fence for them. Barry had already proven his abilities as an R&B songwriter back in the '60s but had always been reluctant to delve deeper into the genre, feeling it inauthentic. While they were certainly unlikely soul brothers, that certainly didn't impact their effectiveness. And indeed, as we'll come to see around this time a year or so from now, they ended up being probably the most innovative act in disco outside of Giorgio Moroder, not just becoming chart monsters but also partly driving the sound of the entire genre. Indeed, I'd argue that without the Bee Gees, disco might have faded pretty quickly the way psychedelic rock had back in the '60s, as year or two long lark and not a half-decade spanning threat to rock hegemony.

I was just a tyke at the time but I adored this song. And I still love it, farting bass synth and all. The keyboard hook coming out of the chorus is just inspired, and the breathy vocal is a perfect accompaniment to the song's mellow clop. My uncle liked this enough to grab the Main Course album, the first time he'd picked up a Bee Gees LP in quite a few years. This put them right back in the middle of the fray, and they wouldn't be relinquishing the limelight for the remainder of the decade.

This hit big right as I got taken on a trip to Disneyland for my 7th birthday - the bicentennial celebration stuff was already kicking into high gear at the house of the mouse - so hearing this one always takes me back to that summer, California's drought-browned highway medians (the bus ride from the airport seemed to go on forever), as well as various driving excursions thru the Phoenix suburbs and the Arizona desert I got taken on that summer. In fact, I think this was also the summer we visited the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum down in Tucson, and I remember the long drive home one Saturday afternoon, being chased by thunderstorms the whole way back to Phoenix, with "Love Will Keep Us Together", "The Hustle", "One Of These Nights", "Jive Talkin'" and "Rhiannon" and "Say You Love Me" from Fleetwood Mac playing on the radio (Mac were huge in Arizona due to Stevie's connections in the state). In fact I don't think I could hear any of those cuts without thinking of that drive.

We beat the storm to Phoenix by about an hour, but it put on quite a show as we sat down for dinner back home. Good times!

Speaking of Fleetwood Mac, oddly enough "Jive Talkin'" inspired the production on Fleetwood Mac's first single - "Second Hand News" - off their next album, the monster Rumours.

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

One of this trio's first of many great disco songs, a genre in which they were innovators as well as superstars.

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I love Fanny too, although the title always makes me laugh. And it must be even funnier to Brits.

"Be tender with my Fanny, love!" :biglaugh:

Grant likes this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Oh, so close, but I'll save that for when we discuss their next #1 hit.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I did not know who the Bee Gees were when this song came out. I just knew that I loved hearing it on the radio. It was fresh and funky.

Times were getting very good for Black music in 1975!

Timothy Fiacco and sunspot42 like this.
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Amen! "Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)" is arguably the best R&B ballad of the 7os. I never get tired of hearing it. Arif Mardin is also the star of this song. It has his signature arrangement with minor chords that he also used in a future Chaka Khan debut solo single.

BTW, we know what "Fanny" means here in the U.S., which sounds innocent enough, but how in the world did these three Brits get past the censors with a title like "Fanny" in the U.K., where it has an even naughtier meaning?:biglaugh: And, to add the subtitle (Be Tender With My Love) showed what a perverse sense of humor the brothers had!:laugh:

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

Fantastic Bee Gees song, the keybord hook right after the chorus is everything!

This is the top 10 for the week 'Jive Talkin'' climbed to number one (the week ending August 9, 1975):

01 (03) Bee Gees - Jive Talkin'
    02 (02) 10cc - I'm Not In Love
    03 (04) Olivia Newton-John - Please Mr. Please
    04 (01) The Eagles - One of These Nights
    05 (06) Elton John - Someone Saved My Life Tonight
    06 (07) Melissa Manchester - Midnight Blue
    07 (14) Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy
    08 (12) War - Why Can't We Be Friends?
    09 (15) James Taylor - How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
    10 (13) Mike Post - Rockford Files

And at number 89, a certain Swedish band debuted with their single 'SOS', which would later peak at number 15.

Rob P S likes this.
  15. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Perhaps surprisingly, "Jive Talkin'" didn't make the R&B chart. Had to double-check to make sure, it seems like a natural crossover.

16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I'm not gonna jump ahead too much, so I'll only drop hints. This original studio version was on first-pressings (in the U.S.) of a two-record soundtrack LP that sold like hotcakes and then some; but along the way was replaced by a live version from a live double-LP they put out before the movie in question came out.

Actually, their performing "Jive Talkin' " at that Atlantic 40th fit - as their label by then, RSO, was still distributed by Atlantic through that and the "Fanny" song. Stigwood didn't switch U.S. distributors until the time of the 'Gees' next #1.

Grant likes this.
  17. alphanguy

Arid Mardin is a brilliant producer, and I know the Bee Gees had to change their sound with the times at some point, but I still miss the hell out of Bill Shepherd.

