David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

or the excellent Swingin' Pig CD: David Bowie - Serious Moonlight

pobbard and footprintsinthesand like this.
  2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I'm surprised to find myself quite enjoying Never Let Me Down 2018. I haven't liked any of the individual tracks but collectively it seems to work OK.

CBackley likes this.
  4. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I used to have that. The Glass Spider disc in the new set should be an upgrade for the 1987 portion and I strongly recommend hunting down the Swingin' Pig version of the 1983 show, taken from a much cleaner, superior source. Huge upgrade.

5. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Does anyone know if there's going to be a 24 bit download? Qobuz only has 16 bit, & HDT's "Top 4" on Facebook don't mention this one.

6. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

In the Netherlands yes it's on Spotify. I'm now listening.

Ben Adams likes this.
  7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Excellent. Well, at least I'll get to hear it tomorrow anyway. Bright light is that I finally got an Amazon shipping notice, and it'll arrive on Saturday - that's much better than waiting until Wednesday!

8. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

My box arrived from Bull Moose today. Haven't had a chance to open it yet, but it promises to be a fun weekend!

Runicen, jimhb, Dbstay and 3 others like this.
  9. That clown of a business Amazon Australia have just sent an email saying they won't receive stock before 16 November.
    Showed it as shipping today until an hour ago and assured people caught up in the non supply of the Lennon box last week that they had enough stock of Loving The Alien to fulfill preorders.

scobb likes this.
  10. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

“Look Back In Anger” from Serious Moonlight.

The whole show :love:

11. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I'll get the vinyl breakouts in February, and if those are good, MAYBE the CD box. But right now, I have enough stuff to buy (and I haven't even listened to my Welcome To The Blackout vinyl yet).

12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Spotify USA was on the job at midnight tonight Eastern. And nobody else is. Spotify has the whole enchilada, including NLMD'18, which I don't want to hear lossy, so "Dance!" it is!

Tidal has redbook in their store for sale, but none of the hi-res stores are online with it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Tyler Chastain and SoundDoctor like this.
  13. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Looking at the time durations on Spotify ... looks like "Magic Dance" is a 4:14 edit that appeared on the recent digital download version of Labyrinth, not the full 5:13 album version ...

Well I'm not getting rid of my old ones (I wouldn't have anyway ;), thinking something like this would happen)

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  14. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

NLMD18 is interesting. Remains to be seen if I'll listen to it a lot. Stoked they realized Bowie's want to revisit this album

gomen ne and Juggsnelson like this.
  15. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It's on Google Play.

Listening to "Modern Love" right now. Doesn't immediately sound different than my '99 remaster. Maybe I'll have to do a back-to-back.

16. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

As of right now, the best of the '18 NLMD is "Never Let Me Down" and "New York's In Love" for me, after only about a 30 sec sample of each track. I'm kinda disappointed in "Day-In, Day-Out," probably the only one of the new version that I wouldn't prefer over the original.

TonyCzar likes this.
  17. William Hall

William Hall Forum Resident

The YouTube playlist is up as well.

pablo fanques likes this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Okay, it ain't happening tonight, but Tidal's got the new St. Vincent@ lossless, so I'm checkin' in again tomorrow when everybody WAKES UP!

19. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

For those in Europe, Qobuz has 16/44 also. It looks like there's either not going to be a 24 bit version, or it's going to be delayed like the full SDE of Sgt Pepper's was. 24 bit has kinda become my thing, & Bowie's one of my fav's even if this is one of his weakest periods, so I'm not real happy!

TonyCzar and dtuck90 like this.
  20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Get ready for another 100 pages of negative raves over what people think is wrong and the eternal ‘I prefer the originals’-mantra.
    Nevermind the positives.
    There, I said it.
    Bye.

21. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

Oh, the track I was most looking forward to was the 2018 new version of Never Let Me Down, but they've changed the chords and it's lost its charm for me. Boo.

Max Florian likes this.
  22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

[​IMG]

gomen ne and CBackley like this.
  23. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I preordered this and am yet to receive an email. It has not shipped but states delivery after 25 October. Such a ****ing joke :realmad::cussing:

24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

I don’t think there’ll be vast pages of negatives, or of positives. The interest isn’t there for this period or this box set, unlike the previous boxes.

gomen ne and scobb like this.
  25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

According to Amazon au my lp set won't ship till November 21st but has a delivery estimate of 7th November till 10th December?