50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

You need to let this fallacy that these are errors go. Just because you don’t like certain differences, doesn’t make them an error.

Shaddam IV, tinnox and Bern like this.
  2. Bern

Bern JC4Me

If you want it to sound exactly the same..go to the original mix. If you want centered bass and vocals and drums...go to the mono mix.

3. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

Maybe the fallacy is that these aren't errors and you need to let it go.
    I think the comments being made are worthy of discussion. Certain things sound like errors - they're certainly not on the originals and detract from the performance - eg the piano after THINK in BOJAY, missing piano in ADITL.
    I see no problem with fixing obvious errors in the originals - the dropout in Day Tripper for example.

4. stevenson66g

Actually it's not my favourite George song from the Pepper sessions.

tinnox likes this.
  5. stevenson66g

Actually I would say the point for me is to create a great new stereo mix that features all (and only) the components that made the original. I don't want a carbon copy - obviously - so we don't get some of the poor stereo placements of the originals, but something that enhances the sound keeping the original feel and the original parts.

tinnox likes this.
  6. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

What you’re describing isn’t a remix. It’s a glorified remaster.

7. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

However, there's no reason the core albums can't be released in slightly smaller sets. I'm guessing 2 or 3 CDs at best. Remixed stereo. Outtakes, session takes and demos where they exist. Associated singles too. Of course this would differ a bit with THIS release, but there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules. If it sells, there will be more releases in the future. This WILL sell. Ron

8. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

9. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

When they finally go back to Revolver & earlier, I'm not sure whether there's the amount of genuinely interesting outtakes for 5 or 6 Disc sets.

2 disc sure, 3 disc maybe, but not the size of the ones we're getting now.

beatleroadie and tinnox like this.
  10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I would do a box a year for the pre-Pepper stuff. (Obvs add 1962 to the 1963 box).

bluejimbop and tinnox like this.
  11. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

That could work pretty well. Solves the "lack of worthy outtakes" problems of an album-by-album strategy for boxsets.

bluejimbop and tinnox like this.
  12. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I've always thought the value of remixing old material should be to fix deficiencies like poor stereo spread or wonky/crude panning.

I've always thought a remix should just sound like a better VINTAGE mix.

If you play both mixes from another room they should sound the same. Maybe you could improve the balances a little bit or improve the presence on a vocal.

A new mix from a better generation source is almost always going to have better fidelity anyways as long as the remixer doesn't screw it up and knows what went into making the original mix sound the way it does.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  13. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

They could simply bundle two albums together for whatever year they are covering:

2023 - Please Please Me + With The Beatles + bonus disc
    2024 - A Hard Day's Night + Beatles For Sale + bonus disc
    2025 - Help! + Rubber Soul + bonus disc

And then Revolver in 2026 and then the cycle is complete.

14. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I hope we don’t have to wait until 2026 for Revolver! How about 55th anniversary version in 2021? :)

The early albums can be pushed back to allow demixing technology to keep evolving and getting better.,

15. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

There's no need to tie these releases to anniversaries, and I don't think they will wait till 2023 just for that.

16. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

NumberEight and tinnox like this.
  17. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

True, regarding studio material, but there's a lot of video from the earlier era too. Certainly that can be used to augment sets, but I'd rather keep them streamlined when possible. Ron

TimR and tinnox like this.
  18. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I don’t think they will always wait for an anniversary for some of the other albums but it’s weather the material is there for a 6-7 disc set.

tinnox likes this.
  19. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I believe that, after a copy of the collage was made in 1968, the collage was dismantled and the separate elements were given back to the Beatles.

20. taramark

taramark Forum Resident

The early albums can be pushed back to allow demixing technology to keep evolving and getting better.,[/QUOTE]

I'd rather they didn't demix anything.

tinnox likes this.
  21. Colocally

But was re assembled a few years before Hamilton's death. Earlier in the thread there was a comparison of the original to the reconstruction.

tinnox, ronbow and BuCo like this.
  22. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I made the original post about it:

23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

The first two albums were recorded in two tracks, so not much remixing can be done without demixing. Not to mention the few tracks that are only preserved in mono.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Rolling Stone review yet?

tinnox likes this.
  25. Colocally

How quick I forget. :D

tinnox and BuCo like this.