18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Speaking of which, first version of said album that I had seen (which was someone else's) had studio version of "Jive Talkin''". Then, several years later, I bought a used copy of the LP, and it had the live version. I much prefer the studio version of "Jive' Talkin"', wanted a copy of the LP with the studio version, and probably wound up buying several more used LPs before I found one that had the studio version. This was probably my first instance in being annoyed that a live version had been substituted for a studio version on an LP, with nothing to indicate that such a change had been made.

As I recall (I was looking), there wasn't anything on cover that stated that Jive Talkin' was (now) a live version.
    I remember the inner liner had copyright dates --- maybe the copyright date was different (1975 for studio version, 1977 for live version).
    In retrospect, I wonder if the elapsed time on the label was different between the studio and live versions, and maybe that was one way to check which version was there.
    I am sure that the carved letters in the area of the inner groove on the vinyl had to be different for different versions of that LP, but I didn't know enough to check that at the time.
    But still - everything I have mentioned that could have changed -- if you were buying the LP new, you'd have to have bought the LP and broken the shrink wrap to see any of that. Fortunately I was buying used copies, of which there were plenty.

There must have been a reason for this change, perhaps related to the Stigwood distribution deal that changed after the Main Course LP?
    ======================================================
    I've warmed to their disco songs, as long as I don't hear them too often.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  19. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

That is great song.
    I remember that one well. It played on the radio a lot.

ChrisScooter1 likes this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That's a really solid Top 10.

Bevok, Jrr, Grant and 2 others like this.
  21. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Edge of the Universe is a great one.
    I heard it on the radio maybe once or twice and loved it.

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Here is the entire chart the last week Jive Talkin' was at the top.
    All US Top 40 Singles for 1975 - Weekly Top 40

Note, like someone else commented, there's not a weak song in the Top 10. It's a very solid Top 10.

US Top 40 Singles Week Ending 16th August, 1975
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

TW LW TITLE –•– Artist (Label)-Weeks on Chart (Peak To Date)

1 1 JIVE TALKIN’ –•– Bee Gees (RSO)-12 (2 weeks at #1) (1)
    2 4 ONE OF THESE NIGHTS –•– Eagles (Asylum)-12 (1)
    3 3 PLEASE MR. PLEASE –•– Olivia Newton-John (MCA)-11 (3)
    4 5 SOMEONE SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT –•– Elton John (MCA)-7 (4)
    5 15 FALLIN’ IN LOVE –•– Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds (Playboy)-9 (5)
    6 7 RHINESTONE COWBOY –•– Glen Campbell (Capitol)-12 (6)
    7 8 WHY CAN’T WE BE FRIENDS? –•– War (United Artists)-16 (7)
    8 9 HOW SWEET IT IS (To Be Loved By You) –•– James Taylor (Warner Brothers)-9 (8)
    9 6 MIDNIGHT BLUE –•– Melissa Manchester (Arista)-15 (6)
    10 10 THE ROCKFORD FILES –•– Mike Post (MGM)-14 (10)

11 2 I’M NOT IN LOVE –•– 10cc (Mercury)-14 (2)
    12 22 GET DOWN TONIGHT –•– K.C. and the Sunshine Band (T.K.)-6 (12)
    13 17 LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER –•– The Captain and Tennille (A&M)-18 (1)
    14 14 MORNIN’ BEAUTIFUL –•– Tony Orlando and Dawn (Elektra)-9 (14)
    15 18 FIGHT THE POWER (Part 1) –•– The Isley Brothers (T-Neck)-9 (15)
    16 20 AT SEVENTEEN –•– Janis Ian (Columbia)-10 (16)
    17 12 LISTEN TO WHAT THE MAN SAID –•– Wings (Capitol)-12 (1)
    18 21 HOLDIN’ ON TO YESTERDAY –•– Ambrosia (20th Century)-10 (18)
    19 26 COULD IT BE MAGIC –•– Barry Manilow (Arista)-8 (19)
    20 24 WASTED DAYS AND WASTED NIGHTS –•– Freddy Fender (ABC / Dot)-9 (20)

21 25 FEEL LIKE MAKIN’ LOVE –•– Bad Company (Swan Song)-7 (21)
    22 27 THAT’S THE WAY OF THE WORLD –•– Earth, Wind and Fire (Columbia)-7 (22)
    23 23 JUST A LITTLE BIT OF YOU –•– Michael Jackson (Motown)-11 (23)
    24 29 BALLROOM BLITZ –•– Sweet (Capitol)-10 (24)
    25 30 THIRD RATE ROMANCE –•– The Amazing Rhythm Aces (ABC)-9 (25)
    26 31 HELP ME RHONDA –•– Johnny Rivers (Epic / Soul City)-6 (26)
    27 33 THAT’S WHEN THE MUSIC TAKES ME –•– Neil Sedaka (Rocket)-8 (27)
    28 34 RENDEZVOUS –•– The Hudson Brothers (Rocket)-9 (28)
    29 13 DYNOMITE (Part 1) –•– Tony Camillo’s Bazuka (A&M)-18 (10)
    30 35 FAME –•– David Bowie (RCA)-8 (30)

