David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Mine should be here today! Personally this is my favorite era of Bowie. I love NLMD it was actually the first cd i ever purchased. Glass spider was the first time i ever saw David live. I am excited for the new mix of NLMD. And for all you audiophiles I’m gonna rip the disc at 128 and listen to them on my AirPods.

2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I don't know about the cd.
    But I just bought the LP boxset and spinned "Let's dance". The music is breathing and perfectly remastered. At last ! The previous CD of Let's dance I had (the japanese paper sleeve edition) WAS loud and tiring to listen to.
    The 2018 Lp is great, not over-compressed at all (if ever), and it sounds just like the 1983 UK Lp. I cranked it up real loud, and it still was pleasure to hear :)

I believe Vaughan's post, but I can't see why on Earth they would do a good job on the Lp and a butcher job on the CD, for the same boxset.

As for the packaging and quality of the sleeves, artworks, etc... It's a fantastic job, as it was on the previous boxes.

enro99, CBackley, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Hey, I'm open to opposing views. The numbers don't lie though, it's DR8. I've now played the album 3 times, and to my ears it sounds okay, there's certainly a lot of detail there - albeit it in a slick Niles Rodgers kind of way. But I have to take into account some of the people on this site who are very exacting in their demands. On CD, I think a few of them will be predictably bothered.

I read the Let's Dance section in the booklet, and Rodgers makes a huge deal about taking care in the remastering, of doing the music and Bowie justice, because the record had been so important to him. It's a wonderful tribute to Bowie, and gives some context.

Going to go and play Let's Dance a fourth time now....

4. obi

obi Forum Resident

Do you mean "slick" as in Earl Slick?

johnnyyen and JumpinJimF like this.
  5. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Well I usually prefer Slick to slick, but I guess this is both

obi likes this.
  6. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Self-flagellation or exacting audiophile investigative process?

johnnyyen and ejluther like this.
  7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I've streamed about half of "Dance" (lossless on Tidal). Like "Re:Call2", it's more fun of a listen than it looks like it should be on paper.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The former, definitely the former.

I have a horrid relationship with this album. It has assaulted me, and I it, since release in the early 80's. With the release of this box, it's time for us to put down our weapons, and find a way to embrace.

In all seriousness, I am using these boxes to truly examine Bowie's work. That's easy on stuff I already like, but for the likes of Let's Dance and Tonight, is a whole other matter. I'm determined to find something in every song to enjoy. I've spent my money, so now I must spend the time. It's an effort, but sometimes that's what's needed.

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

It's certainly not helpful without firm suggestions and alternatives.

I notice that Acoustic Sounds is selling the vinyl for $279.98 (but still no hi-res download. Argh.) vs. Amazon's $233.54

Were I a vinyl man, I'd pay the mom-and-pop tax. (I already do for downloads, although there seems to be an "agency pricing" model governing downloads at the moment, and the price variances smaller. Point granted pre-emptively.)

Acoustic Sounds is keeping several dreams alive, and doing more for me as a music buyer in the long run than Amazon.

(Of course, I went and pulled the Amazon trigger on the new St. Vincent CD this morning since it's obviously not coming out in 24-bit (Seven day delivery. It's on Tidal. I got time.). There's definitely a competitive advantage to having a record store one click away.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

You've never really heard "Ricochet" until you've heard the vinyl.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Wow! This is the first time I ever considered the idea of pulling a knife on an album, but maybe it's something worth trying. I can spray mace at the turntable if "Tumble and Twirl" starts upsetting me.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'd shop in a brick and mortar - if there was one without 20 miles of where I live. It's just a ridiculous dream to do such a thing here. It's a shame, because I remember the good old days pre-internet. But honestly, I have no choice but to use online.

Nah, I'd not go that far. It's a great track, however you hear it.

ejluther likes this.
  13. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I would only get this box because I bought the previous three.
    I had none of the albums from the last box and was surprised by how much I liked it, mostly because of Eno.
    Would I feel the same about this one?
    I see on the Acoustic Sounds website it didn't even break into the top 50 vinyl boxes sold there.
    And there are plenty boxes on that list I'd rather have.

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I won't swear on a stack of bibles, but I'm pretty sure the "Tumble and Twirl" on "Dance" is the first time I've ever heard that song. Ever. Um, I like it. :hide:

15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Walk away, walk away.

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"That's Motivation":

Now you haz class
    Now you haz flash

Bowie was doing cat memes in 1985.

17. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

Try before you buy...?

Generally, you'll find that most Bowie fans have the "Berlin albums" that you like near the top of their favourites, and Tonight and NLMD near the bottom.

scobb and SoundDoctor like this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds is online-only, AFAIK. But there are B&Ms with online options.

But I feel your shopping pain. There's 1 record store left within practical distance to me, and they moved house around the time of ANCIANT.

19. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I'm picking this up from my local shop today. $230 plus tax, have fun waiting for your box.

Vaughan and TonyCzar like this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Parlophone hype quoted on page 1:

Fans listening to ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN (2018)’ would be forgiven for thinking that they were listening to a brand new ‘lost’ Bowie record.

Oh, it's lost, alright.

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As Criminal World plays for, what, the 7th time or so...... it's worth remembering that Never Let Me Down wasn't universally panned. I've certainly always enjoyed it for what it is. In latter years it seems to have become increasingly maligned, which perhaps makes sense as it falls in context with what was to come. Still, never has there been a better time to give it a chance. Whether one likes the idea of NLMD18 or not, they've done it, and delivered it. There's no harm in giving yourself over to it.

I'm not going to rush to the new version. It's sitting there, but I treat these boxes like a fine wine, small sips. Hell, it's got to last me the next 12 months.

Runicen, CBackley, JumpinJimF and 2 others like this.
  22. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I'm really up for this remake, and I do love the original album a lot, but they have destroyed Day-In, Day-Out. I was really hoping to be positive, but I've just played it for the first time and it sounds like the soundtrack to a cheap 90s sci-fi movie. The brass sounds worse. Is this real brass now?
    They've added a lot of buzzes and bleeps for no seeming reason, unless they were buried on the original mix and I couldn't hear them.
    I don't like it - it's a mess now and I really liked the original a lot.
    I like the new Zeroes though. Still haven't heard the rest.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Dance" works. There, I've said it.

There's a time and a place for complete anthologies of every Bowie 12" in the world (and it's called the Pirate Bay? I kid.), but this disc makes sense as is.

BlueSpeedway and Runicen like this.
  24. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

It's odd but I don't hate it. There is something of a theme to Let's Dance (China Girl) and Tonight (Loving The Alien, Tumble and Twirl) - a critique of colonialism.

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I don't know man - I know they wanted to make the cover appear to be contemporaneous and all, but it's really excruciating. :D

Markyp likes this.