Bauhaus 40th Anniversary Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by breakingglass, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Don't know, but I had some sort of 2LP Vinyl180 Field, had the posthumous 4AD EP as the 2nd disc IIRC without checking discogs. It wasn't up to much soundwise and was bulky and annoying with the altered packaging so I got rid of it swiftly FWIW.

Ben Adams likes this.
  2. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Wasn’t that one cut by Jonz? Pretty sure they used high res masters for that.

3. BlueSpeedway

Probably, he was doing most Beggars stuff at that time I think? Might have been crackly or bad pressing rather than mastering. I just recall not keeping it for long. Also around that time I got, and swiftly got rid of, the terrible 4 Men With Beards Sky and Burning LPs, and was off vinyl for ages after that!

I do recall now, FWIW that the Vinyl180 The Fall got criticised, but I forget where or what aspect.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Saw them today and... wow... they are looking good. If they sound like they look: :righton:

Since I've got a perfect UK original of the debut, I might just get "Mask"!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  5. BlueSpeedway

I went to get another Field as mine had a manufacturing blob on Double Dare and they were all sold out. Stuck with blobby one for now. I’ve been playing them a lot. They’re not revelatory on the scale of some of the recent Banshees, or say the 2012 AAA Bowie Ziggy, but whatever they did or didn’t do to the sound, I really like listening to them, the more I play them.

The original Field is an awesome thing though, so you’re probably set.

Neonbeam likes this.
  6. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I just tried to order Burning From The Inside and it said sold out in the check out page.

The Arkive

Is it already sold out? Or is it just not available to order yet.

7. BlueSpeedway

That's weird - it should be a pre-order, out Dec 7. I guess they must have sold out of whatever amount they're having manufactured, on pre order to customers and stores.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Are these new transfers, or just the same cuts that were done maybe 5 years ago, that were also supposed to be cut from hi-rez? I have ITFF and Mask from that series.

9. Neonbeam

Got the new, yellow "Mask" today and really like it. It's nice to actually see artwork that doesn't look oversaturated or blurry. As you said, the cover is very accurate.

The sound is also nice, this doesn't sound "digital" by any means, it has a great clarity. Looks Sounds like the "Mask" has finally come off! Pressing quality btw: No unwanted sounds through headphones, played quiet.

Especially with (post) punk, I find myself preferring originals but this is a fantastic reissue. I will follow what you have to say about the next batch and take it from there. Never had "Sky" or "Burning" on vinyl. Tempted to get the new "In The Flat Field" as well but I'm not keen on having so many albums in two versions. At least! :evil:

BlueSpeedway and jimhb like this.
  10. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I just read this on discogs regarding the In the Flat Field reissue : "Mine came MONO on both sides. - When A/B'd it against the original 79/80 vinyl release, it was obvious that it is the Right-Channel panned center and the Left-Channel muted."

11. Neonbeam

Sounds weird. Not only metaphorically. :evil:

But I guess BlueSpeedway would have noticed this? He seems intimately familiar with this music.

12. BlueSpeedway

Mine's not mono, it sounds exactly as it should channel-wise. That person must have something wrong with their system. Plus they don't even know the release date of the album, it was of course 1980 not 1979/80 :)

Neonbeam and jimhb like this.
  13. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I don't know, but I do remember the cover art didn't look so hot. I've avoided Vinyl180 releases mainly due to complaints that I've heard here about poor pressing quality and/or less than stellar sound quality. The only Vinyl180 release I have is Lotus Eaters' No Sense of Sin, which is actually a perfectly decent, quiet, good sounding pressing.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I was asking because I actually have it, and it sounds pretty damn good to my ears - seems like it's from the master used for the CD box set - but of course I'm always interested in a possible upgrade for an album this formative. It definitely had a few pops and tics when I first got it, but they seem to have been worn away (the old "dehorning" thing). It weirdly has an internal sleeve which is the 1979-1983 comp gatefold - folded in half. :crazy:

I also have Vinyl180's release of the self-titled Echo & The Bunnymen album on translucent vinyl, and it's fine too.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

It's rather amazing that the Bauhaus catalogue has seen so many recent vinyl reissues, 2008, 2013 and now 2018.

Hopefully this new series will see a compilation collecting all non-album tracks.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That would kick ass. But considering how BB has fumbled other reissue projects ... I mean, why would you release a Tones On Tail compilation titled Everything! and leave off several tracks?

For that matter, although Crackle is a fine beast, I think a lot of people would love to see a reissue of '79-'83. Gold foil touches on the cover, original limited edition booklet....

jimhb and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  17. Neonbeam

"79-83" is indeed a great compilation. It's visually striking and offers a handy mix of album and non-album tracks. The downside: It's basically too long to be only two vinyls records. "Crackle" on the other hand is missing key tracks.

A new compilation wouldn't be such a bad idea. They only needed to decide if they'd rather do a "Best Of" or a collection of rarities. Wait.... what about the BBC sessions? :biglaugh:

18. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

I think you're probably better off getting near mint pressings of the original releases..... At least we know they're entirely analogue mastered etc.

19. BlueSpeedway

Interestingly there was a 2CD mini LP reissue of 1979-1983 in 2004, Very accurate with all the inserts although the gold foil is not done. But at least the album had one reappearance over the years, but this third release of Crackle seems to mean that's it for Bauhaus compilations now :(

20. Neonbeam

So what? The new "Mask" sounds different. Which makes this interesting.

Ben Adams likes this.
  21. Pavol Stromcek

Ha! Yeah, because near-mint, original pressings of Bauhaus albums are so easy to find! Maybe they're easy to find in the UK, but in the US they've become very elusive.

Ben Adams, patient_ot and hutlock like this.
  22. Neonbeam

Well... obviously it's different in the USA but price and availability of vintage Bauhaus vinyl are not the point.

It's a general negative attitude towards reissues - that I probably have been guilty of in the past as well:angel:. But if a reissue is well made and even offering a new sonic perspective on well familiar material, it's perfectly valid. And this new "Mask" is great. :righton:

BlueSpeedway, Ben Adams and MondoFanM like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A few years ago I found a very nice Canadian copy of TSGO. Never seen a UK copy of anything by the band in the wild.

Neonbeam and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Pulled out this vinyl the other day...

[​IMG]

Still really happy with it! Doesn't have original Bela (though I do have both the CD-single and the old glow-in-the-dark picture vinyl), but unlike Crackle, the songs on 79-83 are in chronological order, which I far prefer, and it sounds GREAT!

Stencil likes this.
  25. Pavol Stromcek

Well, yeah, there does tend to be a blanket dismissal of reissued vinyl these days, which is kinda lame since some reissues have actually been done really well.

But I think price/availability of original Bauhaus vinyl very much IS the point, because I don't think half as many people would care about these reissues if near mint copies of the old LPs were plentiful (and reasonably priced) in the wild.

patient_ot and Neonbeam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.