Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I lost my account at GMG due to inactivity :( They told me re-register but it's hard to participate knowing you're starting over. That might not make sense, but that's why I don't participate much there.

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Been living with a good bit of Beethoven today--the Goodyear set arrived in the mail while I was away for the weekend (ain't Amazon Prime Amazong?). Too early to make more than the most general of comments, but, to make the most general of comments, on the basis of first impressions--with one conspicuous exception, on which I'll elaborate when I have more of the set under my belt--of what I've played so far: wow. :love:

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Glad to hear it David! Sounds like you'll get a lot of wear out of your Goodyear set. ;)

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

:agree: :laugh:

5. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Beethoven - Piano Cto. No. 5 - "Emperor" - Movement 3 - the beginning

[​IMG]

Just to say, I think it is interesting the way the intro to Movement 3 is played. Some pianists choose almost a "glissando" approach over these notes, while others play much more articulated versions. I prefer a little bit slower tempo so that these notes can be strongly punctuated individually. (Note: I'm not a musician and have never studied music.)

Do you have a particular favorite version of this concerto, particularly the 3rd movement? I would like to listen to it if I can find it online (e.g., Spotify Premium, Youtube, etc.). I have the Perahia/Haitink on CD which I like.

6. George P

My favorite is Pollini/Boehm on DG.

Although Serkin/Bernstein are lovely too, especially in the second movement.

For a set of the 5 concertos, I like Serkin/Kubelik, Sherman/Neumann, and Backhaus/Schmidt-Isserstedt.

cdgenarian likes this.
  7. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Speaking of Beethoven, look what I just discovered! Anyone heard any of Andrew Hallifax's work? Looks like he did the transfers.

This set will be released in the USA on Friday.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Jed Distler told me a few months ago he would be doing the notes for this set. Looks tempting.

9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Interesting, never heard of him before.

Here is the other one coming out the same day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  10. George P

[​IMG]
    Yeah, I was going to post about that one but forgot. It has of the very first recording of the complete Chopin etudes. Also Mastered by Mark Obert thorn.

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

File this under "Difficult Listening"! He is Poland's first 12 tone composer, according to the notes. He doesn't seem to follow 12 tone structure rigorously, though: much of it sounds simply atonal. Picture a mix of Schoenberg/Berg/Boulez.

[​IMG]

12. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Well, of course, I started playing Pollini's 3rd Mvmt. (from the Beethoven Cto. 5) on Spotify Prem., and he sounds great. SP does have many of his recording, including the Bohm (Boehm) collaboration. I have been listening to "The Art of Maurizio Pollini" album and my initial thought was that he sounds very strong in a physical sense -- lots of forceful dynamics -- as well as quite clean and precise. I looked up his bio, and, lo and behold, he is still living (born 1942), even touring. The author of the short bio described his playing as "immaculate."

13. George P

Immaculate and strong are two words I would definitely use to describe him. I think when he is suited for a particular work (like Beethoven's 5th PC or the Hammerklavier sonata) he is something to behold. However, he plays a lot of music that to me doesn't suit him, like most Chopin, for example. I wish he'd play more modern stuff. This disc shows how good he can be, given the right repertoire:

[​IMG]

cdgenarian and Eigenvector like this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Friedrich Wuhrer in the first two mvts.--but then, apropos your request, he takes the 3d mvt. too slowly and spoils what would have been my ideal performance. For the entire piece, my favorite is Cor de Groot with Willem van Otterloo and the Hague PO, originally (in the US) on Epic and reissued on CD by Doremi.

cdgenarian likes this.
  15. George P

cdgenarian likes this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Fully agree about his Chopin--I've always found it brilliant but cold. And Chopin generally should not be cold!

Shifting gears, found out something (that I at least find) interesting today: Stewart Goodyear studied with Leon Fleisher at Curtis and was a participant in a big gala performance to celebrate Fleisher's return to two-handed playing. He also has a master's from Juilliard, and he composes as well as plays. Anybody here ever hear any of his compositions?

cdgenarian and George P like this.
  17. drh

drh Talking Machine

:tiphat:

cdgenarian and George P like this.
  18. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Kabalevsky/Khachaturian: VIOLIN CONCERTOS (David Oistrakh, conducted by the composers - Melodiya/Chant du Monde)

Contra the Raymond Chandler crack, I actually liked the Khachaturian somewhat, more than most of his other music I've heard; the Kabalevsky---supposedly Oistrakh's only recording of it, in very dry and boxy sound---much less so. Oistrakh is a lion, anyway.

Also finally finished the big Stravinsky/Columbia box. A real adventure and I was happy not to become weary of the repetitions.

hvbias and George P like this.
  19. George P

Sadly, that set has vanished from amazon.com. Hopefully it returns.

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Is this the disc you suggest?

[​IMG]

I see Wikipedia says he was the first Russian to record the WTC.

21. George P

Yes, that's the one, in the best mastering I have heard.

hvbias likes this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Very good. It may not displace HvK's, but I enjoy it. Excellent sound, if mastered at a lower than normal level.

[​IMG]

bruce2 likes this.
  23. George P

I recently was made aware of these superb Chopin recordings, unfortunately not available on CD.

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Nice, found a way to hear that disc in flac, will post what I think when I have fully digested it, I have just listened to around 5 preludes/fugues from Book 1. In between going through the Szell box (Beethoven, Mahler, Brahms, will listen to less favorite composers soon) I have played The Art of Fugue and Partita 2 from this Sokolov CD:

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  25. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Rachmaninov: LITURGY OF SAINT JOHN CHRYSOSTOM
    (Kansas City Chorale, cond. Charles Bruffy - Nimbus, 2cd, 1996)

Prompted by a friend, I got this down from the bookcase. It's crazy how long this was languishing on my shelf, never opened....years. It is amazing. Not the first time I have heard this piece, but the performance and recording are incredible. You will not be in Kansas anymore. It does make me want to seek out a Russian ensemble for this music, just in case.

Oddly enough, I have seen the cover art in apparently two different versions, with different spellings of Rachmaninov's name, neither of them the (Anglicized?) spelling I've become accustomed to.

[​IMG]