SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

How is it a scam? I can't recall anything on the stickers on sealed 180g albums that claim they sound better. They only state that the records are 180g.
    My experience is the same as above.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not a scam, just more vinyl compound used. If heated it will warp, like any other record. To me it just "is."

Aftermath and showtaper like this.
  3. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Mr Hoffman have you ever heard any of the following Mastertapes from Talk Talk, Spirit of eden, laughing Stock or the mark hollis solo album?

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s a scam to the extent the industry has piggybacked on heavy vinyl as way to create and justify a more expensive - and more importantly, higher profit margin - product which offers no discernable benefit to the consumer.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yes, please...but if possible please restore the missing chorus of The Actor that was cut for time constraints!

dav-here and SteveMac like this.
  6. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

I’ve read on here that “Revolver” on CD is out of phase? Could it sound better?
    Is UK vinyl the only way to hear it as intended?
    Can it be “fixed” using software?
    Thank you.

7. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

I always thought the premise of this was so none of the grooves ever came into contact with your (presumably) dirty, dusty turntable mat.

dav-here likes this.
  8. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

A lot of 180g records are labelled as 'audiophile quality', which to me is a claim of having better sound.

Derek Gee, john lennonist and Bertly like this.
  9. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I guess that's true that that implies better sound but legally and strictly speaking maybe not.
    Anyway, no one is forced to spend their money on them.
    I like the feel of a heavy record, but as I stated before I haven't found them to sound better (or worse) in general than lighter records.

10. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I'm wondering if the 220 gram pressings from the UHQR MOFI series, which resulted in a complete flat surface from lead groove to lead out groove, has an effect on the sound. I believe the new UHQR's coming from AP will copy this same type of "flat" pressing. For those that don't know what I speak of, research the old UHQR vinyl profile.

dav-here likes this.
  11. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I've heard that the guy doing the plane announcements on "Next Plane to London" is Steve Martin. True?

12. Steve Hoffman

No idea, but I'm sure the song is on YouTube. Give a listen.

13. Steve Hoffman

It's not out of phase at all, just indifferently mastered. Thing needs much work in that respect. Try the mono for the best REVOLVER experience.

pdenny, somnar, John Hatter and 3 others like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Nope.

15. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

Steve,
    What's the main difference(s) or thing(s) that should be done when mastering to vinyl versus c.d.?
    And, should they be done every time?
    Thx.

16. Steve Hoffman

As I've written above (and many times before), I personally master records and digital exactly the same. There is literally no reason to do it any other way.

dav-here, g.z., showtaper and 6 others like this.
  17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Then I was curious if there was a reason why 'Stadium Arcadium' and 'Elecrtric a Music for the Mind and Body' also did not get a CD version of your Matering Job you did for the Vinyl? Or was this strictly a decision by others?
    Thanks

18. Steve Hoffman

Others.

19. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

Steve, does the fact that you are a mastering engineer take away any of the enjoyment you may have had regarding listening to music? For example, if you are at a friend's place and they put on a subpar mastering of a cd on a very modest system, does it take away your enjoyment knowing that it may not sound very good? For that matter, even listening to FM radio in a car? Because of what you do, are you bothered or get less enjoyment in these situations?

I can liken it to a hockey (or any sports) coach. Many cannot simply sit back and enjoy the hockey game that they may be watching on tv. They are constantly looking for details, ie, why did that coach put that player on at that time, why are they playing the neutral zone trap, etc?

Kinda ignorance is bliss kind of thing.

20. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

It wasn't my doing, but my 20-year0old son is totally into classic rock and has no use for whatever is popular with his age group now. Of course I'm delighted. He knows all about you because I often play him your works. He gets it!
    So, what kind of music are your kids (I think I recall you have two) and wife into, and have you been a big influence?

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks, I was typing on my iPad and was also distracted by another person as I was typing, so that was the reason for the mistakes in the CJ & the Fish Album Title and a few other Spelling mistakes. Wish the Band or Label would also ask you & KG to do a Remaster for 'Californication'(CD & Vinyl).

22. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Are high resolution downloads with very high sample rates such as 192KHz a scam?

2trackmind likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

no, I don't let it interfere with my music enjoyment. I can juggle both worlds.

Bananas&blow, dav-here, g.z. and 3 others like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Three kids, into all eras, just like me.

Jfkaess, g.z., RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Well, since there is no tracing back to the source material, and since we have no idea who is doing the mastering work, I would be very careful.