Stereolab - new vinyl press

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronica S2A, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Nobody I know has ever experienced it. But I got rid of my pvc years go. Just in case. The biggest problem are pvc sleeves that have parts of the artwork printed upon them. That sucks and these are the ones I've kept. But isloated from the rest.

2. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Well, this thread got me to buy Simple Headphone Mind and I’ve expanded my Switched On, Vol. 4. It’s nice to re-contextualize and revisit this material with fresh ears. I did the vinyl transfer of the “Underground” EP when it was new, then kept adding subsequent Tour Singles. It eventually morphed into an album-length CDR.

That first Yeti book (and disc) was given to me by the publisher at a party on Saturday, September 8, 2001. It was a great party with interesting musicians and artists. 9/11 was three days later and for a long time, I remembered that party as the last normal/happy thing that I experienced in New York City. That connection will always stick with me. Those two tracks sound like Tim Gane electro-demos and always felt like a coda to this collection of material.

St. Elmo's Fire sounds apiece, with Lætitia is singing. Simple Headphone Mind fits-in well, there are a lot of other instrumental pieces on this round-up.

This would make for a swell double-LP (Tim? Tim?).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    team2, Machiventa, Summerisle and 5 others like this.
  3. Bronica S2A

Bronica S2A Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got the clear set of Aluminum Tunes; if my eyes aren't fooling me, I think they may have an aluminum tint... I've taken a picture, but I've forgotten how to enter a photo in a thread.

4. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

My Aluminium Tunes also seems to be perfumed! Is it possible that Laetitia rubbed up against it before putting it in the post? Either way it sounds fabulous.

rancher, John Bliss and Jerry James like this.
  5. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Can we get a Schema vinyl reissue sometime soon? Im hoping now with Stereolab doing vinyl reissues, maybe that related project will see a reissue, even if it's an RSD release or something.

Machiventa likes this.
  6. Neonbeam

After they showed up at a local store, I got "Refried". The covers are all looking very good, "Aluminium Tunes" does have a strange smell indeed - couldn't resist to check it out - but the pvc was smelling even stronger. Ditched mine immediately. Is Tim planning to house all future Lab reissues in pvc? Nnnnnnice! :evil:

Can't wait to spin it, since it's a comp anyway, a well done reissue is great. Might get "Switched On" as well.

7. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Does anyone have info on the Peng and Groop Played Space Age Batchelor Pad Music clear vinyl represses coming soon? I didn't hear good things about the last Too Pure represses, will these be more of the same?

gomen ne and John Bliss like this.
  8. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

They've been remastered by Calyx in Berlin, who did the recent 'Switched On' re-issues and I think also the Cavern of Anti-Matter albums. I don't know more than that!

gomen ne, Machiventa and Dolemite like this.
  9. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

This is GOOD news

DrewMeyer and hamicle like this.
  10. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Agreed, very excited about these now

Neonbeam likes this.
  11. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

My original Aluminum Tunes also smells great! I've always thought that - kind of 'new' smelling - whatever ink or whatever they used!

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Just listened to the new "Refried Electroplasm" and it's great! The artwork, the mastering, the pressing; if Tim Gane manages to get the albums out there, in that quality, ace!

Frankly, this would deserve a little bit of publicity. (Except for those pvc outers)

So far: :righton: :righton::righton:Especially after these 1972 reissues...

13. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Agreed. Just pre-ordered ‘The Groop Played....’. Can’t wait.

Did anyone get the vinyl set with the the poster - how is the poster? I want one!

14. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Does anyone know if Dots And Loops is in the works?

15. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I love this idea, let's just agree that she did!

16. Neonbeam

Since these - apparently - are coming in chronological order, it might be part of the next batch - "Transient", "Mars", "Emperor" & "Dots" - or (if they only do two at a time) the one after it. So probably early 2019?

Machiventa likes this.
  17. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

That would be great. BTW what software is that?

18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

It's just the display from an old version of iTunes. I cropped the surround.

19. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I have the 1999 Too Pure LP reissue of Switched On. I notice a fair degree of sibilance on some of the tracks - for example, the vocals on Au Grand Jour'. Does anyone else with this version find - or not find - the same? Can anyone compare with the new LP reissue? I am not claiming to have the expertise for detailed A/B comparisons but have compared it with the two CD versions (Slumberland 1992 and 2018) I have. With the track Au Grand Jour' - there is some siblience on the both CDs but perhaps not to the same extent as on my LP. As I say, I'm not an expert and lurch into the area of SQ discussion with some trepidation!

I have the new Switched On set on CD and have Refried Ectoplasm LP on order based on positive comments here. I'm hoping for a good result when it finally arrives!

20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I did not notice any sibilance on the 2018 LP of vol 1. Au Grand Jour is basically the centerpiece of the album and it sounded great to me

Two more titles out today. I will be picking up this weekend.

John Bliss and GordonM like this.
  21. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

My copy of 'The Group Played....' arrived today - remastered by BO@Calyx on the back, these are coming out through Too Pure (and it is on clear vinyl). No PVC cover this time - just cellophane!
    Will give it a spin this weekend and let you know how it sounds!

John Bliss, jupiter8 and Echoes Myron like this.
  22. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Waiting on Amoeba LA to open so I can buy Groop Played and listen to it for an hour before work. Will update with sound quality when I get it

mishima's dog likes this.
  23. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Spinning now, initially impressions are very good. Dead quiet pressing with great mastering. Cover looks very good and close to an original and the clear vinyl is very attractive. Holding out hopes for a full discography reissue at this same quality

24. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Let us know about the second "We're Not Adult Orientated" (Neu Wave Live) ... I always thought that one had a fuzzy, cluttered sound, hopefully it has improved as it is a awesome tune

Echoes Myron likes this.
  25. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Just skipped to it for you and to my ears it sounds great. Never heard an original to compare it to but it sounds clean and open on this release. According to the liner notes it was recorded live in the studio so I would expect some fuzziness and clutter but it sounds good to me. I should also mention there are liner notes detailing each song and mine did not include a download card (it wasn’t advertised but I thought i would mention it)

gomen ne and Neonbeam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.