31 41 TUSH –•– ZZ Top (London)-5 (31)
    32 38 ‘TIL THE WORLD ENDS –•– Three Dog Night (ABC)-7 (32)
    33 43 BLACK SUPERMAN / MUHAMMAD ALI –•– Johnny Wakelin and the Kinshasa Band (Pye)-21 (33)
    34 11 THE HUSTLE –•– Van McCoy and the Soul City Symphony (Avco)-18 (1)
    35 44 I BELIEVE THERE’S NOTHING STRONGER THAN OUR LOVE –•– Paul Anka with Odia Coates (United Artists)-4 (35)
    36 46 DAISY JANE –•– America (Warner Brothers)-5 (36)
    37 45 TWO FINE PEOPLE –•– Cat Stevens (A&M)-5 (37)
    38 40 (Shu-Doo-Pa-Poo-Poop) LOVE BEING YOUR FOOL –•– Travis Wammack (Capricorn)-9 (38)
    39 39 LOOK AT ME (I’m In Love) –•– The Moments (Stang)-7 (39)
    40 65 SOLITAIRE –•– The Carpenters (A&M)-3 (40)

THIS WEEK’S DROPS

49 36 SEND IN THE CLOWNS –•– Judy Collins (Elektra)-9 (36)
    53 16 I’M ON FIRE –•– The Dwight Twilley Band (Shelter)-17 (16)
    56 19 SLIPPERY WHEN WET –•– The Commodores (Motown)-15 (19)
    57 28 THE WAY WE WERE / TRY TO REMEMBER (Medley) –•– Gladys Knight and the Pips (Buddah)-17 (11)
    59 32 ROCKIN’ CHAIR –•– Gwen McCrae (Cat)-14 (9)
    61 37 SWEARIN’ TO GOD –•– Frankie Valli (Private Stock)-14 (6)

POWER PLAYS

41 49 GLASSHOUSE –•– The Temptations (Gordy)-6 (41)
    42 52 THE PROUD ONE –•– The Osmonds (MGM)-4 (42)
    43 53 HOW LONG (Betcha’ Got a Chick On the Side) –•– The Pointer Sisters (Blue Thumb)-5 (43)
    44 54 DREAM MERCHANT –•– New Birth (Buddah)-7 (44)
    45 55 FEELINGS –•– Morris Albert (RCA)-9 (45)
    46 42 HOPE THAT WE CAN BE TOGETHER SOON –•– Sharon Paige and Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (Philadelphia International)-7 (42)
    47 51 IT DOESN’T MATTER ANYMORE / WHEN WILL I BE LOVED –•– Linda Ronstadt (Capitol)-19 (2)
    48 58 DANCE WITH ME –•– Orleans (Asylum)-5 (48)
    50 62 IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE –•– Tavares (Capitol)-4 (50)

DEBUTS THIS WEEK

64 — I’M SORRY / CALYPSO –•– John Denver (RCA)-1 (64)
    67 — GONE AT LAST –•– Paul Simon and Phoebe Snow (Columbia)-1 (67)
    80 — CAROLINA IN THE PINES –•– Michael Murphey (Epic)-1 (80)
    83 — WHAT A DIFF’RENCE A DAY MAKES –•– Esther Phillips (Kudu)-1 (83)
    86 — POR AMOR VIVIREMOS (Love Will Keep Us Together) –•– The Captain and Tennille (A&M)-1 (86)
    87 — DREAMING A DREAM –•– The Crown Heights Affair (De-Lite)-1 (87)
    89 — I GOT STONED AND I MISSED IT –•– Jim Stafford (MGM)-1 (89)
    90 — DEPARTMENT OF YOUTH –•– Alice Cooper (Atlantic)-1 (90)
    95 — TO EACH HIS OWN –•– Faith, Hope and Charity (RCA)-1 (95)
    96 — WE BEEN SINGIN’ SONGS –•– Baron Stewart (United Artists)-1 (96)
    97 — HOUSE OF STRANGERS –•– Jim Gilstrap (Roxbury)-1 (97)
    100 — WHAT YOU GOT –•– Duke and the Drivers (ABC)-1 (100)

cut to the chase likes this.
  23. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

I don't recall ever hearing of Duke and The Drivers.
    100 — WHAT YOU GOT –•– Duke and the Drivers (ABC)-1 (100)

Note the Capt. and Tennille song.

24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I remember the program director of the radio station I worked at calling a bunch of us into his office to play "Jive Talkin'" on his turntable for us. He hid the cover and made us guess who the artist was. No-one ever guessed the Bee Gees!

MAIN COURSE has become one of my favorite albums ever. "Jive Talkin'" was an amazing single, and like others, I am also extremely fond of "Nights On Broadway", "Edge Of The Universe", "Fanny (Be Tender)", "Wind Of Change", and "Songbird."

Bevok, Grant, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  25. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Besides the one on top, the other 45's from this chart in my collection are #4 - 7, 11 - 13, 15 - 17, 19, 22, 24, 30, 34, 35, 45, 50, 64 and 83.