Taschen Books

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'd like a book consisting of Gino Boccasile's posters.

2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I have a H R Giger postcard book and a few other of his collections on Taschen. Probably around 5 books of his work.

'1000 Dessous' (a history of female underwear and lingerie through the ages).

I also have Eric Krolls 'Fetish Girls' by Taschen

I was fortunate enough to buy a lot of the early 'Erotic Print Societies' books many years ago as all first editions.

They are worth a small fortune now. I like to keep them on my bookshelf. It's fun to watch people's eyebrows furrow as they peruse the books.

JackBnimble likes this.
  3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

4. Speaking of Eric Kroll and Taschen, I have their Complete Reprint of John Willie's "Bizarre" box set, for which Kroll wrote the foreward. The books are a bit small, which reflects the size of the originals I gather. In today's "anything goes" environment it's interesting to look back at a BDSM/fetish mag from the 1940's-'50s like this, and how gingerly they had to address their subject matter in order to get away with it...

daglesj likes this.
  5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have loads of Taschen books, and always stop in whenever I'm in the vicinity of one of their stores. They also have fabulous sales each year selling overstock and the demo books at huge discounts. About 7 years ago I was working in Miami and bought around $600 in books as marked for just over $100 at the Lincoln Road Mall shop, quite the deal.

6. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I have a few of their books. The last one I received was Kay Nielsen 1001 Nights.

[​IMG]

stereoptic likes this.
  7. I have around 100 Taschen titles and have never been disappointed. Always good value for money.

Scope J likes this.
  8. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident Thread Starter

9. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I waited 3 years until I was able to buy it in person, as they don't ship to my country. It's a huge book!

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

My uncle, may he rest in piece, was a total book freak. He sent me many nice titles, various by Taschen. I've digested them and moved them on mostly, to free up space, but they were great at the time. For him, it turned into an out-of-control hoarding thing (piles on the floor, covered a window with bookcasing) yet at least he derived a lot of pleasure from them.

Gill-man likes this.
  11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Wait, say what? I like that recording, but this CD is redone by Vangelis? Is it available separately? Streamable?

12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I have the Rolling Stones book, and the Taxi Driver set stills. Got them when they were on sale and too good of deals to pass up. I love having them on my shelf.

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Not redone - completely new. I know, totally weird. :D

I have no idea if it's streamable. I think it's only available in the box. I could be wrong.

By the way, I was going to "Start a Conversation" with you, but for some reason the option is not available on your profile.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

That's because I'm not conversant. :p
    No, that's odd, no idea why that is.

15. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

An auction house I used to shoot for had a first edition like that come in at one point. It goes for a pretty penny, as I'm sure you know. I have my sights on the $100 version.

I've got one of Ellen von Unwerth's Taschen books. They do great work.

Steidl is another high end publisher of art and photography books. I have a couple of Paolo Roversi's books by them that I picked up off ebay relatively inexpensively. Fortunately, as a photographer, these are all a business expense, but I still can't let myself get too carried away, heh.

Electric and Mazzy like this.
  16. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I have a Taschen book of HST's Curse of Lono. The only problem is one of my kids thought it was ok to use as a coloring book and added her own drawings to it. Oh well.

Panama Hotel and Matt Richardson like this.
  17. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Yes, I like Steidl, too. Been considering their LE box of Balthus photos before it goes OOP. Would be a deduction for me, as well. I'm a painter. But wondering if I'm getting carried away. I love books.

Solaris likes this.
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I don't own any, but I'm familiar with them and will flip through them if I see them.

19. Electric

20. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I was just at Barnes & Noble this afternoon and they had a table display of small format Taschen books, each priced at $14.99. I might grab a few of these. Today I bought one called 100 Manga Artists. There's also one on Michelangelo. I was in a bit of rush to take this pic otherwise I would've tried to get it all in - there's a few off to the right I'm missing and can't remember what they are...

[​IMG]

21. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have the same book also unopened from the sale on Amazon.

22. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

I have The Kubrick Archives first edition. Caravaggio XXL. Michelangelo XL. I ordered Bruegel XXL.

23. Electric

My XXL Basquiat shipped!

24. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

[​IMG]

Really looking forward to this book, but it’s been delayed until late January!

25. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan Red hot funkster

I'm curious if anyone has purchased the Taschen book stand ? I have an number of heavy and expensive art books which I'd love to read without damaging the spine while sitting on my lap. The book stand seems like a good solution but I can't confirm if the "wings" are adjustable (ie that they can close-inwards or flatten out) to suit the dimensions of whatever book is being supported. Can anyone help ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.