Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jul 3, 2018.

1. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I really wish he'd drop the Lennon lead vocal Beatles songs. I mean.....I'd rather hear "Hold Me Tight" than "From Me To You" for example. I wonder if he'll ever perform the few remaining Beatles songs that he actually sang lead on, that have never been performed live before. At least while he still can.

2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I wish he would take advantage of the upcoming Wings reissues and add at least one song from Wild Life and one from Red Rose Speedway to his setlist.

My choices would be "Tomorrow" and "Big Barn Bed". I think he can still sing them relatively well, unlike other songs that I wish he would perform ("Wild Life" for example) but are probably no longer reasonable choices.

3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

There is zero chance he could do vocal justice to Tomorrow today. It is very high-pitched (up in the Maybe I'm Amazed area) and never really comes down, and I can't see him hitting mark during the jumping around notes like "holding hands we both abandon sorrow." It's more intricate than he's able to pull off IMO.

I actually think he could do a better job with Wild Life. He can talk through most of it as he's wont to do, and he seems better with shouty things than melodic things these days.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

I Don't know... Fans want to see Paul playing new songs.

5. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

I agree (and disagree), but many fans are asking why Paul is not playing more Egypt Station's songs for example. Many fans don't know how many wonderful songs he has because he is not playing them. But Paul thinks fans want the "hits" or The Beatles' songs and his setlist is proof of that.

vitorbastos123, Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  6. Re: the often requested Wings/solo McCartney only concert proposals- My only slightest hopes for this exists in the form of a studio, small gathering concert - filmed and recorded for preservation.

Below is a shining example of what this would look like, as you view “How Kind of You. “

I’m concerned that the window for this type of quality performance is way long gone;
    Plus, I hear him referencing more of late , of the difficulty of remembering songs from his catalogue and re-learning them.

Besides touring his familiar concert set lists, I think any “juice” he has left remains for EITHER writing and recording new songs - or deep diving into his catalogue and re-learning them for live performances. Not both.
    I believe he has made his choice and - if we can’t hve both - I agree with it.

7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

A wonderful performance; it would have been fantastic to see them play the entire 'Chaos' album.

8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

A few here and there, but not enough to notice. The Market decides.

9. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Well, we can all point to a song or group of songs he has done and wish we could swap them. Personally, I do not care for Temporary Secretary. Love Me Do is fine but I can think of many Beatle songs I would rather hear.

But I have seen Paul 5 times and the sum of it all is always outstanding.

The Band likes this.
  10. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Which is why comparing McCartney to Neil Young's approach to live performance is a bit of an apples/oranges comparison. Neil has never cared that much about being a "crowd pleaser" (that seems like an understatement!) and ironically his fans know it- although to be fair Neil has almost as many "done to death" songs as Paul does. I mean, does the world really need another rendition of "The Needle And The Damage Done" or "Let It Be", regardless of the personal significance the songs have for their authors? Although Neil is wont to bust out obscure deep cuts -if not outright unreleased material- to an extent that McCartney would never even dream of doing.
    I'd be brazen to say that ship has already sailed. Picture McCartney trying to sing, for example, "Oh Darling" at this late date...probably the one hitherto unplayed Beatles song I would have loved for him to bust out...ten or fifteen years ago, maybe.

12. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

The Band, jazon, San and 9 others like this.
  13. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

The Band, theMess and raphph like this.
  14. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Still calling it the "Freshen Up" tour, are they?

So I take it, he has a newer deodorant on the market.

15. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Nobody (else) wants to hear Hold Me Tight!

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I want to hear Love Me Do.:cool:

I could easily do without:

In Spite Of All The Danger
    I've Just Seen A Face
    Blackbird
    Here Today
    Something
    Golden Slumbers
    Let Me Roll It

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  17. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I think Paul's recent setlists have been excellent. Sure, there's a song here or there that I wish he's add or delete (no "Jet" at the last show I attended (damn...), but for a catalogue that spreads out over 60 years, I think he does pretty well.

JoeRockhead and adm62 like this.
  18. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

raphph likes this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

theMess and raphph like this.
  20. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

very kind thanks - I just take them so I and other fans can enjoy

21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Francisx, raphph and theMess like this.
  22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It is shocking to me that he never performed 'Oh! Darling' live; can you imagine him singing it alongside 'Call Me Back Again' on the 1976 tour, with that vocal power!

The Band, Who Cares and susyredstripe like this.
  23. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Thanks a lot for sharing. Dude looks cool in every photo.

Did he ever take a drink of water there?

Have you ever taken a photo of him drinking water?

raphph likes this.
  24. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

I've only seen him drinking something during a soundcheck. (not at ACL)

25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Absolutely wrong! I would love to hear McCartney rock through the Beatles Hold Me Tight! I'd even like for him to perform the Wings song Hold Me Tight!

That's the problem, his set list doesn't come close to representing his 60 year career!