Kirmuss Audio Ultrasonic RCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve0, Apr 28, 2018.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Ha ha, I 've seen it before, hilarious!
    By the way, yesterday, my KLaudio restored back to its former glory a George Benson LP that I have gotten from Goodwill and had vacuum cleaned twice on the VPI with no success. It is amazing how an LP can turn from VG to VG++ in about 10 minutes.:pineapple:
    Ultrasonic does not seem to work all the time, but, when it works, IT WORKS!

2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

This is yet another posting of the WD-40 guy. Or call him the Label Soaker guy.

Don’t use the solvent, WD-40, on your LPs. You will be sorry if you do.

3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

He dresses pretty flashy though. You should see me when I'm doing this (no WD-40 though). I'm not wearing a tie and matching pocket kerchief. Not a well-dressed man, I guess. (No lab coat either). :)

4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

He is what used to be referred to as a natty dresser. In an LP cleaning video, the loud jacket and tie are completely incongruous. It’s funny.

At any moment I expect him to stop the scrubbing and spraying and wiping and testing, turn and look directly into the camera, then dive into an Infomercial pitch. You know...

Tired of all the wiping and detergent and awful WD-40 sprays? What a smell! Terrible! Tired of getting stains on your brand new sport jacket? Oh the dry cleaning bills! Tired of LPs that won’t stop snap, crackle and pop no matter what you do? Well help is at hand! Introducing the LP Manual-Electric Scrubbing System. Yes folks, LP MESS is here now, and you can it have delivered to your door today for the low, low price of only 89.95! Can you believe it?

5. I know the Kirmuss instructions state all of the steps you cite, no argument there. But - at least in my practice - all I need to do is run the LP through the Kirmuss for 5 minutes and have notable, positive results. On occasion, I add Spin Clean fluid, and may rinse in my Spin Clean. It's a pretty easy, relatively quiet process and for the $ invested, works well for me.

rollo5, bluesaddict, Agitater and 2 others like this.
  6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

They’re now selling this in London Drugs, (an 80 store Western Canadian chain that isn’t just a drug store, they have an A/V department among other things).
    Will go have a look this weekend.

7. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

What's amazing to me is that most of the negative posts about the Kirmuss machine cite the supposed difficulties you have to go through to clean records, which is not true. And this is from people who have never used one. Head scratcher.

macster, bluesaddict and Shawn like this.
  8. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

He recommends only cleaning for a half hour

9. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Someone suggested earlier in the thread a glycol to water mix of 1 to 99 parts. Said this is what is used. I bought the glycol for 10 bucks or so and it's enough to last twenty years of cleaning

Soundhead and Shawn like this.
  10. How do you find it, is it the same as the kirmuss fluid?

It's 99% Distilled Water & 1 % Propylene Glycol, correct?

bluesaddict likes this.
  11. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Yes, I believe I got it on Amazon but don't recall right now

Soundhead likes this.
  12. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I also get great results with the Kirmuss, sans surfacant. Unless I know there is mold/mildew likely present, I rarely use it. I’ve cleaned hundreds of records now and am still on the first bottle.

Shawn likes this.
  13. Grainger49

Grainger49 Forum Resident

That is what he says. However... I bought lab grade Ethylene Glycol (Charles says Ethyl Glycol) and mixed it with careful measurements. It does not wet the album like his mixture does. I can only surmise that he didn't tell the whole truth.

A search for Ethyl Glycol goes to 2-ethoxyethanol.

14. Smokinone

Smokinone Well-Known Member

Kirmuss also referred to the surfactant as DIOL 2, I believe.

15. Clayton93

Clayton93 Forum Resident

Grainger49, Soundhead and Tommyboy like this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

17. Clayton93

Clayton93 Forum Resident

Well his formula is 98-99% of distilled water to 1-2% propane-1/2 -diol mix. Lets say we want to make 1 liter total. 1 liter = 1000 milliliters, 1% solution would be 990 milliliters of distilled water and 10 milliliters of the ebay product.. A 2% solution would be 980 milliliters of distilled water and 20 milliliters of the ebay product. 1000 milliliters is the same as 1 liter, and that is equal to 33.814 ounces, or half of a 2 liter bottle of soda. This was a easy way for me to answer your question. This amount one liter would make over 16 bottles of his solution that is sold at 2 ounces a bottle. If his specified formula is correct and you bought the ebay product, it would allow you to produce 176 of his 2 ounce bottles at the 2% mixture. You would only need to provide the distilled water. I imagine the spray bottle adds a significant cost to the 2 ounce bottle that he sells in all fairness.

Tommyboy and doak like this.
  18. All this talk of solution (in this or any other RCM thread) does my head in :D I throw in several capfuls of Spin Clean fluid (when I'd using something else besides just distilled water) and just have at it.

Grainger49 and macster like this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Might as well as it'll pretty much clean records just like other fluids do :)

I tried so many and basically they all clean records. My only qualifier for that would be that some records are pretty dirty and might need some extra steps. But if you're dealing with regular dirty, regular level of dirty, they all pretty much work.

Shawn likes this.
  20. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Yeah. London drugs also sells the fluid for $20 bucks a bottle with a new drying cloth - free delivery if you purchase $75 or more. Not too bad actually if you don't have a local dealer that stocks it. I ordered 5 bottles a few days ago.

21. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Now that I've been recleaning records (with my Kirmuss) that were previously cleaned with my now broken Audio Desk I'm seeing spiral hairlines on some records put there by the 4 cleaning pads on the Audio Desk. They don't affect play but I'm wondering if any Audio Desk owners out there have seen this? Love my Kirmuss.

22. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Anyone know if Kirmuss offers audio show discounts (I.e. when people buy them at audio shows)?

23. I received mine at a discount when I ordered one at Axpona this past April.

Drew769 likes this.
  24. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I had a huge success today with my Kirmuss! Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden is a torture test record for noisy vinyl. It's such a quiet record that surface noise can definitely be a distraction. Over the years I have cleaned my second copy of this album several times but I just couldn't get it to play quietly enough - even though it looked brand new. Well, today I gave it 5 minutes in the Kirmuss, a treatment of the surfactant and then a full 12 minute second round in the Kirmuss. I followed that up with a distilled water rinse and vacuume on my VPI Cyclone and it's now dead silent. Great machine!

patient_ot, rollo5, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  25. kr9

kr9 Active Member

This has been my experience - bought this on halloween and cannot be more impressed. Resurrected two dozen old LPs in my collection to the point where even records I thought had been damaged by tracking or stylus wear began to play in channels that had previously been dead. I have no scientific or empirical data to back up this observation of mine but that is my experience. I imagine it will pay for itself soon (1 year) and I can use it to clean pinball parts, circuit boards and jewelry? After using it I have ZERO buyers remorse at 999CDN.

Glad I stopped listening to your rhetoric after your 9th or 10th post. I almost didn't buy.