The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Stumbled upon this album by accident today and just can't stop grinning.

2. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

Hi Robit :)
    if you like piano duet improvisations, there is another interesting album, The Meeting by the great Friedrich Gulda and Chick Corea:

[​IMG]

Gulda is one of my favorite pianists, both in classical and jazz music. ;)

Bobby Buckshot and Robitjazz like this.
  3. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Hi Jazzicalit! :) I own a classical album by Gulda who plays two of the most famous concerts for piano and orchestra by Mozart (nos. 20 and 21). I have seen him at the Italian television (satellite pay TV) playing and improvising with Herbie Hancock as piano duet.
    Gulda is a great example of a complete musician who unites classical and jazz like Andre Previn and John Lewis.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Jazzicalit likes this.
  4. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

:righton: I agree! And he was an absolute genius, and an unpredictable, eccentric man. I like a lot also his album At Birdland :)

[​IMG]

look at the musicians in his band...

5. [​IMG]

The Tokyo Blues - The Horace Silver Quintet (Blue Note) CD
    with
    Horace Silver (piano), Blue Mitchell (trumpet), Junior Cook (tenor sax), Gene Taylor (bass), John Harris Jr. (drums)

Recorded over two days in July, 1962.

*There are two errors on the back cover of this particular (cardboard sleeve) CD edition - The Tokyo Blues is listed as The Tokio Blues in the track listing, and again in the title across the top of the sleeve!
    ** The title printed on the disc itself is also The Tokio Blues.
    *** According to wiki - Tokio may refer to: Tokyo (東京, Tōkyō), the capital of Japan, used primarily in non-English speaking countries.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

"Tokio" is the German and Dutch spelling.

Jackie P likes this.
  7. Italian too! The CD was made in Italy (Italia on the sleeve).

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't want to offend anyone, but in my experience (I've been to Italy several times) not many Italians speak a foreign language, that's probably why they used the Italian spelling.

9. The spinning of the Silver discs continues!

[​IMG]

Silver's Serenade - The Horace Silver Quintet (Blue Note) CD
    with
    Horace Silver (piano), Blue Mitchell (trumpet), Junior Cook (tenor sax), Gene Taylor (bass), Roy Brooks (drums)

Recorded over two days in 1963. CD remastered by Ron McMaster

Another notable album from Horace Silver, and another one I am well pleased to eventually get hold of.

+

[​IMG]

Further Explorations By The
    Horace Silver Quintet (Blue Note) CD
    with
    Art Farmer (trumpet), Clifford Jordan (tenor sax), Horace Silver (piano), Teddy Kotick (bass), Louis Hayes (drums)

Recorded 1958.

Seems like there is no end to this fine run of albums from Mr. Silver!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  10. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Horace Silver and The Jazz Messengers (1956) I have a 24/192 file from the Blue Note (Astell&Kern 75th Anniversary Box Set) which has a very definite analog quality to it.

[​IMG]

xybert, BKphoto, Marzz and 11 others like this.
  11. ALL 5 Horace Silver I have listened to over the past day or two are from this exceptionally good value 5CD box set -

[​IMG]

5 ORIGINAL ALBUMS - HORACE SILVER (Blue Note) 5CD

Made in the EU / Universal Music Italia

I already had stand alone editions of Doin' The Thing & Further Explorations and needed to get hold of the other three titles so this budget box fitted the bill perfectly.

The sound on all discs is superb. There are no sleeve notes or booklet and as long as you don't mind a few errors like some inaccurate recording dates and the fact that all individual replica cardboard sleeves have a thin gray/green band round the edge (no big deal) this release will not disappoint.

All things considered I have no hesitation recommending this recent release to anyone missing out on any of these titles.

[​IMG]

BKphoto, Marzz, frightwigwam and 8 others like this.
  12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Storyville Records STCD 8278) 1997 .... recorded December 29th, 1975 @ Rosenberg Studio Copenhagen, Denmark .... Warne Marsh (ts) + Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (b) + Al Levitt (dr) .... cool toned Warne Marsh utterly blossoms in this sparse setting and Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen is an undeniable force throughout .... not to be missed - should be shouted from the rooftops ....

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They're all gone now, sadly.

14. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

I saw them at the Warwick Arts Centre this week, and as usual it was a great performance from Tord and his band.

I prefer their live performances to their studio recordings - live they seem to be a bit more robust. I'll just have to hope that ECM release a live album.

Berthold, MagicAlex and Voltaire like this.
  15. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Looks like a great set. Did you say there was info on who mastered each disc? I am curious to know if this set is all Ron McMaster-ed or if there are any RVGs? I noticed a few you listed said McMaster.

16. Doin' The Thing - 2006 RVG Remaster
    The Cape Verdean Blues - Ron McMaster
    The Tokyo Blues - no info
    Silver's Serenade - 20 Bit | Ron McMaster
    Further Explorations - Ron McMaster (but I reckon it may be a 2007 RVG plus they have given inaccurate recording details on the back of this particular one)

MagicAlex and fatwad666 like this.
  17. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game
    Blue Note (1961)
    TOCJ-66075
    Blue Note Records Presents The Lost Sessions

Tenor Saxophone – Tina Brooks
    Trumpet – Johnny Coles
    Piano – Kenny Drew
    Bass – Wilbur Ware
    Drums – Philly Joe Jones

[​IMG]

18. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Jealous! I haven't seen any US tour dates scheduled but hoping they make it this way!

ciderglider likes this.
  19. [​IMG]

Jukebox Ella | The Complete Verve Singles Volume 1 - Ella Fitzgerald (Verve) 2CD

Recorded 1956-1967

It has been too long since I treated myself to some Ella.

[​IMG]

20. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD hat Art "hat JAZZ series" hat ART CD 6063) 1990 .... recorded September + October 1969, @ Herrick Chapel Lounge Occidental College, Los Angeles .... Warne Marsh (ts) + Gary Foster (as) + Dave Parlato (b) + John Tirabasso (dr) .... telepathic interplay between Warne Marsh + Gary Foster and Dave Parlato certainly is a helluva bass player .... indispensable music ....

P.S Nowadays available via this editon (hatOLOGY 603) :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    xybert, Marzz, Jackie P and 4 others like this.
  21. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Prestige Victor Japan "Prestige Jazz Masterpiece Series" SMJ-6533) 1976 .... classic recording ....

22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

If Miles Smiles is my favourite "acoustic" Miles Davis album, Steamin' is a very close second.

mktracy likes this.
  23. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

McCoy Tyner - Expansions
    Blue Note (1969)
    TYCJ-81069
    BN Masterworks Series

Piano – McCoy Tyner
    Trumpet – Woody Shaw
    Tenor Saxophone – Wayne Shorter
    Alto Saxophone – Gary Bartz
    Bass – Herbie Lewis
    Cello – Ron Carter
    Drums – Freddie Waits

[​IMG]

xybert, BKphoto, Marzz and 10 others like this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

25. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Prestige Victor Japan "Prestige Jazz Masterpiece Series" SMJ-6532(M)) 1976 .... more "First Quintet" magic .... guaranteed ....