"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Drunks in the studio" may be the only thing that doesn't meet the the criteria. It was a OHW, they were all Latino, and the label said it was recorded live at "The Ryhthm Room" which may have been a club with most likely some drunks in the audience. They just weren't "in the studio".

2. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Silver Star on 46! Was pretty sure, but verified online.

3. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I had known but forgotten about the LB member involvement with the other group.

So Tin star on 46.

4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I had to look them up to make sure they didn't have another Top 40 hit, so gave myself the Silver. I could have sworn the follow-up got there but it may have just been a local thing.

5. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION .....

11/3/18

This song was controversial in some markets and one of the members was formerly with The Left Banke.

"Brother Louie" / Stories
    Kama Sutra Records #1 1973

Keyboardist Michael Brown was formerly with The Left Bank ("Walk Away Rene" & "Pretty Ballerina"). His father was close to lead singer Ian Lloyd's father as they were both session violinists. The guys were introduced to each other and they formed the group Stories. The song "Brother Louie" was an afterthought for their second album because it was a cover of the Hot Chocolate version which was a hit in England. Some still racially sensitive cities had negative reactions to the biracial love ballad but that didn't stop it from reaching #1.

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!

NEW QUESTION.........

This guy was born in Jakarta, Indonesia and raised in Germany. That's all you get.

Please choose from the answer options above........

6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The caveat for #46 is that by the time Stories recorded “Brother Louie,” Michael Brown had left the band. He appeared on their second album, About Us, but “Brother Louie” was a single release that was not originally on the album.

When it became a hit, About Us was reissued with the single appended to the end of it. I have an original copy without it; those are somewhat rare.

7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Never knew it was a cover of an earlier recording.

But I liked that track so much I bought the LP it was on. Can't remember anything else on the album.

If I was a DJ, I'd make a triple play with the Janis Ian song and Black Pearl by the Checkmates. I'm relentless :)

8. John B Good

Tin Star. And loved the album!

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Silver for me. The Jakarta part was no help but I took a leap of faith with Germany and was right. I did not care for this one but now I'm hungry.

Farmer Mike and John B Good like this.
  10. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Re "Brother Louie": As mentioned, Hot Chocolate did it first.

A year earlier, another Hot Chocolate single was more popular in the U.S. as a cover: "You Could Have Been a Lady," which was the first American hit for April Wine.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  11. John B Good

The Hot Chocolate song I remember is I Believe in Miracles

12. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Didn't know the musician's background at all, so I'm a Tinman again on 47.

13. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Tin for #47. I remember a bunch of elderly mall walkers buying that 45 while it was hot.

troggy and Damiano54 like this.
  14. Oldies trivia guy

The correct title is "You Sexy Thing".

O Don Piano likes this.
  15. downer

downer Senior Member

Silver star

16. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

He also wrote Mohair Sam

17. Oldies trivia guy

Thanks, but I already made that correction a couple of days ago.

18. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

According to the rules of the game, you only post Gold Star if you absolutely know it. There seems to be doubt on these posts, so you could go ahead and post your guesses, and you wouldn’t get a star, but you would contribute to the conversation, which is what the OP intended.

19. Oldies trivia guy

Yea, I've noticed that also.

20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Pretty sure I get a gold star for #47. If I'm right, it's thanks to Casey Kasem.

I also knew #46 but wasn't here over the weekend to play.

#45 I had as either the Premiers or Cannibal & the Headhunters. The Premiers seemed like the better answer but I couldn't remember if they'd had a 2nd top 40 hit.

21. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

All true; "The Left Banke" was a pretty gigantic clue to me.
    Lest we forget, Hot Chocolate Band were also briefly on the Apple label; here's their "Give Peace a Chance":

22. Oldies trivia guy

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION.....

This guy was born in Jakarta, Indonesia and raised in Germany. That's all you get.

"Puttin' On The Ritz" / Taco
    RCA Victor Records #4 1983

Yes, his real name is Taco, Taco Ockerse, born in Jakarta to Dutch parents. He was raised in Germany where he played Chico in a German remake of West Side Story. When he started working in clubs with his group, Taco's Bizz, he started updating nostalgic numbers like this Irving Berlin classic. Many others also appeared on his album "Taco After Eight".

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have five choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to confirm your initial thought and look it up, post a SILVER STAR , with the same criteria as in #1.

3. If you want to take the time to research the answer, post a TIN STAR. Same criteria as #1.

4. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

5. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!

NEW QUESTION.......

11/5/18

After this "clean cut" group called it quits, one did backing vocals for Keith Moon's "Two sides of the Moon" album, one played guitar for the Stone Canyon Band, one became a dentist and one appeared as a bachelor on "The Dating Game".

Please choose from the answer options above........

23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Well, I was wrong about that one. No star.

24. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Gold Star. The dentist gave it away for me. And the "clean cut" group.

25. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Thanks for including one from my era, but I totally bombed! I remember the song (Paul Gambacini had a US charts show over here on Sat afternoons), but Taco??? Nah, I'd never have got that.

#47 Tin star. Got it after quite a bit of detective work. That's detective work, not secret agent work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.