New Tom Petty/Heartbreakers Compilation: "The Best of Everything"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Oct 5, 2018.

1. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

So here is the complete chat that Benmont Tench did with Facebook Live this afternoon. I was thinking of posting a recap below, but once you've seen this video the entire way through you will probably understand why any typewritten transcript could never do it justice. Please watch:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I watched it in its entirety earlier. You can tell Benmont’s heart is still shattered.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I really feel for the guys in that band.

4. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I was not aware of that. I stand corrected.

5. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Finally a Petty comp that covers multiple labels.

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Yes it will sell out pretty quickly. 1000 copies world wide is not very many. No it will not be sold for twice the price...........4-5 ...maybe ten times original price. Or more

markp likes this.
  7. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Am I right in saying there is zero repetition of any songs on the 2 new box sets ( alt. Version excluded)?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Yes. A few songs overlap, but they're in different versions.

ARK, Hep Alien and Vox78 like this.
  9. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

This is pretty darn flawless I gotta say.. I’d swap ‘it’ll all work out’ for ‘make it better ’ but that’s nitpicking..a great compilation.

melstapler and AKA like this.
  10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Thanks!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Let me see If I have all this straight. The 2016 Box Sets Vol 1+2 were newly remastered 180 gram pressings? The 2017 individual releases were the same mastering as the box sets? They seem to be mostly 180 gram pressings. Some listings don't designate so possibly some are not 180 gram?

Now the Best of Everything and American Treasure are both remasters? Not complaining but seems like remastering is almost required now for new releases to get people to bite.

12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

This new 2CD will make an excellent gift for the holidays.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Despite saying I would only download the two unreleased tracks I've only gone and pre-ordered the LP set, talk about a marketing man's dream, I need to have a word with myself, weak...

14. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

No friend, not weak at all. It's a great feeling to support an artist you believe in while having a physical copy of the release. I'm getting the LP and CD versions, probably addition copies as gifts for the holidays.

15. The Killer

Tom's worth it, I'm just playing the blu-ray from Live Anthology, should finish at about 3 o'clock this afternoon, so good.

16. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I’m hoping to spend tonight and tomorrow playing it. I’m kicking off Tom Petty week in honor of what would’ve been his birthday Saturday.

17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I guess to some it can be overkill, but I think The Best of Everything and An American Treasure are aimed at two distinct groups of fans--one who wants only "the hits" and one who wants everything. Of course the hardcore fans are going to want both and it is surprising that the two releases are coming out so close together-- and that the artwork is totally different. You would think the two sets would have a more uniform "look."

Also somewhat surprising--and disappointing is the fact that studio versions of two great Petty songs--"A Woman in Love" and "A Face in the Crowd' are nowhere to be found on either set.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and Mr. D like this.
  18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

And yet...if you buy both sets, you will kind of have the narrative box set that some yearn for.

19. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

yeah that is disappointing for me. "A Woman In Love" is certainly in my top five favorite Tom Petty tunes. Though I am really looking forward to receiving "The Best Of Everything" clear vinyl version none the less.

20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

$2.19 in Australia! Must be the additional transportation costs for the file to reach here?!

JoeF. likes this.
  21. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@Dave Hoos You should get this one, mate! You're not too familiar with Petty, and it'd be a great start for you.

John Fell and Dave Hoos like this.
  22. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

From deciding I didn't need this comp, I go and order the CD edition and then upon discovering that there's a 4LP S.E. clear vinyl set I go and order that. Willpower? Who needs it?

The Killer likes this.
  23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Amazing and heart breaking at the same time!

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  24. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I, for one am grateful that we are starting to see material being put out after Tom's untimely passing last year. As more than a 'casual' fan, I got the 4 CD AT set, the HDTracks Hi-Res. and the Vinyl is on pre-order. Like many I too was a bit surprised by the timing of the compilation set but totally get that Universal and Warner's/Reprise are sharing with each other and that makes sense to me. This is very similar to the Studio Sets (Vol. 1 = Universal and Vol.2 = Warner/Reprise). Was I handcuffed into buying this new compilation? Nope. But I pre-ordered the vinyl and I will be all in on the Hi-Res. when it is released as well. Clearly, AT is for more for a die hard fan and the Compilation will be for a casual fan and the new fan checking TP/HB out for the first time.

It would be great if they threw in a download card for the Hi-Res. with the Clear vinyl version as that was almost a standard not that long ago for a number of TP projects or provide the full dynamic range CD like the Mudcrutch releases (First LP and Live EP vinyl). Mudcrutch 2 pre-order came with the Hi-Res. as well.

If they would have had a limited, numbered colored vinyl set of American Treasure exclusive to TomPetty.com, I would have paid a $10 premium for that! I am just glad that they are still putting out physical media and that deluxe vinyl is being offered....

One final thought for those on the fence about the clear vinyl. I remember when they first announced the Damn The Torpedoes 2 LP set on red vinyl (limited to 500 numbered copies). My budget did not allow me to pull the trigger on that one until it was sold out and I regretted that for years. I ended up getting the black vinyl before it went completely OOP. The Red vinyl was going for stupid $ on the Bay and I lucked into a copy for $50 in June of 2017 and what a beautiful set it is. Anyways, my point is that if you get the clear vinyl and decide it is just not for you I would almost guarantee you will be able to get your money back if you leave it sealed. There are not many releases that you can be sure will hold value like that but this will likely be one of them. The black vinyl will likely be in print for a long time however...

I, for one, am glad that Ryan is involved with these projects as it has always been very clear (excuse the clearly obvious pun) that he and Tom shared the same thoughts on Hi-Res. and vinyl for people who really care about the music they purchase and felt it was important that this material was available for us in a quality package.

500Homeruns, Hep Alien and dougb222 like this.
  25. The Killer

*high five*