Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

C&W fans take note -> There are a number of HiRes C&W and Bluegrass items on HDTracks. 96 and 192.

2. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

What was the verdict on the Hendrix Axis SACD? DR doesn't look that great compared to my 1985 Reprise.
    Different note. Anyone have Laura Nyro Eli SACD? On sale at Music Direct for $19

3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It's an overall DR of 10 compared to a 12 on the Reprise CD, so it's not that bad. On the various Axis threads (I read 2 or 3 of them) dedicated to the new SACD, the majority thinks it sounds great for the stereo, perhaps best ever for the mono (save perhaps an original UK LP?). A minority prefer the Marino 2010 AAA version over the SACD. The AAA LP is a darker presentation overall. Bernie Grundman opted to lose some of the darkness to provide some extra musical detail (which again, a minority feel has too much emphasis on the treble compared to the Marino AAA LP). I didn't read a single person that thought the orginal Reprise CD bests the stereo on the new SACD.

4. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Forum Resident

hmmm. don’t agree..i like most of them...

5. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Keep in mind I was talking about the technical side, not the quality of songs etc. All other Bowie SACDs I heard, are heavily over-compressed and nothing above 20kHz - I don't see the advantage over the CD here.

6. Anodyne Jones

..actually i referring to sound quality...i carefully compared Heathen and Reality to the CDs and the SACDs were far more musical to my ears...I also think Let’s Dance SACD sounds terrific..

7. owsley

owsley Senior Member

FYI, I recently discovered that the high-res release of the Who's A Quick One has several all new remixes, not available elsewhere AFAIK except maybe Itunes.
    Batman, BucketT - vocals in wide stereo
    Man With Money, MyGen/Land Of Hope And Glory - all new remixes and they're both awesome!

Other people have posted elsewhere that the high-res Stereo Sell Out also has a handful of new remixes exclusive to HD

tdavis0903 likes this.
  8. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

And of course the best one (which you left out) is Kinks Village Green $14.38 24/48.

Anodyne Jones likes this.
  9. youngcortez

youngcortez Well-Known Member

Curious where you found that price... I'm getting $15.28 after a 15% promo code. I have the 3CD set from 2004, but may pick up the 24/48.

10. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Well... let's agree to disagree. Maybe I'm more sensitive to brickwalling, but to my ears they're fatiguing and not using the potential of a SACD - just like the CDs. Especially "Heathen" was a big disappointment, looked to me like the CD tr

But "Let's Dance" is miles ahead of the (remastered) CD - that's what you can expect from a direct tape transfer.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  11. Anodyne Jones

Agree totally on Dance.

When I compared Heathen and Reality I paid particular attention to the acoustic guitars and backing vocals and they sounded way more real to me.

I was decoding on a Simaudio 380D DAC btw. And I also noticed SACDs were quiter in output/had more DR.

I have not listened to my Ziggy SACD in a while but don't remember being disappointed.

12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

His post-hours records sound awful. Harsh EQ and very compressed. I like Heathen and love The Next Day and Blackstar, but they're unpleasant listens. Harsh, clipped, fatiguing affairs.

James Bennett and Vandenville like this.
  13. Anodyne Jones

Agree, on Next Day...less on Blackstar, and completely disagree on Heathen.

14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I don't think it's a marketing move.

I assume most of the Bowie recordings from this point will have been touched by low-res digital recording or mixing?

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

A little throwback comparison of U2's Achtung Baby.

The original CD (Island Records 262 110) vs. the 2011 44/24 "remastered" (slightly EQ'ed) re-release.

Overall the 2011 version is ever so slightly louder and compressed, but it also has a more balanced sound thanks to a deeper bass thump.

So tracks benefits. Others do not.

1. Zoo Station = CD
    2. Even Better Than The Real Thing = CD
    3. One = HD
    4. Until The End Of The World = HD
    5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses = HD
    6. So Cruel = HD
    7. The Fly = CD
    8. Mysterious Ways = CD
    9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World = HD
    10. Ultra Violet (Light My Way) = CD
    11. Acrobat = CD
    12. Love Is Blindness = HD

Right down the middle. :)

Amazingly, the singles on the HD Deluxe Edition are more dynamic and less bright than on the original CD singles (including Salomé and Lady With The Spinning Head)

I'm keeping the HD version.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    JeffMo likes this.
  16. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I have the 2 November Dylan release pre ordered from amazon.

I’d prefer HD Tracks.

Anyone know if they’ll have it or when?

I emailed and was told to go to their Facebook page.

Nothing there.

17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

There’s definitely going to be a Hi Res release of the full boxset and the single disc release. Qobuz have 24/96 listed for both

Lars1966 likes this.
  18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

For the past few Bootleg releases, I've waited until release day and each time HDTracks had them available.

NYMets41 and Anodyne Jones like this.
  19. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Anyone here get the Grateful Dead Pacific Northwest download? I wondering what the DR is? I bought the box version.

20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I compared some like tracks from the compilation cd, see below, mostly from 6/22/73, but I don’t know if the box is the same as the compilation. Listening it’s about the same difference as Cornell, depends on your taste more than one better.

NYMets41 likes this.
  21. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Thank you!

NYMets41 likes this.
  22. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I'm sorry if this has been asked, I did search, but are the Springsteen albums from HDTracks very good? I'm thinking about buying Born To Run, Born in the USA and Nebraska. Just wondering if the sound is up to par with the great Petty and Who albums I've bought.

23. Anodyne Jones

Personally, I think the are excellent. Or let's put it this way..far better than any previous digital version.

24. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Thanks a ton, was hoping they sounded good, gonna give them a shot! Thanks again!:righton:

art and Anodyne Jones like this.
  25. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

The sound is pretty good on the Bruce hi-res albums you mentioned - worth getting. I wouldn't say they are up there with the Tom Petty releases, which are great and everything you could want from a hi-res reissue. Just my opinion though.

ccbarr and J_D__ like this.