The Who's Tommy, Quadrophenia films and The Kids Are Alright versions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ash006, Oct 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash006

ash006 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I have ordered the DVD Criterion Quadrophenia, but what is the best home video version of Tommy? I also know that the 2009 two-disc DVD of TKAA is favoured, but I would like to hear everyone's opinions on the various versions of these and which are the best!

Also, why on earth are these not available on streaming services? I'm in Canada and none of em are on Netflix...

2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

There is also a 2 DVD of Tommy with a disc of extras /interviews mostly released about 15 years ago with a remastered print and 5.1 surround audio track.
    But it's still hard to enjoy the film.

I have never seen TKAA on UK terrestrial TV since its release in '79.
    It's has done very well over the years in home video/dvd sales so maybe that's why it's not available for streaming/TV.

Jack Lord likes this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm sure I read somewhere that the last version of TKAA is the only one to run at the right speed, as all previous versions had been sped up to reduce the running time at the cinema?

4. ash006

Woah seriously? Is that the 2009 twodisc?

5. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

The bluray of Tommy has the original Quadrophonic soubdtrack in addition to the 5.1. To go with anything less is madness.

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Fun fact, I did a little digging and apparently Tommy has a rare Quintaphonic soundtrack with a center channel comprised of "mostly vocals and primary non-surround sound effects". I don't have any great love for the Tommy movie but that sounds like it'd be a great listen :D

7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

It is. I enjoy the quad mix...and Ann rolling around in beans.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Here's the story. John Entwistle went and made some trims before the movie was shown in Europe (I know a good chunk of "A Quick One" went but I forget the other cuts made). Then this version was time compressed for a later VHS release (or was it a PAL to NTSC issue?)

Apart from the CED laserdisc, the full version didn't reach these shores until Pioneer did their DVD and I believe the same HD master was recycled for the Bluray (although I believe "A Quick One" isn't cropped for widescreen on the Blu).

However, as the Blu is out of print I'd grab the two disc Pioneer DVD.

Jim B. likes this.
  9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

For Tommy, I'd grab the current BluRay.

genesim likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I saw it twice in a very large theater when released and it advertised itself as having the correct audio setup for the movie. Oh man, did they!
    I went first half messed up and went back to see it sober just to get everything out of that mix.

Jimmy B. and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Criterion also has a bluray of Quadrophenia. It would seem to me that this is the way to go as well.

SonicZone and Larry Geller like this.
  12. ash006

As I say I do have the Quad Criterion DVD, and while the Tommy Bluray recommend is appreciated, does it have a DVD counterpart? I ask because as it stands my only Bluray machine is still a PS3 whereas just about every game console, computer and well, DVD recorder I own can play DVDs. I like compatibility.

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The old Sony flipper DVD shouldn't be hard to find unless you really want to go crazy and get the Superbit version.

14. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

I don't think John made the trims. EMI, who released it in the UK, probably did, possibly for TV. This is (I think!) the version that New World released in the states.

The two disk KIDS on DVD is great as it comes with a nice booklet, several "multi-angle" performances from Shepperton, and various other extras. "A Quick One" is cropped though. The Blu-Ray features HD sound and an uncropped "Quick One", but has no other special features. It did come with the booklet though.

While the DVD and Blu-Ray corrected numerous pitch problems relating to PAL speedup, I still hold that "A Quick One" is running at the wrong speed. I think the version on the soundtrack CD is correct. The video versions, while at the correct pitch, are about 4% too slow tempo-wise.

15. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

My old early UK 1980's VHS was by a company called Channel 5.
    They did the other Who films also.
    Notable cuts were the first part of AQO.It came in at the Dang,Dang,Dang,Dang section.
    Also missing were the last 4 interview sections in between My Generation {Monterey] and WGFA Shepperton.
    WGFA cut in pretty quickly after Monterey too.

I don't know if you ever noticed but on the multi angle ending of WGFA they cut in different footage from one of the other takes of the ending.
    It's noticeable if you make your own 4 angle version on 1 screen to see where band members are at all times.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I'm surprised Roger hasn't pushed through some sort of 'Special Edition' of McVicar yet.
    Only a normal DVD available worldwide with no extras.
    A 'making of' and the promo videos wouldn't go amiss on it.

Jack Lord likes this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

We got the full version theatrically.

18. ash006

Is that what's considered going crazy? I have seen Superbit Tommy for as little as $7.

Ah yes forgot about McVicar, are there not a lot of DVDs about of it?

19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I'm sure the basic DVD won't be hard to find.
    Whilst I like the film I'm not looking to buy it until they make something more of the package.

20. ash006

Do ya think they ever will?

21. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I have to say no.
    I think the film was more of a UK success than ROW.
    So they (Roger/Trinifold) probably figure it wouldn't recoup the costs of remastering it.

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Sorry, I was going by prices on Amazon. If you can find that, go for it.

ash006 likes this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I hate that they time corrected Keith on the Shepperton stuff for this DVD. Drives me nuts.

24. ash006

Corrected how so?

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'll say better synchronization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.