Movies and their sequel that play seamlessly as one movie when joined together

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yesstiles, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Isn't that different than "The Complete Epic?"

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Maybe Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

seed_drill and David Campbell like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It wouldn't be seamless, but the 2nd through 5th "Trek" movies all follow each other and are connected in a fairly close manner - ie, each sequel picks up with allusions to the events of the prior film.

That wasn't the case for 2 after "TMP", and it wasn't the case with 6 after 5...

Encuentro likes this.
  4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Technologically they're not an exact match, but "Star Wars" picks up literally minutes after "Rogue One" ends. If you remove the end credits of "Rogue One" and the opening crawl of "Star Wars," the chase plays like one continuous sequence. (There's a bunch of fan cuts on YouTube that do just that.)

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, I get it. I don't think they would feel like the same movie, though.

TheVU likes this.
  6. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I don't know about seamless but the Sunrise Trilogy is just awesome!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

Karate Kid 1 & 2

8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Well sure. But weren’t they all created to BE essentially one giant film in the first place? Even to the point of making them all simultaneously? It’s less a movie and two sequels than it is one movie cut up into three parts, it seems to me.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

While I was watching Darkest Hour that is all I could think of. I had already seen Dunkirk and watching Darkest Hour I felt it would add a very personal and important element (deliberately) missing in Dunkirk. I think it could be put together although not intermixing it. The chronology of Darkest Hour to Dunkirk is more sequential than it is concurrent though there is overlap. Maybe one day after my retirement I will slap it together. Or I will find out someone did it already much better.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Unlike The Hobbit, which might have worked if it was one much smaller film.

EwaWoowa, videoman and yesstiles like this.
  11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Return of the Killer Tomatoes.

(or not)

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't know, but it is not great stretch that a sequel will more often than not, take place at a time frame after the first one has ended.

And thus, be a continuation of the story. That is what a sequel is.

So, T2, followed Terminator. DUH!

Part II follows part I.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, but time lags between the two parts or cast changes can muss up the "seamless" parts. The change in actresses playing Saavik was rather jarring, for example.

14. Squealy

Yes, but they would not join together seamlessly as one movie. Not only is there a time jump of several years between them, the two movies don't look all that similar (as T2 was a much higher-budget, slicker production).

yesstiles likes this.
  15. Squealy

In terms of what we're talking about, it would seem as much like one film as The Lord of the Rings does.... sure, it would be an excessively long film, but it wouldn't feel like three different movies.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

Well, yeah, when cast members abruptly change, like after Richard Harris, (Dumbledore) died, but sometimes those things can't be avoided.

Rachelle Lefevre played the part of Victoria in the first two Twilight Movies, but ditched the third movie and was replaced by Bryce Dallas Howard.

The movies were still seamless, despite the change. All five movies could be streamed together.

Same as Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Insurgent, L.O.T.R., etc...

17. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

The edited scene with Skynet being the factory helped. I thought it was a very similar sequel in so many respects.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Squealy

Of course, it's not like there can't be a time jump within one movie.... however, there usually wouldn't be the sense that one story was ending and another was beginning.

19. SandAndGlass

I don't really see that as a real issue. Movies often jump ahead withing the same movie.

You could string the entire Terminator franchise together and the movies would be jumping all over the place.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It's just snark. My point was that The Hobbit, unlike the LOTRs, is excessively padded and that most of the added stuff is terrible. As are the battle scenes, which actually were from the book. At least Smaug was handled well.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Three Color Trilogy. In many ways they were actually overlapping!

OldSoul and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. Squealy

Well sure there are connections and similarities, but the original Terminator has a pretty B-movie feel, while T2 is an A-list summer blockbuster. And John Conner is now a character in it, and Sarah Conner looks and acts very different, and the Arnold-terminator plays a different role in the story.... I feel it is two consecutive stories, not one story broken in half.

yesstiles likes this.
  23. Squealy

Outside of the sci-fi/fantasy franchise world... the second Harold and Kumar movie picks up right after the first one ended.

genesim likes this.
  24. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The Rum Diary followed by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Try it!

25. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Couldn't disagree more. Her character follows very closely with the first to me and is the natural trajectory you see with first film end.

Arnold being a different role still follows the story to me because he is like Kyle Reese. The fair comparison is Arnold to T-1000. There are so many similarities but yet updates. Scenes feel like carbon copies with little flairs. Like Arnold crashing through the glass again only it being for an opposite reason...etc.

I thought they merged great. Each to his own.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.